Preview Rd 19 Carlton v Hawthorn - Saturday 30th July 2.10PM @ Aurora Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As good as Haw are, looking at the teams I think we match up ok.

Curnow - Mitchell
Kerridge - Lewis

Smaller/mid sized forwardline is suited to our defence, Tuohy, Doc, Simmo and Co. Ruck division of Haw is not a strength. Someone like Josh Gibson could really have a day out against us. Likewise Rioli.

Would think kedge might struggle to get up after the shoulder

Would think kedge might struggle to get up after the shoulder
I'm interested to see whether he misses any games - the impact wasn't at the point of the shoulder like what would cause an AC joint sprain or tear, but was more to the rear and under. Would have jarred like a mofo, but if his shoulder joint is strong enough and was stable at the time, he might have gotten away with some minor inflammation from the impact and just a real bad ache for a while lol

Sorry for intruding on your board.
Always had a soft spot for the Blues (since late 70's)
I really enjoy the way you guys are going about it this year, upbeat and having a crack. Bigger things to come.
Enjoying what Bolts is doing at the club.
Hope we win but hope you guys go hard too.
I always look forward to Carlton v Hawks reminds me of 70s n 80s.
Bring it

Ill say it again. Bolts loves White. Would be in our top 10-15 picked. He is Mr Fixit. Has played nearly every role imaginable. Really is a great role model for working to get every bit out of yourself.
Those are great reasons to throw around encouragement and use an individual as a metaphor for the goals of the group, but it's not a good reason to keep picking him.

Truth is, he could do plenty to further his abilities (most notably decision making and skill execution), but he hasn't. If I'm kicking puppies in this metaphor, you guys are mindlessly patting them on the head for repeating the same trick over and over.

Is he too simple-minded to improve these glaring weaknesses? I don't believe so, so why all the praise?

Dont kill me.....but i prefer Jones rather than KJ to come in for C.C.
He crashes packs, applies immense forward pressure.
KJ doesn't, yes he is young, but iv been bitterly disappointed with him.

KJ showed some good signs at the VFL yesterday. Really attacked the footy like I hadn't seen him before. I wrote yesterday, and I think it's still valid that perhaps the penny has finally dropped for him. I'd like to see him get another chance before the year is out.

KJ showed some good signs at the VFL yesterday. Really attacked the footy like I hadn't seen him before. I wrote yesterday, and I think it's still valid that perhaps the penny has finally dropped for him. I'd like to see him get another chance before the year is out.

By the sounds of it both LJ & KJ were throwing themselves at the ball.
Liam did go really hard at the body vs Hawks in the pre-season in Tas, BB may like that and his form from yesterday looked pretty good in the highlights.

Those are great reasons to throw around encouragement and use an individual as a metaphor for the goals of the group, but it's not a good reason to keep picking him.

Truth is, he could do plenty to further his abilities (most notably decision making and skill execution), but he hasn't. If I'm kicking puppies in this metaphor, you guys are mindlessly patting them on the head for repeating the same trick over and over.

Is he too simple-minded to improve these glaring weaknesses? I don't believe so, so why all the praise?
I'm struggling to think of any poor decision making or skills errors from White in some time.

I'm struggling to think of any poor decision making or skills errors from White in some time.
That's because he's been kicking it backwards and sideways more than ever, and he's often quite slow to do so, at which point the opposition have happily conceded the kick.

I'm OK with him being not the fleetest of foot, I'm OK with him not being an elite kick, but I'm not OK with him completing killing the tempo of our ball movement.

That's because he's been kicking it backwards and sideways more than ever, and he's often quite slow to do so, at which point the opposition have happily conceded the kick.
I'll try to keep an eye on him more for the rest of the year then. I'm not seeing any critical flaws in what he does but am not focussed on him either.

Shan when a poster clearly dislikes a player they will always claim things that probably don't exist. I wouldn't be wasting your time looking for things, White has been super this year and thoroughly deserves his place in the team. Not much more to say really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early forecast is for a dry day and a temp of about 13 degrees.
At least we should see a good game of footy......hopefully.

I hope so. Too many teams decide to play the whole "Put everyone around the ball" against us here and it makes a butt ugly spectacle. Hopefully Bolts won't do that though.

