Preview Rd 9 2017 Preview: Sydney v St Kilda @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with this. Rohan has great instincts as a forward with ball in hand but could be so damaging as a permanent HBF. They seemed to start developing him in that position but he's had no consistency with injury. He has all the skills. Quick, good mark, good kick and great defensive pressure. Just hasn't pulled it all together at once. It's been a real tease because I think his best could be outstanding.

Those games where he just goes missing I can't seem to account for considering the skills he has.
Rohan needs to stop chasing 1%ers (he always gets hurt) and play smarter. We don't need him to be a crash test dummy.

Rohan needs to stop chasing 1%ers (he always gets hurt) and play smarter. We don't need him to be a crash test dummy.

Also needs to demand the ball more. Maybe it was just me but I noticed how absolutely stone quiet he was the last few games. Maybe it isn't his nature I don't know, but speak up, demand the ball. You are a good kick, we need the ball in your hands!

Don't like Rohan down back. He played that one great prelim there but other than that has been quite average.

He just doesn't get enough ball to be good as a back flanker. IMO he's played his best football as a forward. He's a good mark, has elite pressure which a forward needs, and is a pretty reliable kick for goal.

Don't like Rohan down back. He played that one great prelim there but other than that has been quite average.

He just doesn't get enough ball to be good as a back flanker. IMO he's played his best football as a forward. He's a good mark, has elite pressure which a forward needs, and is a pretty reliable kick for goal.

My counter argument is that is he really a good forward? What's his best output as a forward? 2 or 3 goals (only guessing but wouldn't be much more)? If his top ceiling is 3 goals, I question whether that is his right position. Rohan off a HBF may not work but I feel it is worth a calculated gamble to see whether it could work.

My counter argument is that is he really a good forward? What's his best output as a forward? 2 or 3 goals (only guessing but wouldn't be much more)? If his top ceiling is 3 goals, I question whether that is his right position. Rohan off a HBF may not work but I feel it is worth a calculated gamble to see whether it could work.
His career highest was 4 goals and last season he averaged 1.5 goals a game - that's a decent return from a 3rd "tall" forward. A full H&A Season would result in 35+ goals, not to mention his pressure down forward.

I'm all for playing him down back but I think he offers something strong in the forward as well

There is no gamble. Rohan is who he is. A very average hbf who cant get more than 15 touches.

He is a solid forward. Great pressure and can usually add a couple goals (kicked 4 against the hawks last year iirc). Also 10-15 touches as a forward mean more than 10-15 touches as a back

His career highest was 4 goals and last season he averaged 1.5 goals a game - that's a decent return from a 3rd "tall" forward. A full H&A Season would result in 35+ goals, not to mention his pressure down forward.

I'm all for playing him down back but I think he offers something strong in the forward as well

Maybe it's just me but I just think he could be electric off the HBF or wing for that matter. I just don't like him played forward, him playing the Harry Houdini act for half a game. We need to get him involved. He'd be in the top few kicks in the club, we can't have him getting the ball 6-10 times, that isn't enough.

There is no gamble. Rohan is who he is. A very average hbf who cant get more than 15 touches.

He is a solid forward. Great pressure and can usually add a couple goals (kicked 4 against the hawks last year iirc). Also 10-15 touches as a forward mean more than 10-15 touches as a back

That would be great but he's rarely near the 15 touches as a forward, he's less that 10 a lot of the time. I just wish Horse would try something. we can't have one of our best assets getting the ball less than 10 times. Either that or push him up to the wing, to involve him, we need to use his kicking skills. I said the same thing about Lloyd when he moved back, didn't think it would work, but we took a calculated risk and it has paid off.

That would be great but he's rarely near the 15 touches as a forward, he's less that 10 a lot of the time. I just wish Horse would try something. we can't have one of our best assets getting the ball less than 10 times. Either that or push him up to the wing, to involve him, we need to use his kicking skills. I said the same thing about Lloyd when he moved back, didn't think it would work, but we took a calculated risk and it has paid off.

Ok then. less than 10 touches as forward mean more than less than ten touches as a back. Rohan has shown an inability to find the footy wherever he is on the field.

Jake lloyd is also an elite endurance runner (which you need to be as a half back), something which you could never accuse Gary of.

Ok then. less than 10 touches as forward mean more than less than ten touches as a back. Rohan has shown an inability to find the footy wherever he is on the field.

