Preview RD 21 Geelong V GWS - GMHBA, Fri 6 August @ 7:50pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not the only one who thinks that. It has been said in the media as well.

Show me anywhere this has been said in the media ever. You truly are full of s**t!!! But Im happy to be proven wrong so just provide a clear example of the media saying exactly what you said and I'll take it all back. If you can't it is probably the final nail in your total lack of credibility about anything Geelong and Chris Scott ever.

Like I said though the ball is in your court so maybe you can save some credibility by providing evidence????

Looks like we've unveiled a 6'5" speedster in Nath Kreuger, the Club referring to our young defenders claimed he hit the game high closing speed of 32.3kph in one of his runs.
I didn't see it, but he must have had at least one opportunity to use the jets.
And from now on l don't giggle at the name Zac Guthrie. Don't know if there's space for either of these two this week but good luck to them if there is.
Scarlo has a couple of rippers to work with.
You don’t know if there’s space for Zuthrie? 8 coaches votes!
If he got dropped this week he should start looking for another
club.

What exactly about Close’s game made it look like he needed a week off?
His best stats, and possibly his best game for the year.

Watching him on Saturday he just looked a little off his usual pace and I wouldn't have it up there as being in his best games this season. Just didn't seem to have the same impact he was having earlier in the season

He was listed as managed ahead of the Tigers match, so clearly there's been some consideration given to him having a break from playing commitments, but that appears to have been delayed with Higgins a late out for that match and Miers then re-injuring his leg.

Being managed isn't a negative or bad thing, and we've seen it with a few of our guys this season that having a match off to freshen up has helped the player when they've returned to the fold the next match

I'd rather Close have a weeks rest at this stage, freshen up ahead of the finals and ensure he's right to go rather than unnecessarily risking him if he's not quite right

It’s definately going to happen.

But wasn’t just two years ago we made this ruck blunder. We have been doing it in finals since 2013 when we dropped west to ruck vardy and Blicavs instead.

scott will keep doing it in vain hope that one day it will work and he can call it a master stroke.

scotts goal isn’t to win the flag. He did that in 2011. His goal is to win the flag using extreme coaching strategy so he gets all the kudos this time unlike in 2011.

Utter nonsense

You do realise most of the guys on the bottom list have been dropped. As in not good enough even with injuries to be in the best team.

Huh?

Coniglio - captain, injured
Kennedy - best 22, currently injured
Finlayson - kicked 23 goals this year, not playing this week as he’s staying with his pregnant partner in QLD
Hill - in and out of team, currently injured, regardless he’s a dangerous player and I’d prefer to see him out of the team

They will have 8+ best 22 players missing this week.

Watching him on Saturday he just looked a little off his usual pace and I wouldn't have it up there as being in his best games this season. Just seemed seem to have the same impact he was having earlier in the season

He was listed as managed ahead of the Tigers match, so clearly there's been some consideration given to him having a break from playing commitments, but that appears to have been delayed with Higgins a late out for that match and Miers then re-injuring his leg.

Being managed isn't a negative or bad thing, and we've seen it with a few of our guys this season that having a match off to freshen up has helped the player when they've returned to the fold the next match

I'd rather Close have a weeks rest at this stage, freshen up ahead of the finals and ensure he's right to go rather than unnecessarily risking him if he's not quite right
We must have been watching different games.
He may get rested that can depend on several things, but how could
a player returning his best stats for the year with practically no
mistakes look like he is off the pace? That doesn’t make sense.
I don’t really know why I came back on here today, I usually dont
read or comment on big footy anymore, it’s just too frustrating.
Reading people’s comments when 95% of them (from all clubs)
wouldn’t know if they sat on a football and it disappeared up
their backside. Aarrhhgg!! Sorry, make that 98%.

I am basing him getting a rest by the fact they wanted to rest him a few weeks ago and couldn't so maybe they could this week

I'm interested in this sentiment from Geelong fans. Just how many top liners do we need to have out to suggest that we are way undermanned. Seems like people want to suggest GWS have been smashed with injury and we are fine. Cameron, Duncan, Henderson, Atkins, Oconnor ect ect ect. Seriously how many top players do we need to have out before we are fielding a seriously weakened team. We always pump up the efforts of our opposition on this board and never give us the same outs. Just not sure why

No need to give us any more credit in my view. We've won 11 from our last 12, with some of the players you mention missing extended time during that period. I think we have significantly better depth than GWS, which means we can more easily cover omissions of the nature that they will suffer this week.

