10. Collingwood 11
11. Hawthorn 12
12. Adelaide 17
13. Collingwood 02
14. Collingwood 03
15. Fremantle 13
16. Port 07
17. West Coast 15

Don’t agree on Brisbane 04 who were cooked after the three peat but Essendon 01 vs Geelong 08 would have been a classic

1. Collingwood 2011 (seriously, they had 182% before the final round)
2. Geelong 2008
3. St Kilda 2009
4. Hawthorn 2012
5. Sydney 2016
6. West Coast 2015
7. Sydney 2014
8. Fremantle 2013
9. Brisbane 2004
10. Essendon 2001
11. Adelaide 2017
12. West Coast 2005
13. Sydney 2006
14. Collingwood 2003
15. St Kilda 2010
16. Melbourne 2000 (why did everyone forget them for some reason?)
17. Port Adelaide 2007
18. Collingwood 2002 (they could miss the eight if they played nowadays)
Because 2000 wasn't this century

Is 2000 this century? This always gets me.
logically yes, as years start from 0. A baby isnt born 1 year old, so the first 10 years of its life is from 0-9. When they are 10, they are starting their second decade.

however in practice no, 2000 was last century. Old school Christians didnt believe in the concept of 0, so the calendar is considered to have gone from -1 BC to 1 AD overnight. there was no year zero, meaning the first century was from 1 to 100, and we didn't start our second hundred years until 101.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the season, yes, but the Cats who turned up on grand final day werent anything special, the hawks werent either.

Except that guy called Stuart Dew though, decided the match. absolute standout.

Hodge got BOG but his opponents kept well clear of him or skulked in the pockets (Mooney) But those cats teams were never about forward lines were they? usually got the job done with makeshift forward lines (N Ablett Mooney Lonergan Podsiadly)

BTW Hawks 17 wins 131% a creditable premier most seasons, a bit like 1991 (16w 130%) when they also brought down a runanway leader

Last edited:
There have been teams which seemingly on seasons results were very unlucky not to win the prize, if its based on courageous effort I would rate Collingwood's runner-up effort to Brisbane in 2002, the first of the 2 grand finals between the teams. Collingwood were well outgunned yet they were magnificent in their tackling ferocity and determination and unlucky not to beat the Lions with the Lions at their peak. They were glorious in defeat.

That was the day a lifetime of Collingwood hating ended for me, I am not necessarily fond of them mind you but much less antagonistic lol.

There have been teams which seemingly on seasons results were very unlucky not to win the prize, if its based on courageous effort I would rate Collingwood's runner-up effort to Brisbane in 2002, the first of the 2 grand finals between the teams. Collingwood were well outgunned yet they were magnificent in their tackling ferocity and determination and unlucky not to beat the Lions with the Lions at their peak. They were glorious in defeat.

That was the day a lifetime of Collingwood hating ended for me, I am not necessarily fond of them mind you but much less antagonistic lol.
Have seen a lot of GFs and this was the tightest for mine. Low scoring and the pressure from both sides never let up. Think the 9 points at the finish was the biggest difference of the day and that was a little controversial after the Rocca "point" late in the game. It was unexpectedly tight and as close to an honourable GF loss as you could get.

Well, statistically Pies 11 and St.K 09 were very similar

It is probably compounded further by the fact St Kilda were in it until the death of the 2009 GF. Collingwood looked shot 10 seconds into the granny when Varcoe went BANG

That's a little rich given the Cats looked in real trouble mid way through the 2nd Q when Cloke was rampant and the Pies 3 goals up. Even during the 3rd Q it was seesawing with 5 lead changes. Cats got away in the last but it was close til then.
St Kilda of 09 didn't get pumped by 96 points in the last round like you guys did, from walking out of the ground that night I knew we'd be premiers, can't say I ever thought that in 09 until the actual final siren on GF day.

Would have liked to be sitting with you half way through the 2nd Q of the Granny when we were 3 goals up after you started well and Cloke was tearing it up. Interesting to see if your resolve was as strong at that point. All credit to the Cats, deserved the win on that day, but at that point another goal to us, and we did press at that time, and you were close to unravelling.

Cats won the day without doubt but these things do turn on small measures. If it was the Pies who win that last Q and take the flag history would look very differently on those 2 dual premiership teams.

Not trying to take anything away from the Cats of 07-11, one of my great sides of all time but their are moments when sides seize their greatness but the difference between missing those moments often isn't large.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back