Who won this trade?

• Richmond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geelong

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 20 for the next Billy Hartung

Brutal, how about giving the kid a fair chance?

We got wind melbourne were picking him at 21 and we didnt want to let him go. I assume we tried to get the pick for a future 2nd but richmond said no.

I really rate holmes as a player i just think we paid more than what that pick should have cost us but time will tell. Wells does have a great record so ill back him.
Swings and roundabouts.

Sharp last year.
Holmes this year.

What i find really strange was that the Cats fought tooth and nail to keep the 2021 1st rounder preferring to give up better #13 & #15
then do this ? GWS wanted their 2021 pick but cats baulked. Then do this

Not that Im complaining

Yep happy enough with the logic of trading our late first from this year for an early second next year as part of the Cameron trade. Unexposed draft this year with kids carried over to next year because of the reduction in list sizes which in theory makes for a stronger draft next year. Sound reasoning.

But then to get to the draft and trade in a late first this year for a yet to be determined first next year goes completely against that logic. At best if we win the flag it will be a similiar pick next year. If we have a GWS kind of GF hangover it is going to be an absolute disaster. With an old team, return to longer quarters and a short pre season, which is even shorter for us as a GF team v the non finalists, then the ingredients are there for a drop.

I absolutely hate this trade.

I don't like to criticise Wells because he does an excellent job but unless I am missing something this trade is dumb.

We could have traded 13,15 and 2021R1 to GWS for Cameron and got more back from them as that was the pick they wanted.

Then picked this kid at 18 (or whatever pick it turned out to be) for the same net gain.

And not given Richmond a 2021R1.

Am I missing something or did we go full Ned Guy?
Love the full Ned Guy. What an insult haha. Never go full Ned Guy! You dont get an oscar that way!

Yep happy enough with the logic of trading our late first from this year for an early second next year as part of the Cameron trade. Unexposed draft this year with kids carried over to next year because of the reduction in list sizes which in theory makes for a stronger draft next year. Sound reasoning.

But then to get to the draft and trade in a late first this year for a yet to be determined first next year goes completely against that logic. At best if we win the flag it will be a similiar pick next year. If we have a GWS kind of GF hangover it is going to be an absolute disaster. With an old team, return to longer quarters and a short pre season, which is even shorter for us as a GF team v the non finalists, then the ingredients are there for a drop.

I absolutely hate this trade.

I think clearly at the time we felt we could get a good player like holmes in the second round then when he rocketed up the boards late we felt we needed to not miss him. Im not a fan of what we paid but i think it says more about how we rate holmes than how we rate the pick itself.

Like you weren't going to anyway.

No more than any other team....;)

Actually, for what little it matters, Geelong, and their fans, have gained a lot of respect from me with how they've handled the GF loss, so if it wasn't for the pick, I probably would have wished better for you guys than most.

Now...Is it too much to ask for you to get the spoon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Reply to getting older lol

Maybe delist a younger player to make room ;)
We'll have to talk to the Hawks about trading Jordan Clark for Burgoyne

It's simply a great trade for us. We can't lose, the worst case scenario is roughly the same pick. Then there is a small chance Geelong have a down year and it's a big pick upgrade.

The only way it looks good for geelong is if Holmes becomes a gun. Carlton did something similar to get Stocker, jury still out on him.

It's simply a great trade for us. We can't lose, the worst case scenario is roughly the same pick. Then there is a small chance Geelong have a down year and it's a big pick upgrade.

The only way it looks good for geelong is if Holmes becomes a gun. Carlton did something similar to get Stocker, jury still out on him.
2021 Draft will be a super draft and there will be 20 players that will be pushing for top 10 in this years draft
All the 17 year olds didnt play this year as well as the kids that usually are bolters in their 18th year players like Bont , Oliver , MaCrae , Dusty and many more didnt really be noticed as top 10 until their last year.

Hoping for cats to have a bad year in 2021

2021 Draft will be a super draft and there will be 20 players that will be pushing for top 10 in this years draft
All the 17 year olds didnt play this year as well as the kids that usually are bolters in their 18th year players like Bont , Oliver , MaCrae , Dusty and many more didnt really be noticed as top 10 until their last year.

Hoping for cats to have a bad year in 2021

Every year on BigFooty, next year's draft is a SUPADRAFT! Next year's draft has been a SUPADRAFT! for about 15 years now

Apart from Dacios ... who are the Father Sons next year that may be R1? Anyone want to project ..which FA's might get R1 comp? No NGA's ....

so its probable that it could be 20 for 20 ..its also probable that it could be 20 for 15. Geelong are backing themselves to be top 4 again..if they do do that then its an expensive pick trade. Having said that ..like any move or selection in the draft..it will all have to wait to see how Holmes develops , who geelong could have picked etc.

By numbers Richmond obviously did very well out of this. If this year and next year are standard draft years there are probably 10 players fro this year's draft class that would've jumped from nowhere up to the top 30-40. Maybe a few of them were taken (maybe Holmes was one) but there's still likely at least 5 very good draftees that would've been taken this year but will be taken next year instead so next years draft should be strong. So even if Geelong wins the flag there should be a better group of players at ~20 next year than at ~20 this year. So in that sense it's a win for Richmond.

In saying that I'm really excited that we did the trade. If you don't have top 15 picks the only way to get access to absolutely elite talent is to take somebody that for some reason has slipped. Previously we've done that with undeveloped types (Mitch Brown, Menzel, Thurlow, Smedts), guys with injury clouds (Cockatoo, Lang) or mature-agers (Taylor, Kelly). We've done well with the mature agers but a mix of bad recruiting and a bad luck with injuries mean we've failed with the kids. But a kid who had a minor injury (broken arm) and then didn't play because of concentrating on athletics and then covid has less questions marks than guys with questionable body types. If Wells is right he might've got the Bontempelli or Macrae who would've gone well inside the top 10 if he'd been able to play this year. If Wells is wrong we've wasted a good but not exceptional pick in a better draft. If Wells is wrong and the club is wrong about our ability to finish top 4 next year then we might've wasted a very good pick in a better draft. So it's high risk but potentially very high reward.

I am very happy with this from the tigers perspective.

However I don't think it's a terrible trade for geelong. They have an excellent team and brought in a superstar.
I think he was appropriate for the pick but u wouldn't have done the trade. We'll see

Back