Preview Rd 9 2017 Preview: Sydney v St Kilda @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk where this idea that Jones has been best in the middle has come from. He's played like the large majority of every game around the defensive 50 arc, winning his possessions in the back half then driving us out of defense. Going up into the centre bounces a few times does not make you a midfielder, nor does it mean he's done best in the midfield. That Brisbane game as well as the PF last year he was at his best on the half back. Do we need him in that role? Well until we sack Horse and find a coach with actual brains who will play a gun in Aliir Aliir, yes, we do need Jones down back.

Im really not sure. Some players just have the football smarts to know exactly where the ball will be, and can always seem to get their hands on it.

Fitness would also be a factor
I always feel like Rohan believes the only way he will keep his spot is if he constantly uses his pace as if its his only asset. This often results in him being rushed, ball chasing, moving too fast to get possies and playing without composure. Could be anything (been saying this for 5 years)

Idk where this idea that Jones has been best in the middle has come from. He's played like the large majority of every game around the defensive 50 arc, winning his possessions in the back half then driving us out of defense. Going up into the centre bounces a few times does not make you a midfielder, nor does it mean he's done best in the midfield. That Brisbane game as well as the PF last year he was at his best on the half back. Do we need him in that role? Well until we sack Horse and find a coach with actual brains who will play a gun in Aliir Aliir, yes, we do need Jones down back.

That is playing as a midfielder. As opposed to a deep defender who runs off which was more his role last year. He's a midfielder/wing who plays behind the ball. He's part of the midfield mix.

More "sack Horse" s**t. Do you think he's keeping Aliir in the NEAFL to spite you? Or because he's racist or something? I'm here to tell you that Horse isn't dumb. Indeed, he's quite possibly got a better football brain than you and I combined. Now I don't know why Aliir is still in the NEAFL but here's a couple of possible reasons......

1. Aliir isn't doing as he's told to do.
2. Aliir might not quite have the fitness base to be preferred in the seniors due to an interrupted pre-season.
3. Melican has been given specific roles to play and has played them to the letter which means he can't be dropped to make space for Aliir.

At the end of the day, our list until very recently has been largely made up of low draft picks, upgraded rookies, and other clubs' discards. Yet we've been more consistently successful than any other club over the last decade. That's coaching. And you want him sacked.

Please tell me you're in the video.

No but my best mate growing up is. Video is literally two years before I re-joined the bloods. Played two years as a junior for them for only 1 win most games we had either 13 or 15 players. Third year I went back we could only get 8 so they folded and I left to play at Mayne. Soon as juniors was over went back to the bloods to play in the team in the video (Playing at Mayne in the video as they lost their club) Played for a year and then the club folded completely due to not having a home ground.

Longmire doesn't want a creative rebounding defender stuffing up his static slow ultra defensive back line that has already been run over the top of in at least three games this year. He played the slowest player in the competition on a half back flank last week who lasted ten minutes. Gives you an idea of Longmire's philosophy and game plan regarding rebound off the half back line. Aliir is a real problem because he is mobile, reads the game coming at him and is horror of horrors prepared to leave his man to attack the ball. He commits the unforgivable sin of backing his judgement. Its OK to have Rampe doing this flashy risky stuff but two defenders? Nah a bridge too far. This taking on the game and backing his judgement trait must simply be disciplined out of Aliir's game. Its a joke isn't it?
Yes we cant have 2 Leo Barry type players,one on each flank,recklessly running the ball out of defence Sometimes it works,sometimes not. Its called taking the game on! Currently the only one in our team who plays with this mindset, is Zac Jones!!!

Yes we cant have 2 Leo Barry type players,one on each flank,recklessly running the ball out of defence Sometimes it works,sometimes not. Its called taking the game on! Currently the only one in our team who plays with this mindset, is Zac Jones!!!

Yep. Him and AA.

One way or the other, AA has to play if we have any chance of making it into September. I would play him as the 3rd tall, focusing on intercept marking and rebounding.

A Porsche version of Laidler ....

One way or the other, AA has to play if we have any chance of making it into September. I would play him as the 3rd tall, focusing on intercept marking and rebounding.

A Porsche version of Laidler ....
I don't think Laidler will play again.
That family car segment is represented by lots of models now

To certain players and certain posters yes I do. I am an extremely negative person it's something I try not to be but my nature is so. I agree with a lot that you post in supporting our club and players and sometimes you are even a loan voice that is unwavering in your support. I feel at times to reinforce your point it's negative. Like I said I am a horrible negative person it's usually all doom and gloom and I tried to think of a positive of Rohan coming back in and seeing that as adding some pace along with Hayward but you were there to remind of the Carlton game.

Really though it's not play the man on here and this post is purely playing the man. I'm sorry I shouldn't be doing that on here and will try not to anymore. I respect your opinion (though not showing that in this post) and I really respect your unwavering support, well no more so I admire it.

My apologies for just being a knob in retort.

Keep backing the boys Tedeski.

