Preview RD 21 Geelong V GWS - GMHBA, Fri 6 August @ 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing the presser keep Freddy and Zuthrie this week and bring in Evans and rest Close

Would be my changes

I'd go those changes and also be tempted to go Holmes in place of Narkle

Yeah sometimes... Look, I was as filthy as anyone else when Stanley was dropped and we went in with no recognised ruckman for that QF in 19. We totally shot ourselves in the foot with that call I believe. And I'm the first to admit the ruck is still our biggest problem which Blicavs isn't the complete answer to. And for that reason I would have liked to see what Fort has to offer at some point. But I just feel this year that Blitz has gone past Stanley as a ruck. Maybe I'm on my own in that. But just watching games this year - he holds his own there consistently and offers more around the ground that the other options. Stanley has been doing ok lately, probably knowing that he's playing for his position, but I just feel more confident in Blicavs as a ruck and I think we get more from him as a midfielder than Stanley, and utilise his abilities better than as a full-back. Also - look at the stats this year. Blicavs has a Hitout win % of 45.4, whereas Stanley's is way down at 33.9%. Neither is setting things alight, but that is a clear difference.
Plus It seems Blicavs is often roving his own taps While our mids haggle the opposition mids out. Not sure if that’s a strategy or just coincidence..

Apparently Duncan is still 4-5 weeks away, does anyone realistically see him coming back this year, i cannot, he will have no match fitness even if he was ok to go 2nd week of finals.

Under normal circumstances they wouldn't bring him back in, but with the Medi-Sub I'd say it's no brainer.

Even at 80% he'll still offer more than a bottom 6 player.

Prelim or GF return I reckon (If we make it)

Not sure how you come to that conclusion when English dominated last time with 29 hitouts and Blicavs was our best ruck. Blicavs needs to play back against the dogs if we meet them due to their tall forward line.
I didnt say we would have an advantage- only that we could. On the flip side i dont think you could say with any certainty that WB will definitely have an advantage over our ruck offerings in any case.

Please tell me this is said in jest.

It is most definitely not. The theory that Scott's ego is better served by not winning a flag while he operates with a hand tied behind his back (rather than him doing everything in his power to clinch the title and frank his legacy) is undoubtedly the most inane theory going around on this board. But it certainly has its 'serious' proponents around the place.

It is most definitely not. The theory that Scott's ego is better served by not winning a flag while he operates with a hand tied behind his back (rather than him doing everything in his power to clinch the title and frank his legacy) is undoubtedly the most inane theory going around on this board. But it certainly has its 'serious' proponents around the place.
Just as a matter of public interest - a warning at large - do you think you could list these people?

Just as a matter of public interest - a warning at large - do you think you could list these people?

I think most of those who should be concerned about their presence have already engaged the 'ignore' function regarding the usual suspects. So it's probably unnecessary to provide an inventory here.

And as for me when it comes to the 'ignore' function, I prefer to live dangerously. After all, the comic relief provided by posters with whom I wildly disagree can be both timely and cathartic.

I think most of those who should be concerned about their presence have probably already engaged the 'ignore' function regarding the usual suspects. So it's probably unnecessary to provide an inventory here.

And as for me when it comes to the 'ignore' function, I prefer to live dangerously. After all, the comic relief can be both timely and cathartic.
I never use the Ignore function, I don't see why I should let the *heads get away with their drivel unanswered.

The same goes for the ones who have me on ignore; if (when) they drivel, I say so, for the sake of common sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have their Rd 2 pick - so we want to beat them
We want top 2 spot - so we want to beat them.
We need to play better than last week - so we want to beat them.
Its on our dung heap - so we want to beat them.

Perhaps JC will be back - so we want to beat them
MOC back perhaps as well. Dunno.

Not sure Freddy will hold with HGando back - if he is of course - but if not - he'd get another go.
Maybe Zuthrie too gets another week if Atkins is still sore.