Your midfield was excellent on the weekend and they'll have to play like that again to put scoreboard pressure on. I think we'll set up about 40 out from our defensive goals for centre bounces on the assumption you'll probably get more centre clearances and use our half back line to generate all the drive forward.

Loving the look of you guys this year, you should all be proud of how the club has turned around on field

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I remember one of our players from earlier in the year saying that we'd like to be playing our best footy towards the end of the year, which seems like something does really well (peak for finals). It's just felt like we've been building nicely for the last couple of weeks and looking forward to coming home strong towards the end of the year. Hopefully this is something we can really do well over the next couple of years after we've put together a stronger base at the start of the season.

I'll try to keep an eye on him more for the rest of the year then. I'm not seeing any critical flaws in what he does but am not focussed on him either.
That's because there have been few critical flaws in the way he has gone about his football this season. I reckon he would be Top 10, or just outside, in our B&F. There is nothing flash about him, but he is doing his job more often than not & I'm not sure who else on our list can play as many different roles as what he does.

OUT: C Curnow (Inj), Kerridge (inj?)
IN: Jones, Tutt :drunk:

Casboult getting a little bit of criticism for his performance on Saturday and to be honest I didn't think he was that bad.
When you consider our less than average foot skills going forward and the fact that we were playing in a wind tunnel which also contributed to the said below average foot skills he kept presenting and giving an option.
Tutt for Kerridge if he is injured. Has plenty of speed which could trouble the dorks if he can actually get his hands on it plus we need more outside run at the moment.

You are aware the week prior Sydney played and deserved to beat a Hawks team that gave them everything. We matched Sydney off a 6 day break away with them having a 9 day break.

Hawks are great but we're playing great footy at the moment. We won't get too high after a win but won't get too low after a loss. Losing by 6 to Sydney kick starts us to work harder. We will improve with introducing a fired up last crack jaksch or jones for curnow and it allows casboult space to go 1-1 rather than getting double and triple teamed.

I am confident of a similar performance however a close to small loss is where we will find we sit. Curnow will tag Mitchell (properly, Cornes-like) and keep him to **** all. Crippa will monster them in clearances and contested footy. Hawks are one of the worst in the league at both.

They are good at perceived pressure and great team defence allowing turn overs to help them score and a little bit of luck and magic/x-factor.

If we take care of the ball and play our game were every chance.
I really hope you're right. It stands to reason that we're due a win, just as they are due a loss, but as I said in my post, they're a game clear in first, and their footy hasn't lit the world on fire yet, when we know that, should they be on, they really can. Either their form reverts, and they smash us - regardless of how well we play - or they continue their indifferent form, and we get our opportunity.

Clarkson is a vindictive angry little campaigner. He might say nice things about Bolts to the media but he will want to display the superiority of his team, club and, by extension, himself over Bolton and his choice of club.

I think our efforts against the Swans and Eagles were good but I also think both those teams were a little off. That won't happen this week.

Anyone thinking he won't have this group revved up to absolutely smash us is dreaming.

Really, we shouldn't want it any other way and it will be good to see how we respond.
I agree, but wonder if BB has any useful inside knowledge of Hawthorn that might work to offset this somewhat ...

Sorry for intruding on your board.
Always had a soft spot for the Blues (since late 70's)
I really enjoy the way you guys are going about it this year, upbeat and having a crack. Bigger things to come.
Enjoying what Bolts is doing at the club.
Hope we win but hope you guys go hard too.
I always look forward to Carlton v Hawks reminds me of 70s n 80s.
Bring it

I hope so. Too many teams decide to play the whole "Put everyone around the ball" against us here and it makes a butt ugly spectacle. Hopefully Bolts won't do that though.

Your midfield was excellent on the weekend and they'll have to play like that again to put scoreboard pressure on. I think we'll set up about 40 out from our defensive goals for centre bounces on the assumption you'll probably get more centre clearances and use our half back line to generate all the drive forward.

Loving the look of you guys this year, you should all be proud of how the club has turned around on field

Hey guys, we are super close to getting over 50K members this year, a couple more would really help....:)

But seriously, I always like to see constructive feedback/comments from opposition supporters on our board, so cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back