No problem at all my friend. You are more then entitled to pull me or anyone up up anytime you think we are off the mark. Sometimes when we post it can seem like an attack but I certainly didn't mean it that way to you BB, nor do you stand out as a particularly negative poster so forget about it mate. All is good!

On Rohan, he is the one player on our list that I trust the least. Two GF flops and all, have left me frustrated when I know what he can do.
Prior to his fall in the Carlton game, he had 1 disposal. I'm not sold on Gaz in big games when the chips are down. Not unlike Jetta, when we are flying in games he tends to tag along & do the odd wonderful thing but that does nothing for me if the next two games are dull!

Now feel free to give me a serve BB because I might be a bit harsh on Gaz.:thumbsu:

Also, given that he's not a big possession winner, at least if he plays forward and only has 10 touches there's a fair chance that a third of them could be goals or goal assists.
Gaz also does a hell of a lot off the ball. Even just standing the mark he's jumping around and all over his opponent.

Sometimes I think we look too much at possessions and other stats. I think occasionally it wouldn't hurt to watch a game and then judge the boys based on what you see and feel without any outside influence (stats or otherwise). Ranking them this way first often surprises me when I then have a look on here or take a gander at the stats.

I did this a few weeks ago and was surprised that Lloyd got such a high rating after I thought what was a "down" game for him. Likewise Sinclair last week, thought he was great but his stats said he was just ok. Stats help explain but sometimes not in perspective IMO.

Anyway.... Off topic now... Sorry.

No problem at all my friend. You are more then entitled to pull me or anyone up up anytime you think we are off the mark. Sometimes when we post it can seem like an attack but I certainly didn't mean it that way to you BB, nor do you stand out as a particularly negative poster so forget about it mate. All is good!

On Rohan, he is the one player on our list that I trust the least. Two GF flops and all, have left me frustrated when I know what he can do.
Prior to his fall in the Carlton game, he had 1 disposal. I'm not sold on Gaz in big games when the chips are down. Not unlike Jetta, when we are flying in games he tends to tag along & do the odd wonderful thing but that does nothing for me if the next two games are dull!

Now feel free to give me a serve BB because I might be a bit harsh on Gaz.:thumbsu:

Not at all that's just the reality with Gaz. I really like him as he is fearless and can create a team lifting turnover but I can't deny those very quiet games are too often.

I think you have identified the problem.
He does a hell of a lot off the ball and not much with it ....
Hahaha. Touche.

I like Gaz and I like what he brings to the side. Structurally but also from an energy point of view.

I agree though, he's gone missing when we needed him. So has Tippo. Macca. Parker. Jetta. Reid. He is far from alone in that regard.

None-the-less, he gives us an x-factor and pressure not many others have been able to emulate as yet IMO. That's valuable if used correctly. We just need to see how he goes the next few weeks on the comeback trail and hope he can make a positive impact. He could be pretty important if we can manage to get to finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive seen nothing from AA tonight that convinces me he should be playing Saturday. He's been off. Agitated. Poor at times defensively.

Agreed, he's not best 22 right now IMO

This nonsense about Aliir Aliir not getting a game needs to stop.

He had no preseason to speak of, was bought in early only due to injury, was statistically the worst defender in the AFL in one on one marking contests and turnovers for the games he played, went back to the reserves and played utter shite the first week to then improve marginally the week after and to top it all off he then went and missed training after getting back into the side.

He is so far outside of our best 22 at present due to physical fitness and attitude it's not even worth debating.

Surprised they dropped Bruce i could of seen him trouble us especially on the lead.

He does lead more than our other forwards but for some reason the players seem to ignore him and kick to packs so eventually he stops leading which is a shame because he's not a pack marker. This new system they have been playing is at odds with what they were doing the last two years where they were looking for leading players. This explains why both Bruce and Membrey s goal numbers are down . At the moment Membrey is third on the contested marks ladder but a lot of those are taken too far away from goal. I don't like this new game plan but we are averaging more goals with it which is strange.

Sent via HAL

This nonsense about Aliir Aliir not getting a game needs to stop.

He had no preseason to speak of, was bought in early only due to injury, was statistically the worst defender in the AFL in one on one marking contests and turnovers for the games he played, went back to the reserves and played utter shite the first week to then improve marginally the week after and to top it all off he then went and missed training after getting back into the side.

He is so far outside of our best 22 at present due to physical fitness and attitude it's not even worth debating.

I haven't seen many Swans games this year, well not as many as usual. But to me he seems a little bit over eager or something, just not as settled as other Swans players all seem to be . I could be wrong but that's how I felt watching on tv .

Sent via HAL

I haven't seen many Swans games this year, well not as many as usual. But to me he seems a little bit over eager or something, just not as settled as other Swans players all seem to be . I could be wrong but that's how I felt watching on tv .

Sent via HAL
Yeah that's how I see it. Just wants to play on every time & isn't seemingly giving his direct opponent (& in effect his teammates) the right level of respect IMO. Be it deliberatly or not.

Too loose & too unaccountable.

He'll be awesome though. Love him & what he does bring. Just needs to find some fitness & tighten up a bit I reckon & he'll be a lock for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back