Preview Rd 21 - Richmond v North Melbourne - MCG Saturday 7 August 4.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

To be honest, that's our worry too. Jack's struggling against anyone above Auskick U8s level at the moment.

I'm reasonably confident in Ben McKay's ability to handle Lynch as long as the mids do a decent job.

Your small fowards will be where goals come from, we don't have enough quality small defenders.

The past vs the future.

Could be the wake up moment for Dimma that he needs to start looking at youth more

If we play Noah Cumberland I'll watch the game. Loves a goal - some of our senior blokes don't seem as keen!

Sides that play their GF against us: Collingwood, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Carlton and these irrelevant pr*cks.

North consider us some kind of rival. They’d probably be bottom two in regards to clubs that I give a sh*t about. It’s strange their hard on for us, especially when we barely acknowledge their existence. They have the same one way hatred for Essendon as well. Small club syndrome I guess.

We could lose and my mood won’t change. I think getting a mosquito bite would agitate me more. The only thing that interests me about this game is that I get to watch Sydney Stack play again.

Anyway, Richmond by 24 points in The Poo Dot Cup.

Come on, losing to a bunch of irrelevant povos would irritate you. It must. 🤣

Our forward line observations on game day are backed up by statistics by the looks of it.

Since Round 13, we are apparently ranked 18th in scores per inside 50 and 16th in goals per inside 50 percentage. What is concerning is that this is the case despite playing a lot of ordinary teams and only two top 8 teams (Brisbane game was funnily alright for us offensively).

It’s interesting to see what solutions others come up with for this week to tackle this issue. I think that there are two things that have to go:

1. No more kicking to no specific target inside 50.
2. No more high kicks inside 50. I don’t think that suits our forward line.

No more stopping the play with ball in hand at the cusp of the 50 only to let every opposition defender get into position.

The third one annoys me a lot. Like why? Who in the world is coaching our players to do that? It ruins any momentum that we have and is responsible of ruining perhaps 70%+ of our forward ball movement every game. This is one of the main reasons why we don’t find a decent target inside 50 because it enables opposition defenders to get back into defence and double-team Lynch + Riewoldt. The funny thing is that we end up bombing the ball anyway.

The better opposition we face do not do this. The two Geelong games this year are good examples of this. When they moved the ball forward, they didn’t wait for our defenders to get back. They moved the ball fast and make sure that our defence was either caught out of position or did not have enough time to read the play. We can definitely do that so why don’t we?

Just baffles me sometimes tbh.

I'm reasonably confident in Ben McKay's ability to handle Lynch as long as the mids do a decent job.

Your small fowards will be where goals come from, we don't have enough quality small defenders.
Well you don't have to worry, if you watched any of our games you will know George and Aartsy haven't exactly been setting the world on fire this year. Just ask any of the regulars on our forum.

Last edited:
Our forward line observations on game day are backed up by statistics by the looks of it.

Since Round 13, we are apparently ranked 18th in scores per inside 50 and 16th in goals per inside 50 percentage. What is concerning is that this is the case despite playing a lot of ordinary teams and only two top 8 teams (Brisbane game was funnily alright for us offensively).

It’s interesting to see what solutions others come up with for this week to tackle this issue. I think that there are two things that have to go:

No more stopping the play with ball in hand at the cusp of the 50 only to let every opposition defender get into position.

The third one annoys me a lot. Like why? Who in the world is coaching our players to do that? It ruins any momentum that we have and is responsible of ruining perhaps 70%+ of our forward ball movement every game. This is one of the main reasons why we don’t find a decent target inside 50 because it enables opposition defenders to get back into defence and double-team Lynch + Riewoldt. The funny thing is that we end up bombing the ball anyway.

The better opposition we face do not do this. The two Geelong games this year are good examples of this. When they moved the ball forward, they didn’t wait for our defenders to get back. They moved the ball fast and make sure that our defence was either caught out of position or did not have enough time to read the play. We can definitely do that so why don’t we?

Our small forwards have been absolutely non existent this year so we might as well Just play the 3 tall forwards in the last 3 rounds to give them a decent crack at it. So Lynch, Reiwoldt and CCJ for mine. Who cares if they are a bit on the slow side because they only have to clunk a few marks the way we constantly bomb it inside 50. Just got to make sure we get it in there as quickly as possible and deep. No more holding onto the ball as you say and no short chipping to allow the oppo defence to set-up. Could put teams under pressure and might just work !!?

Last edited:

Another issue is that our forward line simply lacks talent and is poor structurally , with guys like Cumberland HRS and even rioli playing well in the 2s time to
bring in some other options..Especially mid sized leading types...
When it comes to selection criteria i think there needs to be more emphasis on offensive capability ahead of pressure/defensive...
I also wonder if Dan Rioli should ultimately go back forward at some stage , not as a defensive forward he has played for most of his career but a more natural
goal kicking small forward...

