Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if they were brought up here they'd be Aussie, not paki

Is your assertion that for 40+ years the term Paki has been a racially derogatory term? And not a typical shortening of a name - ala Aussies, Windies, bangers, etc
As a collective sure, it's a shortening. But you wouldn't refer to someone in the street as a Paki. My apologies for the miscommunication.

But who actually takes a banana to the footy though?
I took my crazy old man to G and he was horrified that I spent $10 on a sandwich, so last week he brought everything "just in case": I'm talking bananas, oranges, apples, take-away samosas, sandwiches, potato cakes... mother*er bought a banquet.

Anyway the best bit was he even snuck in a proper kitchen knife in so he could dice up the fruit. Crafty bugger hid it in a newspaper he kept in his hands. So glad he stuck to the samosas and potato cakes, i'm not sure how the good people of the MCC would have reacted to some crazy old *er pulling a knife out of a beaten up herald-sun.

Probably best I pat him down myself before the next game...

Yeah nah Paki is not a term of endearment, I don't know anyone in Australia that would actually say that to the face of a Pakistani even if they were brought up in Australia.

Bloke I know was called Paki. Those were the first two syllables of his 6-syllable surname.

True story.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bloke I know was called Paki. Those were the first two syllables of his 6-syllable surname.

True story.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There is a bloke (African chap) working here in Perth Ive met a few times whose name is 'Chimpo'.

Lovely bloke. ******* hate saying his name aloud in public though. Or referring to him by name.

'Speak to Chimpo over there' while pointing at him always gets a few looks.

Didn't hurt Billy Birmingham's career using the term Paki (& similar terms).

Not sure how that sort of comedy would viewed if it was released now.

Certain things have been co-opted and made unclean. The three-letter contraction of 'Aboriginal' was routinely used in the schoolyard without a hint of pejorative. We studied Aboriginal life but we didn't personally know any Aboriginals, and weren't aware at that stage of any of the negative stereotypes; they were simply people who lived 'somewhere else'.

The three-letter contraction of 'Aboriginal' was routinely used in the schoolyard without a hint of pejorative.
Not sure that's true.

I'm probably remembering the adjectives usually used with it but it certainly wasn't a term of endearment.

Besides, it's not up to non-indigenous people to decide if it's offensive to them. It's not really a big imposition to stop using a term if you know people find it offensive. Context is always important too.

Last edited:
No sure that's true.

I'm probably remembering the adjectives usually used with it but it certainly wasn't a term of endearment.

Besides, it's not up to non-indigenous people to decide if it's offensive to them. It's not really a big imposition to stop using a term if you know people find it offensive. Context is always important too.

Sure. But you can see how e.g. Dipper got into trouble a few years back.

There was a widely-broadcast TV ad, late 70's or early 80's, in which an Aboriginal ran through a list of insulting nicknames he'd been called before appealing for more humane treatment. The three-letter word wasn't among them.

Sure. But you can see how e.g. Dipper got into trouble a few years back.

There was a widely-broadcast TV ad, late 70's or early 80's, in which an Aboriginal ran through a list of insulting nicknames he'd been called before appealing for more humane treatment. The three-letter word wasn't among them.

Walk down Redfern screaming it at the top of your lungs and see how you get on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paki in Australia is a term of endearment and a typical shortening of the full name pakistani as we do with Windies

Just because it has a different connotation to Indians living in England should have no bearing on its use over here
Indians have a lot of terms for Pakistanis, and vice versa.
None of them are flattering that's for sure.

This also demonstrates an interesting difference between xenophobia/bigotry/predudice and true racism.

Indians and Pakistanis/Bangladeshis as a rule have a loathing for each others cultures that they express freely in the most extreme and insulting terms.
Yet since they belong to the same race it's hardly racism.

It's pretty gentrified.

We've all seen the doco's. I looked up a few forum threads started by people concerned they had to live/work/study in Redfern. Some respondents said it was OK, others advised caution - don't do this, don't do that. But I take the point that things have improved.

My preference would be to get Eddie with the young girl and chat it out

I'm not of the belief that you need a sledgehammer to put a tac in the wall

This was a banana not a surface to air missile

A peeved off fan ......ok she did the wrong thing but calling for life bans is just way over the top

How about the girl and Eddie meet over a coffee .....she would walk a away a wiser person

We've all seen the doco's. I looked up a few forum threads started by people concerned they had to live/work/study in Redfern. Some respondents said it was OK, others advised caution - don't do this, don't do that. But I take the point that things have improved.
It's a reasonably desirable inner-city neighbourhood. No worse than Smith St.

I guess it would be a bit scary if you are unsettled by crowds or loud noises.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back