Review Qualifying Final vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Champion Data tables, not a lot of green or red which means players performed within their +or - 30% range to their average which isn't surprising given the pressure of a QF.

Xscore Port 52 v Actual 58
Xscore Gee 57 v Actual 42

Marks I50 Port 4 for 3.1, Geelong 10 for 1.7 (Hawkins missed his first shot and went OOB. Parfitt handballed to Ablett who snapped but Lycett marked it on the 1st quarter siren)
Frees I50 Port 2 for 1.1, Geelong 1 for 0.1

Lycett lost the hitouts but had most hitouts to advantage 5/20 and 4 clearances. Ladhams had 3 HOA from 4 HO.
Stanley hitouts to advantage 4/17 and 2 clearances, Blicavs had 3/16 and Hawkins 0/3

SPP got 5 clearances in the first 10 minutes then nothing else for the rest of the game. Wines, Rocky and DBJ joined him with 5. We won clearances 39 v 31 and centre clearances 9 v 7.

Motlops ratings pts was 80% higher than his season average.

1601700625164.png

1601700647562.png

Last edited:
Champion Data produce all the stats and ratings.

Their Supercoach ratings said Hawkins had a big game and was a top 5 contributor for Geelong.

1601701828469.png

Yet their AFL Ratings algorithm said he made almost no contribution. Go figure that out.

1601701934606.png

Can someone confirm, is the replay scoreboard always about 1-2 seconds delay behind the game?

It was infuriating during the game. Being behind the goals and not being able to see all the way to the other end, you'd switch between live and screen and you'd hear a roar, then actually see what happened. Hated that.

Can someone confirm, is the replay scoreboard always about 1-2 seconds delay behind the game?

Thursday night was the only time I’ve ever noticed this. Hopefully a one-off.

Champion Data tables, not a lot of green or red which means players performed within their +or - 30% range to their average which isn't surprising given the pressure of a QF.

Xscore Port 52 v Actual 58
Xscore Gee 57 v Actual 42

Marks I50 Port 4 for 3.1, Geelong 10 for 1.7 (Hawkins missed his first shot and went OOB. Parfitt handballed to Ablett who snapped but Lycett marked it on the 1st quarter siren)
Frees I50 Port 2 for 1.1, Geelong 1 for 0.1

Lycett lost the hitouts but had most hitouts to advantage 5/20 and 4 clearances. Ladhams had 3 HOA from 4 HO.
Stanley hitouts to advantage 4/17 and 2 clearances, Blicavs had 3/16 and Hawkins 0/3

SPP got 5 clearances in the first 10 minutes then nothing else for the rest of the game. Wines, Rocky and DBJ joined him with 5. We won clearances 39 v 31 and centre clearances 9 v 7.

Motlops ratings pts was 80% higher than his season average.

View attachment 976440

View attachment 976441
Check out that pressure points score from Rockliff - 86. Anyone have any ideas on records in this area?

parkermeltdown_hd.original.jpg

They both had a plan. A really good plan.

Check out that pressure points score from Rockliff - 86. Anyone have any ideas on records in this area?
I reckon someone recorded a 90 odd last year. Don't know if it's the record..

On replay two thing that stood out to me:
1. SPP was incredibly clean in his ball handling. In congestion or picking the ball up at pace, he one grabbed everything. Didn’t waste a possession either. SPP’s come to that experience level where he knows exactly how much time he has when in possession and doesn’t need to rush even in a high pressure final. The football world is sleeping on how good SPP is and will become.
2. Rocky’s tackling. Is there a stat for the ratio of frees against per tackle? He has an amazing ability to execute legal tackles no matter what the opposition player is doing, and they always stick.

Every Adelaide Crows supporter i've encountered since Thursday except for one has informed me we only won due to Geelong's poor kicking for goal.

North Melbourne - 6. 15. (51)
Adelaide - 4. 3. (27)

This was the half time score in the 1998 AFL Grand Final. Had North kicked straight that afternoon (and they were missing absolute sitters) the crows were staring down the barrel of their own 119. You'd all do well to remember this.
Furthermore, had the AFL's dumb finals system of the day not rewarded a week one loser from outside the top 4 you'd currently be sitting on the same number of flags as Freo.

