Autopsy R3 v Dockers @ Optus Stadium Sat 7th @ 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Nic Nat will give players around him silver service but he isn't going to get 30+ touches and rip us to shreds like Fyfe can.
no but his hitouts turn u/15s quality mids into AFL quality players.
theres hitouts, hitouts to advantage, and nicnat hitouts.

Nic Nat is quality. But so far he has rucked against Callum Sinclair, Tim English and no Geelong ruckman. None of them are of noted quality

Be interesting to see what Nic Nat does against a more established ruck.

Last edited:

For me he is probably the 7th or 8th best ruckman in the comp. Overrated.
his leap cannot be underrated. witts will be able to contest well at ball ups and throw ins to a certain extent, but natanui's leap at centre clearances or any opportunity he gets to take a run at it will be damaging.

Honestly, I've never rated a game from NicNat with just his tap work. It's good, but tap work alone doesn't make a great ruckman. When he's on song, he's running around the ground, using his big body to shepherd, tackle opponents, and take solid marks.

Hitouts are overrated, but ruckman aren't overrated - if they're doing more than hitouts. Basically, the classiest hitout is no more impressive than a midfielder's classiest handball. So, if you have a ruckman that gains s**t tons of hitouts to advantage, but doesn't do the other stuff, it's basically worth as much as having a midfielder who handballs all the time, but doesn't do anything else.

However! Last game, NicNat did more than win the tapping contest against Geelong's phantom ruckmen. Whoever was in the selection committee for Geelong were woeful, because what really damaged Geelong was NicNat's ability to roam the ground uninhibited - nobody to directly compete against him for marks, pressure acts around the contest, except a couple undersized 'make-do' ruckmen. There's a reason he was able to so freely gain Clearances off his own tap work. Nobody big enough was able to impede him. NicNat got to play a game of bruise free football as a result of that woeful decision by Geelong selectors, so it's no surprise he was able to get off the chain - like any decent player would (it's like not tagging Ablett, or for his direct opponent to be Aaron Hall or Billy Hartung, for Ablett to suddenly start dishing out silver service into his forward line, then being shocked).

Nic Nat is a jet - 20 of his hitouts are more valuable than 30-40 of any other ruckman. Best ruckman I've seen at being able to tap to his team's advantage with precision.

Not to mention he is as explosive as a Dangerfield with ball in hand but is a 110kg monster. Can tackle, break tackles and burst through congestion. His skills and footy nous outside of those attributes aren't anything amazing but who really cares. Those attributes alone have a huge influence on games.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Nic Nat is a jet - 20 of his hitouts are more valuable than 30-40 of any other ruckman. Best ruckman I've seen at being able to tap to his team's advantage with precision.

Not to mention he is as explosive as a Dangerfield with ball in hand but is a 110kg monster. Can tackle, break tackles and burst through congestion. His skills and footy nous outside of those attributes aren't anything amazing but who really cares. Those attributes alone have a huge influence on games.

This. he's never never gonna be a Stef Martin, Dean Cox type running around like another Mid, but he has just as big an influence in other ways.
Nic Nat is pretty much the reason Priddis has a Brownlow.

That is a bit overrated , he provide something different than the normal hitout ruckmen like sandilands ,witts and lycett. Tim English will be another different type of Ruckmen coming up .

That is a bit overrated , he provide something different than the normal hitout ruckmen like sandilands ,witts and lycett. Tim English will be another different type of Ruckmen coming up .
Think you might eat your words on Saturday. He could tear us to shreds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really , callum sinclair , tim english , geelong Ruckmen estava ?
Pretty sure Scotty was focussing on the 'hes overrated' part, rather than the quality of his opposition part. though to be fair Cal Sinclair is no slouch, I really wish WCE had traded Lycett rather than Sinclair the year they had to make that choice.

Pretty sure Scotty was focussing on the 'hes overrated' part, rather than the quality of his opposition part. though to be fair Cal Sinclair is no slouch, I really wish WCE had traded Lycett rather than Sinclair the year they had to make that choice.
I think people here need to talk more about Witts than Nit Nat ,Sinclair is no slouch but he is not grundy , gawn, martin , sandi . Callum only play as second ruck last year and his time with West coast too.

Nah not kidding.
My opinion but i can see why others value him so highly. The same with cyril rioli. Just one of those players that look like they have a huge impact but stats dont show it.
Varied opinion here on Nic Nat.
I believe his the most influental big man in the game, his athlelicism ,hit outs, tackling and awesome presence separate him from all other ruckman.
I rate Gawn and Grundy as terrific big men but I would take a super fit Nic Nat into a final Series before any other. He has the ability to change
the game in the matter of minutes.Wont mind him pulling a hammy early Saturday.
But we all can have different opinions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back