VFL 2024 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 2 - 21 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite funny that I like the look of our team make up in 3-4 years more than our current AFL team. We have brute force in the ones when we're healthy but we could be really dangerous if all of Wilson, Cowan, Binns, Monahan etc come on as we hope.

Will have some serious run and carry
We need to lock Cowan in so that Tassie can't get him!
Yet another that's wasting time at half back.

Monahan is still a way off but he's a mighty impressive athlete. Reminds me of Acres in that hard running brick s**t house type of build. Hopefully being Irish he ends up a better kick.
Both of them still have a bit to go, but Monahan especially. He looks to have very good balance and instinct too. Excited to see his development over the next 18 months or so

Cowan highlights an issue I have with development. He is an attacking hard running player. Cincotta the same

Yet when they come into our senior side they seem to play lockdown defensive roles

I just feel we blunt so many talented players
Yes I'm usually one of the more bullish ones about our prospects but what you highlight concerns me greatly.

You don't really see it much elsewhere in the comp, maybe somewhat in Ross Lyon defense first type sides but even then they have some exciting attacking players, so obviously have some licence when they have the ability.

Moir put his hand up I see…..
2 kicks, 1 goal…..:drunk:
I'm not one to say I'd do better than an AFL player in many cases other than with set shots, but I'm absolutely convinced I could apply better defensive pressure than him. Body just looks miles off it with repeat efforts.

Still capable of a good mark and uses the ball well but it's definitely a concern. Was the same reason his draft stocks tanked so hard last year.

Managed to watch almost all of this game. Some thoughts on our youngsters:

- Cowan: A cut above VFL level. Finds space for himself, assured with the ball and willing to take on the difficult kicks. Once he adjusts to AFL speed, he’ll be a very good player for us. A real shining light today.

- Binns: Excellent accumulator at VFL level. Finds the ball at ease. However, his disposal, especially his kicking, needs a bit of work. Looks a likely type but needs to work out his ball use before he takes the next step.

- Wilson: Has AFL attributes - speed and a good kick (although admittedly he shanked a few today). He’s very raw so will require more time in the VFL but definitely think he’s worth persisting with. Another pre season will do him wonders.

- Moir: Has tricks. Can kick on both feet. Capable of the brilliant. However, his application and engagement is way too inconsistent at the moment. Struggling to stay involved in the game and put in repeat efforts. Needs a big pre season. I suspect he’s coasted by a bit on talent as a junior but needs to be more than that to make it in the seniors. Has all the physical tools.

Cowan highlights an issue I have with development. He is an attacking hard running player. Cincotta the same

Yet when they come into our senior side they seem to play lockdown defensive roles

I just feel we blunt so many talented players
Add Kemp as well to that list.

I'm glad to see we are looking to develop some of our quicker young players on the ball because the group we have at the moment are not good enough to win us a flag.

We need to work a lot harder at tuning up our midfield. I never thought of Cowan in there but hey, he's hard, a good kick and has some pace so why not!

Quite funny that I like the look of our team make up in 3-4 years more than our current AFL team. We have brute force in the ones when we're healthy but we could be really dangerous if all of Wilson, Cowan, Binns, Monahan etc come on as we hope.

Will have some serious run and carry
By the time that team comes together the game will have moved on and our current side would’ve been better suited. We always seem out of step with the winning trends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cowan and Kemp are big bodied runners with good skills.

Develop them more around the middle and we will see the benefits

Totally agree. Kemp is a fast player with good endurance and a natural footballer. Imagine how good he would be using his pace, strong body and overhead game on the wing and then dropping back in defence as the lose man. It's crazy how we can see this but not those in charge? Or maybe they can and he's sitting in defence because we have had injuries. Kemp is an offensive player being forced into a lockdown role.

Cowan doing well on the ball excites me. We are desperate for midfielders who have closing speed. Cowan also comes with hardness and a good kick. Modern day defensive midfielder who applies pressure with closing speed and not as a wrestling tagger, that could be him. He's talented and he competes.

I think when you see players being hesitant, that second guessing comes from players natural game being stifled. Overcoached, too much instruction.