Every Adelaide Crows supporter i've encountered since Thursday except for one has informed me we only won due to Geelong's poor kicking for goal.

Crows supporters showing a fundamental misunderstanding of how the game is played. A tale as old as time.

You'd think given some of the narrative surrounding the game that Geelong missed 12 shots from the goalsquare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Melbourne - 6. 15. (51)
Adelaide - 4. 3. (27)

This was the half time score in the 1998 AFL Grand Final. Had North kicked straight that afternoon (and they were missing absolute sitters) the crows were staring down the barrel of their own 119. You'd all do well to remember this.
Furthermore, had the AFL's dumb finals system of the day not rewarded a week one loser from outside the top 4 you'd currently be sitting on the same number of flags as Freo.
What did the other guy say?

Crows supporters showing a fundamental misunderstanding of how the game is played. A tale as old as time.

You'd think given some of the narrative surrounding the game that Geelong missed 12 shots from the goalsquare.

Its as hideous as the commentary that says "5.12 should have been 12.5".
Sorry, but that isn't how it works. When a behind is scored the ball remains in that teams forward line, allowing them to press up and apply pressure on the kick in, often resulting in repeat scores.
If just one of those behinds is a goal the ball goes back to the middle for a bounce and all of history is significantly altered.
I was in the car before and heard one of the commentsors say "St Kilda may come to rue that miss from Membrey if the Dogs win by less than a kick". Actually, Membrey kicked a behind and St Kilda kicked a goal not long after, because the ball remained in their half of the field, effectively turning what would have been 6 points into 7.

I'm babbling. Anyway, my main point is we weren't dominated in the first half by Geelomg. Adelaide was completely dominated by North Melbourne in the first half of the '98 GF.

For those doubting To
Watched the replay yesterday arvo before the other QF last night.

If Marshall is in as much pain as Tredders said he thought he was re raising his arms above his head to go for a mark then he would have overcome that pain about 12 times after he came back on and got involved in marking contests. Probably helps he was on some good stuff administered by Doc Fisher or his colleague.

Want to highlight this bit of play in the 3rd quarter. Todd didn't mark the ball but made a contest, charlie swoops on it and gives it to mots who snaps but is smothered, then ebo crumbs and kicks his second goal.

View attachment 976431 View attachment 976432

View attachment 976433 View attachment 976434

He was involved in our last three goals. This 1 on 2 against two high quality intercept marks where he brings it to ground. Ladhams goal, first contest to bring to ground, then the sealer. Low possession, huge influence.

it should have been a ball up. Neither of them marked it.

I've gone back and forth but I disagree with this now. Duursma was the man in front and came down with it in his arms.

The benefit of the doubt with 2 players grabbing it simultaneously is paid to the player in front, and in this case he came down with it anyway. I know he only had one hand on it but that shouldn't change how it's adjudicated.

Duursma obviously wasn't taking a shot for goal, but someone in a Port guernsey should have been.

I've gone back and forth but I disagree with this now. Duursma was the man in front and came down with it in his arms.

The benefit of the doubt with 2 players grabbing it simultaneously is paid to the player in front, and in this case he came down with it anyway. I know he only had one hand on it but that shouldn't change how it's adjudicated.

Duursma obviously wasn't taking a shot for goal, but someone in a Port guernsey should have been.

Bounce it was the result

It was infuriating during the game. Being behind the goals and not being able to see all the way to the other end, you'd switch between live and screen and you'd hear a roar, then actually see what happened. Hated that.
Thursday night was the only time I’ve ever noticed this. Hopefully a one-off.
It's been like that at every game this year, though some weeks seem to be worse than others. So frustrating.

Champion Data produce all the stats and ratings.

Their Supercoach ratings said Hawkins had a big game and was a top 5 contributor for Geelong.

View attachment 976451

Yet their AFL Ratings algorithm said he made almost no contribution. Go figure that out.

View attachment 976452
Probably: two different tools; two different perspectives. Since I have no clue on either formula, I can't help answering what makes them different. However, his game looks weird.

Hawkins seems to have been good defensively and in contests, while also having 9 scoring involvements. Besides, he had no stats on red. Still, his DE% was low, and he kicked 0.5:5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back