Draft Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Decent point. Cripps is number 1 in the AFL for CP's and number 3 for clearances.

In a side that ranks 16th and 18th across the AFL for both stats respectively.

Thats elite. Made more so by the lack of support he gets.

No doubt, Blokes a genuine gun. But reckon the gap at the start of the year between Cripps and Bont to Merrett has closed.

And metres gained, tackles, score involvements, inside and rebound 50's.

Basically anything that isn't handballing a ball out of a stoppage.

Pretty sure I said he's a more rounded player man. My point was he has no stand out qualities. Aside from uncontested possessions. He's ranked 3rd in total UPs and 8th in UP's per game.

Cripps is 1st in Clearances and 5th in CPs per game.

Depends which you rate more. I rate the latter.

Pretty sure I said he's a more rounded player man. My point was he has no stand out qualities. Aside from uncontested possessions. He's ranked 3rd in total UPs and 8th in UP's per game.

Cripps is 1st in Clearances and 5th in CPs per game.

Depends which you rate more. I rate the latter.
So work rate is now not an elite quality? People talk about how well he finds the ball, but it is the pressure he applies when he doesn't have it that is invaluable and keeps us in matches.

So work rate is now not an elite quality? People talk about how well he finds the ball, but it is the pressure he applies when he doesn't have it that is invaluable and keeps us in matches.

No arguments here mate. He's 10th in the AFL for tackles per game with 6.96. Cripps is no slouch either though at 30th with 5.86.

He's a more rounded player than Cripps, but I rate Cripps higher. As a neutral looking at that draft, I'd take Cripps over him (assuming Bont had been snaffled up at 1). If both Bont and Cripps were taken, I'd take Merrett next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying you would be wrong, but you certainly can't say that you would do it as a neutral, because you aren't.

As neutral as I can be. I rate Bont higher. Bont has no elite stats unlike Cripps, is a more rounded player like Merrett, but he's a matchwinner.

If I was Carlton list manager, my draft list is:

1) Bont
2) Cripps
3) Merrett

Ideally, I'd like to have all three.

what about tackles?

He had 10 to Cripps 6. Ive covered that already.

Tackles can be a little misleading. Woosh once said that leading in tackles isnt necessarily a good thing as its also indicative that you dont have the ball, and are instead chasing it.

For example, in that game Essendon had 87 tackles to Richmonds 63, but still lost the game by 3 goals.

Tackles can be a little misleading. Woosh once said that leading in tackles isnt necessarily a good thing as its also indicative that you dont have the ball, and are instead chasing it.

For example, in that game Essendon had 87 tackles to Richmonds 63, but still lost the game by 3 goals.

Clearances can also be misleading, because it is still counted even if it's a hack forward that goes straight to the opposition.

And your example is poor, our tackling is what kept us in the contest, it was the poor kicking that was the biggest negative.

Good for you, I rate a bloke who works harder without the ball higher.

Cripps had 29 disposals, (13 contested), 12 clearances, 3 I50's, 2 rebound 50's, 7 score involvements, 6 tackles, 3 marks, 3 hit outs and kicked 1.2.

Not sure how we're criticising his work rate here.

Ill take 6 extra clearances over 4 extra tackles any day of the week.

Patrick Cripps today had 28 disposals. 13 contested, 11 clearances.

29 disposals, 16 contested possessions, 12 clearances.

14 D, 8 CP, 8 clearances in that last quarter. Just comes home like a freight train. Impossible to tag out of a game for 4 quarters.

As neutral as I can be.

Which is still not at all.

Again, not saying you are wrong, but you can't use the term neutral in any sort of argument.

Possibly true in some cases, but when looked at on an individual level, Merrett is getting great tackle stats and getting the ball a hell of a lot. If this were a discussion about the teams as a whole it might hold some weight, but not when talking about individuals getting lot of tackles and lots of touches.

Poor example

Merret is high up in tackles and possessions. If you wanted a ball watching midfielder, perhaps a Levi Greenwood (=5th) or Levi Greenwood (=5th) would have been better example.

Essendon supporters are believing that the evenness in Merrett's game should see him ranked higher than Cripps. Statistically speaking, he stacks up well against Bont as well. As we all know, stats don't tell the whole story. Bont is a clear step ahead.

Clearances can also be misleading, because it is still counted even if it's a hack forward that goes straight to the opposition.

If thats what Cripps did we could talk. He almost invariably handballs it out pf packs, and has some of the best hands I've seen.

Merretts a much better kick though. But I conceed Merrett is a more rounded player. Its just that Cripps has elite attributes. He's number 1 for clearances in the AFL in a side that sits at number 18 in the AFL for the same. Thats an elite stat in an important area. The kid is a clearance machine.

If you took Cripps out of our side, and placed Merrett in it, we'd be in much worse shape than we are at present.

Im not dissing Merrett here. Im just saying I rate Cripps the more valuable player. Merrett and Cripps have better raw stats than Bont, but I'd take Bont over both due to his value as a matchwinner.

You can build a side around Cripps or Bont. Cant say the same thing about Merrett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back