But I cant see too many changes.

On the milestone front, Rhys Stanley plays game 100 for Geelong and Cam Guthrie makes it game 200.... come along way from that debut V St Kilda in Rd 1 2011. Congrats to him on both getting to 200 and lifting his game and making it thru with the heart condition that finally got fixed.

Sucks the VFL team gets another bye - but it is what it is.

Till then - we wait.

Go Catters

MAYBE Zuthrie gets another week?? I think he
made it impossible to be dropped.
If he gets dropped, he should be on the phone to his manager and start
talking to other clubs immediately.

MAYBE Zuthrie gets another week?? I think he
made it impossible to be dropped.
If he gets dropped, he should be on the phone to his manager and start
talking to other clubs immediately.
I think he played himself into another contract on the weekend.

It’s definately going to happen.

But wasn’t just two years ago we made this ruck blunder. We have been doing it in finals since 2013 when we dropped west to ruck vardy and Blicavs instead.

scott will keep doing it in vain hope that one day it will work and he can call it a master stroke.

scotts goal isn’t to win the flag. He did that in 2011. His goal is to win the flag using extreme coaching strategy so he gets all the kudos this time unlike in 2011.

Not sure if that last paragraph is serious…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s definately going to happen.

But wasn’t just two years ago we made this ruck blunder. We have been doing it in finals since 2013 when we dropped west to ruck vardy and Blicavs instead.

scott will keep doing it in vain hope that one day it will work and he can call it a master stroke.

scotts goal isn’t to win the flag. He did that in 2011. His goal is to win the flag using extreme coaching strategy so he gets all the kudos this time unlike in 2011.
Are you of the opinion that the earth is flat by any chance?

As flat as GWS will be on the weekend after their thumping?

Close really looks like he needs a week of - should be an easy change with Evans to come in

I liked Narkle the sub we saw against Richmond, but was disappointed in the efforts we saw from him against North - I'd omit him, and while he's likely to be an emergency I wouldn't play him as sub such was he level of disappointment in him on Saturday

I'd like to give Holmes another run as he's last match against Carlton was pretty solid
What exactly about Close’s game made it look like he needed a week off?
His best stats, and possibly his best game for the year.

There would never have been any excuses, anyway. But you are right that we will be facing a seriously depleted Giants outfit. Can only hope our boys respect the game and the opposition enough to just bring our best, irrespective of who GWS is putting out there on Friday night.

I'm interested in this sentiment from Geelong fans. Just how many top liners do we need to have out to suggest that we are way undermanned. Seems like people want to suggest GWS have been smashed with injury and we are fine. Cameron, Duncan, Henderson, Atkins, Oconnor ect ect ect. Seriously how many top players do we need to have out before we are fielding a seriously weakened team. We always pump up the efforts of our opposition on this board and never give us the same outs. Just not sure why

As others have said - Close needs a rest

Zac Guthrie rightly so with 8 coaches votes is a lock in defence this week

Thus i would drop Close - and i would bring in Atkins - who has had a very good year - got a bit of leg speed - and a nice kick - passes the ball well - i would play him as a forward ( where he has played before ) - just a straight swap for Close - and i think he will do very well
Drop Close!! 20 poss, 3 clearances, 5 inside 50’s, 4 tackles. Best figures
and probably best game for the season.
The player that needs to be dropped is Dahlhaus.

Just saw the Giants' list of outs this week, wowzers.

Hopper, Davis, Green and Reid out of last week's team.

Coniglio, Finlayson, Hill, Kennedy already mssing.

I've gone from 'this should be a comfortable 20 point win' to 'this should be a percentage booster.'
You do realise most of the guys on the bottom list have been dropped. As in not good enough even with injuries to be in the best team.

I’m not the only one who thinks that. It has been said in the media as well.
Really

Please quote those in the media who've said it - I'd like to see where it's been mentioned anywhere other than your post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back