Preview Rd 9 2017 Preview: Sydney v St Kilda @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's no star but he is a Jake Lloyd type. Hasn't done much wrong in the few games he plays but doesn't star by any means.

Certainly better than Foote.
Yeah, agreed. Robo gets the job done without the plaudits of a flashy Aliir or Superstar Heeney. Obviously from the Smitty school of invisible role players.

Last edited:
Yeah but Newman came in late for Florent last week which is partly why McVeigh went forward(aside from injury)
McVeigh was initially played on the half back flank. When he was completely out paced by Turner he went straight to the bench where he was "diagnosed" with "hamstring tightness". After a quick rub down he was put on the forward line. After that fiasco Newman went on to the backline and dominated the game. This was all a brilliant coaching master stroke by Longmire.

I know Rampe will be short of match fitness but we desperately need him in to help shore up the defense and add that rebound effectiveness out of the back 50. It's our achilles heel right now. I'm glad Newman and Melican stay. They are our next generation of defenders and hope Horse keeps on getting games into them.

If Good Gary shows up then I'm happy with the Rohan inclusion. He honestly has the skills and speed to be an absolute gun but his inexplicable disappearing acts still baffle me. We need pace though and he brings it along with good defensive pressure. Back yourself in Gary!

We'll also have to wait and see which Kurt Tippett shows up. If he's match fit then he needs to play and hopefully play plenty of time forward. In a perfect world Buddy, Reid and Tippett with Hayward and Papley crumbing should be a match winning forward line. If only we knew what to do with them.

I originally thought Rohan would be a replacement for Hayward in the team but the thought of them running down each forward flank with Reid & Buddy plus Papley in support should give opposition defence nightmares. It's a hard forward line to match up on right now, plus our midfield is looking solid again.

Hayward is still playing pretty good football and he has been one of the real highlights of the 2017 season. He will undoubtably need a rest soon but I am very happy he is still in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hayward is still playing pretty good football and he has been one of the real highlights of the 2017 season. He will undoubtably need a rest soon but I am very happy he is still in the team.

It made little sense to give him a rest 1 week before the bye. Obviously you closely monitor young players but we don't need to necessarily give him rests unless he needs it.

I originally thought Rohan would be a replacement for Hayward in the team but the thought of them running down each forward flank with Reid & Buddy plus Papley in support should give opposition defence nightmares. It's a hard forward line to match up on right now, plus our midfield is looking solid again.
Just hope Zac plays more middle than down back.

With the shift in Cunningham down back along with the rise of Newman I don't think Jones will be in defense again this season

Hopefully Rohan is off the HBF too

With the shift in Cunningham down back along with the rise of Newman I don't think Jones will be in defense again this season
I'm not sure that's true but it would be nice if he could play more minutes in the middle. It's no secret we've been lacking pace outside the clearances and he's a rocket. I suspect he'll still be used to run and carry out of the back 50 a fair bit this year when needed though.

I'm interested to see if Rohan and Rampe coming back in and Cunningham being a little more confident breaking the line makes us look a pacier side. Our ball movement looked really good the past two weeks but the opposition wasn't pressuring heavily. St Kilda will be a good test.

I'm not sure that's true but it would be nice if he could play more minutes in the middle. It's no secret we've been lacking pace outside the clearances and he's a rocket. I suspect he'll still be used to run and carry out of the back 50 a fair bit this year when needed though.

I'm interested to see if Rohan and Rampe coming back in and Cunningham being a little more confident breaking the line makes us look a pacier side. Our ball movement looked really good the past two weeks but the opposition wasn't pressuring heavily. St Kilda will be a good test.

This week, and the upcoming Dogs game will be the tests. I expect to beat Hawthorn. This week is a big week for the whole side. Last week was a good sign though.

I always thought he played his best footy off half back flank but Horse hasn't pushed him down there for a couple of years. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he gets pushed down back

Yeah true, I guess it's just me being hopeful. I just feel we have to find a way which almost forces Rohan to be involved. Off a HBF he will be getting the ball a lot. We know he will use it well. I just feel down forward we are hamstringing him only having him get the ball 6-10 times. Why not have him get it 20-22 times off a HBF? I would think it's worth a gamble at least.

Yeah true, I guess it's just me being hopeful. I just feel we have to find a way which almost forces Rohan to be involved. Off a HBF he will be getting the ball a lot. We know he will use it well. I just feel down forward we are hamstringing him only having him get the ball 6-10 times. Why not have him get it 20-22 times off a HBF? I would think it's worth a gamble at least.
Agree with this. Rohan has great instincts as a forward with ball in hand but could be so damaging as a permanent HBF. They seemed to start developing him in that position but he's had no consistency with injury. He has all the skills. Quick, good mark, good kick and great defensive pressure. Just hasn't pulled it all together at once. It's been a real tease because I think his best could be outstanding.

Those games where he just goes missing I can't seem to account for considering the skills he has.

Agree with this. Rohan has great instincts as a forward with ball in hand but could be so damaging as a permanent HBF. They seemed to start developing him in that position but he's had no consistency with injury. He has all the skills. Quick, good mark, good kick and great defensive pressure. Just hasn't pulled it all together at once. It's been a real tease because I think his best could be outstanding.

Those games where he just goes missing I can't seem to account for considering the skills he has.

That's my thinking as well and at least off a HBF it removes the going missing part. You are always getting the ball 15-20 times a games. Literally every HBF does nowadays. By putting Rohan there it makes him involved every quarter. It frustrates me to no end why we are pigeon holing Rohan as a forward. Why are we accepting having a forward getting the ball maybe twice a quarter? I feel rohan could literally be anything if we find the right role for him. Yes that is a big IF but surely we have the opportunity this year where there is less pressure (our start this season has meant this) on results to find Rohan's role!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back