As I understand it, they're looking at players of the calibre of Hopper, Davis, Green and Mummy all coming out of last week's team (while we're looking at going in unchanged). If we looked at a somewhat similar list coming out of our 22 last week, I figure we might be missing Guthrie, Henry, Parfitt and Stanley. To suggest that wouldn't make us demonstrably weaker is just not reasonable for mine.

The simple point I was making is simply that winning games 'on paper' has never worked in the history of sport. And just because we're less depleted than they are (despite the quality players we will still have missing) doesn't entitle us to an easy win or an automatic four points. Having said that, I don't see how it's possible to suggest that our 'best 22' is anything like as compromised as theirs will be for this week's game.

Show me anywhere this has been said in the media ever. You truly are full of sh*t!!! But Im happy to be proven wrong so just provide a clear example of the media saying exactly what you said and I'll take it all back. If you can't it is probably the final nail in your total lack of credibility about anything Geelong and Chris Scott ever.

Like I said though the ball is in your court so maybe you can save some credibility by providing evidence????

You know the answer to this, he'll do what he and others like him do around here, not reply in this thread until his idiotic post and opinion has been forgotten.

We must have been watching a different match - he may have had his highest disposal count for the year, but that doesn't equate to him returning his best stats for the season

The last 2 weeks he's returned disposal efficiencies of 64.3% & 65%, his lowest since his 3rd game of the season and in his 11 games prior to the Tigers match he hadn't been below 75% disposal efficiency - hence saying that to me he looked a little off the pace, and at times he looked a little tired. His disposal efficiency has often been up there between 80% & 90%, even going at 100% against Freo, so to just a week later drop to 64.3%, it's a fair drop

Close is one who normally looks so clean and sharp, but he hasn't looked as sharp the last couple of matches

Having a weeks rest isn't going to hurt and would surely help him freshen up. It's not a knock on the guy - trust me when I say I want him in the team, but only if he's right to go and the last couple of weeks he's just looked a little off the pace

I think its more about forward structure..our coaches seem to rate sav over stanley so if they think we cant carry 3 talls + rohan up forward then sav will return to the ruck and bump stanley out..much as i disagree with it as i think sav is a worse ruckman than he is a forward.

The alternative option is we keep them all in and drop a small (dahl etc) but i think thats less likely.

Im not as sure that he will not drop a small. The Melb game may be the test. They rely on their tall backs so much that Sav as the bunderbuss is probably of higher importance against them. Cameron being mobile is critical.

Media heads say a lot that shouldn't be taken seriously
Media heads don’t disparage a coachs intentions unless it’s actually really obvious as they All run in the same social circles And they would be discredited if it didn’t have some really valid reasoning behind it.

In the case it very much does.

and this has been discussed numerous times over the years. Then we all forget it has and act like it’s controversial. It’s not. It’s a common opinion.

Utter nonsense
Those who continually ignore history are doomed to be surprised by it.

we literally had the same arguments back in 2019 when I said Blicavs would definately be our ruck in finals. This is when everyone was talking about him being all Australian full back.

i was told it was nonsense to suggest Scott would use him as our ruck Midway through the season. He would never ruck again. He started rucking within the next month and come first final Stanley was dropped after being pretty good the week before.

if there is no room for sav in the foward line I guarantee regardless of form sav is starting ruck and Stanley is not playing. Guarantee this is what happens unless sav is injured Or there is a spot for him in the foward line.

Those who continually ignore history are doomed to be surprised by it.

we literally had the same arguments back in 2019 when I said Blicavs would definately be our ruck in finals. This is when everyone was talking about him being all Australian full back.

i was told it was nonsense to suggest Scott would use him as our ruck Midway through the season. He would never ruck again. He started rucking within the next month and come first final Stanley was dropped after being pretty good the week before.

if there is no room for sav in the foward line I guarantee regardless of form sav is starting ruck and Stanley is not playing. Guarantee this is what happens unless sav is injured Or there is a spot for him in the foward line.

I'm worried you're going to be right.

Media heads don’t disparage a coachs intentions unless it’s actually really obvious as they All run in the same social circles And they would be discredited if it didn’t have some really valid reasoning behind it.

In the case it very much does.

and this has been discussed numerous times over the years. Then we all forget it has and act like it’s controversial. It’s not. It’s a common opinion.
If it's such common opinion then you'd have no issues with being able to quote such comments or sharing the sources so that the rest of us are able to read them

There's something to be said for the way he attacks the contest and causes spillages to involve others, but he can't ruck and we have Tommy, Cameron, Rohan and a couple of smalls up forward already.

Stanley in the ruck - the good Stanley - is a bigger need imo. He can give us a contest in the middle and float forward.

A tall has to go, and for me it should be Sav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back