Our small forwards have been absolutely non existent this year so we might as well Just play the 3 tall forwards in the last 3 rounds to give them a decent crack at it. So Lynch, Reiwoldt and CCJ for mine. Who cares if they are a bit on the slow side because they only have to clunk a few marks the way we constantly bomb it inside 50. Just got to make sure we get it in there as quickly as possible and deep. No more holding onto the ball as you and no short chipping to allow the oppo defence to set-up. Could put teams under pressure and might just work !!?
Well said, when our small forwards apply pressure and lock the ball in our fwd 50 we are a 4-5 goal better team. I can't recall any games where faarts and costanza have done that. Unfortunately that part of our game has been missing and lacking

The way our forward fifty entries are going we will not be capable of kicking a winning score against anyone. We are currently untippable on form.

And, agree with whoever said they are annoyed when we stop and wait for the whole oppo defensive structure to get back and set up before going into F50. The bloke on the mark can't move and we stand there and wait till the ump calls play on and bomb it high, over the man on the mark, to a crowded forward line. It's moronic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another issue is that our forward line simply lacks talent and is poor structurally , with guys like Cumberland HRS and even rioli playing well in the 2s time to
bring in some other options..Especially mid sized leading types...
When it comes to selection criteria i think there needs to be more emphasis on offensive capability ahead of pressure/defensive...
I also wonder if Dan Rioli should ultimately go back forward at some stage , not as a defensive forward he has played for most of his career but a more natural
goal kicking small forward...
Good call. George and Aartsy are doing nothing as defensive small forwards. I kind of feel Dimma is hanging onto this because it has brought us immense success over a long period of time. I think Dimma has to finally accept we need to evolve to get ahead of the competition again. Your right, we need attacking running small forwards so why not try Cumberland and Hugo. And try 3 tall forwards too (Lynch, Reiwoldt, CCJ). We have nothing to lose and if it works it could be something we work on during the preseason for 2022. The rule changes I feel are designed to reward an attacking style over defence to put more speed on the game. We have the cattle, now it's up to Dimma and his assistants to implement change.

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Noah Balta Syndesmosis 3-4 weeks
Nathan Broad Syndesmosis TBC
Bachar Houli Syndesmosis 1-2 weeks
Dustin Martin Kidney Season
Kamdyn McIntosh Hamstring Test
Ivan Soldo Knee Indefinite
Nick Vlastuin Knee/Quad Test
Updated: Tuesday, August 3
Early prognosis
After being an outside chance of returning last week, Broad is now listed as "TBC" by the club. Vlastuin is a strong chance of playing against North Melbourne after several weeks of resting various ailments, while it'll be touch and go for McIntosh. Young key back Ben Miller (groin) is no longer on the injury list, but did not play VFL last week. – Sarah Black

What are these “small forwards” you speak of?
Is that a new term in football or something?

At Richmond we’ve got guarders of space and shankers in the forward half

The yawnnnnn post of the thread so far.
When you try to pretend it doesn’t matter but it really hurts deep inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When YOU try to pretend it does matter......we really laugh deep inside.

Think the club will declare it's intentions at selection this Thursday. Bring the hardened bodies back and keep smashing in or out the cue back in the rack and start thinking about next year:

Screenshot_20210803-213857.png

Look, we can still make Finals, but we need to pull our proverbial fingers out and for some things to go our way (god, it sounds like 1990-2010 all over again).

LOL...plenty of posts lately around here.

"FFS [insert coach], play the kids!!!" ;)

"[insert player] will never play in a premiership..." ;)

"Honourable loss, couldn't quite finish off the last quarter..." ;)

Great preview, Wal. :thumbsu:

Norf will miss Cunnington, but much like the Dockers, they have the makings of a very good clearance side, even at our best of the last few years we only tend to get grinding wins over those types of sides, they'll be a real test for us.

Looms as the type of nightmare game where a permed 3-games a season downhill skiing fop like Stephenson will have 4-5 goals at quarter time.

Simpkin in good form, more than likely to play the kind of hard running, accumulating game that hurts us like Brayshaw did last week.

I'll look forward to seeing how Thomas goes against us, there's few young players in the comp I'd rather have on our list. Watching him time a Goldy knockout at full pace and bursting out of the middle like he has been in the last couple of months is a sight we don't see enough in the AFL these days. Be interesting who takes the points if the old teammate Lonny boys (he and Mansell) line up on each other when he rests up forward.

Have you watched any of our games this season? The last thing you could possibly associate with our small forwards is goals.

If you don't have any quality small defenders then you've come to the right place this week.

Last edited:
Do we lose playing our useless untouchables and broken older brigade. Or lose getting the next crop of young players some valuable experience? That's the hand we've got to play for the remainder of the year. I know which I'd prefer.
Me too. Unfortunately I think we all know which way we will go and the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back