Last edited:
I said it practically all of last year and probably close to 1000 times after we got linked to him. Couldn't believe we traded down to nab him instead of taking Collard or trading up for Wilson/Leake who have speed and foot skills to burn.

Hoping he comes good but think if he's going to make it he'll be a very slow burn. He looks miles off it physically.

Super harsh commentary on Moir. He is a young kid who needs some pre-seasons under his belt but has the tools to be a super addition. Is a super competitive in nature but also a really nice kid.

Collard got one touch in his first run for the Saints and didn't look like it. Is more of a chance to be a bust that Moir and greater go-home factor. He's fast though. :think:

Seeing as a million clubs were trying to trade into the first round last year, we just didn't have the picks and the expectation was we'd be high on the ladder this year so futures weren't that attractive. All good in hindsight to say you wanted players we had no chance of drafting.

I'm more concerned about Wilson at this stage who was taken before others as he was said to be seen as midfielder. At the moment he's had next to no midfield minutes (even at the lower level) and is well behind the million other half back runners we have. At least we recruited Moir for a position that we need someone to play and he has shown he can hit the scoreboard from even limited possessions. He'll only get better from here.

Super harsh commentary on Moir. He is a young kid who needs some pre-seasons under his belt but has the tools to be a super addition. Is a super competitive in nature but also a really nice kid.

Collard got one touch in his first run for the Saints and didn't look like it. Is more of a chance to be a bust that Moir and greater go-home factor. He's fast though. :think:

Seeing as a million clubs were trying to trade into the first round last year, we just didn't have the picks and the expectation was we'd be high on the ladder this year so futures weren't that attractive. All good in hindsight to say you wanted players we had no chance of drafting.

I'm more concerned about Wilson at this stage who was taken before others as he was said to be seen as midfielder. At the moment he's had next to no midfield minutes (even at the lower level) and is well behind the million other half back runners we have. At least we recruited Moir for a position that we need someone to play and he has shown he can hit the scoreboard from even limited possessions. He'll only get better from here.
Vehemently disagree with this. Moir has tools to make it as a medium forward but has almost no ticker. He gives up on chases before they start and frequently just sticks an arm out feigning intent as opponents waltz past him, pressure is genuinely Mirkov levels bad. They were his flaws in his draft year too and they look to still be prevalent at this stage. Does that mean he can't improve? No... But if he doesn't get that part of his game right, he will not make it in the AFL, no matter how skilful he is as an opportunist.

Collard vs Moir is speculation but Collard's athletic traits are far more translatable for the modern game. Elite speed, elite agility and very good endurance. Moir has a great leap and a good step but poor endurance and average speed. Which one will end up better? Who knows, my pick was Collard but I can understand the punt on Moir.

Ultimately if Ashton gets his body right and develops into the player he was projected as early on then he'll be absolutely phenomenal for us and all we can can do as fans is back him in, but performances like today in the VFL aren't a good sign for where he's at.

Are you Moirs mum or best mate? It's not harsh when it's been the major issue for him the last 3 years.

Not only were clubs were trying to trade up/into the 1st round, we had multiple clubs trying to trade for our 2nd round pick. I'm sure that we tried to trade up - by memory, Austin even said as much - but when you get the Doodoros of the world giving up an early 2nd rounder to move up one spot in the 1st round, your pushing shizen uphill.

Either way, I agree re: Moir. He still needs to work on a few components of his game that the coaches will be all over, but you can see that he has AFL qualities in spades. Even today, you could see on multiple times that he was in position for the quick kick or handball, which never came.

I reckon that he'll be one of those who's more suited at AFL level surrounded by better players.

Imagine a world where teams knew he was the only guy we have that can hit a target...

Then watch Friday night and see that he was looked for at every opportunity coming out of defence but Sydney were all over it.
Yeah I thought Sydney paid him more attention than others but I still think we rarely look for him around the ground. Even on kick outs he'll frequently be the first to grab it and be told to palm it off to Newman, Gov or Williams to take it.

I'd just like to see him more involved, love what he brings to the table and every time he gets it I'm excited for what he'll do... Just need to get him up to a 25-30 touch player rather than a 15-20.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back