Jake lloyd is also an elite endurance runner (which you need to be as a half back), something which you could never accuse Gary of.

Fair point I just feel it's worth a go. Happy to agree to disagree. I like having some linebreaking speed ideally out of defence.

Perhaps Rohan needs to get more touches on HBF, so that he doesn't do silly things (like Carlton game) trying to play himsef into the game?

Last edited:
With Rohan it's about timing his run. If he goes too early he leaves us short defensively. If he can hold back, he remains a number in defence and blocks a road through. He doesn't need to necessarily accumulate Lloyd type numbers because he's not the same sort of player. Lloyd retains possession, but Rohan breaks lines. Hopefully when he does we have the speed and positioning up forward to take advantage of that. That will make the "fast and direct" advocates very happy. But that's also a relatively simple play to cover if St Kilda have the right sweeper down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, agreed. Robo gets the job done without the plaudits of a flashy Aliir or Superstar Heeney. Obviously from the Smitty school of invisible role players.
Him and Lloyd are in the same boat. Just play their role, give you 20+ touches at 90% efficiency and do everything asked of them and then people think they're expendable and should be dropped because they don't do the flashy stuff. It's exactly those sorts of players you want permanently shoring up your bottom six.

For a minute there I thought you were joking.

So you actually do think I am a negative poster on here?

I've seen everything now!

To certain players and certain posters yes I do. I am an extremely negative person it's something I try not to be but my nature is so. I agree with a lot that you post in supporting our club and players and sometimes you are even a loan voice that is unwavering in your support. I feel at times to reinforce your point it's negative. Like I said I am a horrible negative person it's usually all doom and gloom and I tried to think of a positive of Rohan coming back in and seeing that as adding some pace along with Hayward but you were there to remind of the Carlton game.

Really though it's not play the man on here and this post is purely playing the man. I'm sorry I shouldn't be doing that on here and will try not to anymore. I respect your opinion (though not showing that in this post) and I really respect your unwavering support, well no more so I admire it.

My apologies for just being a knob in retort.

Keep backing the boys Tedeski.

But why? Why doesn't he get a lot of the ball? I don't get it. He has all the pace to get to the drop or to run off his man and offer an option. He doesn't seem lazy because he works his arse off pressuring the opposition and I see lots of second and third efforts but he just doesn't accumulate. Why?

Also, given that he's not a big possession winner, at least if he plays forward and only has 10 touches there's a fair chance that a third of them could be goals or goal assists.

I know Rampe will be short of match fitness but we desperately need him in to help shore up the defense and add that rebound effectiveness out of the back 50. It's our achilles heel right now. I'm glad Newman and Melican stay. They are our next generation of defenders and hope Horse keeps on getting games into them.

If Good Gary shows up then I'm happy with the Rohan inclusion. He honestly has the skills and speed to be an absolute gun but his inexplicable disappearing acts still baffle me. We need pace though and he brings it along with good defensive pressure. Back yourself in Gary!

We'll also have to wait and see which Kurt Tippett shows up. If he's match fit then he needs to play and hopefully play plenty of time forward. In a perfect world Buddy, Reid and Tippett with Hayward and Papley crumbing should be a match winning forward line. If only we knew what to do with them.
rampe wont have fitness issues.i remember seeing him in new york a year or 2 ago and it was 3 days before pre season..went on to finish top 2 i think in time trial

rampe wont have fitness issues.i remember seeing him in new york a year or 2 ago and it was 3 days before pre season..went on to finish top 2 i think in time trial
Horse mentioned that he's been doing some pretty grueling running to keep fit so I'm not saying that he's going to blow a gasket but you can't simulate match play completely.

The problem with Rohan is 1 his decision making and 2 his reading of the play.

In the forward line he has the luxury if he takes a mark inside 50 the decision in taking a shot is made for him. Likewise if he picks it up in space with no one in front of him he can run confidently to goal with no real danger of being run down.

When hes in the backline and under pressure or even on the run he finds it difficult to hit a target or choose the right option.

Just my observations

But why? Why doesn't he get a lot of the ball? I don't get it. He has all the pace to get to the drop or to run off his man and offer an option. He doesn't seem lazy because he works his arse off pressuring the opposition and I see lots of second and third efforts but he just doesn't accumulate. Why?

Im really not sure. Some players just have the football smarts to know exactly where the ball will be, and can always seem to get their hands on it.

Fitness would also be a factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back