Universal Love RIP Russell Ebert. The greatest man!

Remove this Banner Ad

My great great uncle used to live right next door to the Savings Bank of SA branch at Royal Park. Russell used to work there in his early playing days. My great great uncle used to bank there of course. They struck up a friendship although he was in his 80’s and Russell was young. During his lunch breaks Russell would go next door, mow his lawns, cook meals, do his shopping etc etc. Every medal he won, even when he’d stopped working next door, he would call in and show my great great uncle.

A beautiful man. A great man, a great human - Vale 🥲

RIP.

Needs to be the next legend in the AFL HOF. There's no argument about it.

Well before my time, and most who post On this site, too, but from what I've gleaned from reading about his career and from the words of those who watched him, he was an absolute superstar from an era when the SANFL was a very viable alternative to the VFL. May even be that league's best ever.

My condolences to all of you feeling this loss so heavily. There was only one Russell Ebert.

I share your sorrow at his passing. He was my first childhood sporting hero who I idolised and fortunately had the chance to meet in the rooms. I still recall my Year 2 teacher saying after I did a prepared speech that I must have got help from my parents as no kid could know all that information about a footballer…

Later in life to then see him confront his health challenges with no ego, no artifice, full of humility and still thinking only of club and community was to see a person in its purest essence and one couldn’t help but draw inspiration and and admiration from him.

His legacy is assured and goes well beyond medals and premierships. He instilled in Port Adelaide a sense of honour and duty that will hopefully transcend future generations.

RIP Russell Ebert

The premier has offered a state funeral or state memorial service to the family. I suspect they will reject the state funeral, but hope they agree to a state memorial service where many can participate.

Last edited:
As a Victorian footy nut i knew all about the incredible footballer Russ Ebert was. But i hadn't heard much about him outside football like you South Aussies have.

Everyone gets spoken of well when they die, even those who don't really deserve it. But you can sense the overall truth in what is being said about Russell. It is telling that almost to a person, it is mentioned what a truly good guy he was and THEN what a champion leather chaser he was.

Sounds like Russell was one of the real good ones.

Yep, you have nailed it that's why it is extremely hard for people to take it in, he has been dealt such an unfair hand.
To Port Adelaide people he is GOD.

We failed him in our 150th and we failed him even worse this year. It angers me greatly.

The last time he saw us play we got ******* rolled like a pack of losers. Hurts even more now.
We failed him in our 150th and we failed him even worse this year. It angers me greatly.

The last time he saw us play we got ******* rolled like a pack of losers. Hurts even more now.
You ignorant ill mannered dumb arse wipe.

As a Victorian footy nut i knew all about the incredible footballer Russ Ebert was.
“As a footy nut,” you mean. “A Victorian footy nut” wouldn’t know much. 😛

Seriously now, thanks for your post, mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vale Russell.

This hurts :( As a deaf Port supporter, I have been lucky enough to meet and interview Russ to discuss his footy career and other things with an Auslan interpreter for my show. Our interview was really interesting, and something I will never forget. Russell was so generous, kind, and fun in the short time he spent with us, I will always appreciate this.

Thank you Russ.

Condolences to the Ebert and the Port Adelaide family.

To me he was the enemy you just couldn't bring yourself to dislike. Never saw him play live but as a family of Sturt supporters I was brought up being taught... "That Ebert, he might play for Ports, but he was a brilliant footballer and a brilliant bloke". Met him a couple of times and I can vouch for that, he had an aura about him like all the very best PEOPLE do, not footballers.

The measure of the man was that even towards the very end he was still traveling to the cancer clinics not for treatment, but to show his face and give others in there a big lift.

RIP Legend.

Cheers guys.

Just here to pay my utmost respect, admiration and deepest sorrow for the greatest player your state and footy club ever played.

Assuming Carlton don't, would love to the see the PAFC dedicate season 2022 to the memory of Russell Ebert and his irreplaceable legacy and win the flag for him and his family.

Very very few players and gents transcend bitter club and state rivalries and was universally loved and admired by everyone, and Russell Ebert was one of them.

Just wish I had the opportunity and luck to have seen the great man player.

images

All my positive and healing thoughts to Russell's family, friends, teammates and the entire PAFC community in general.

A giant and legend of the game. He will always be loved and remembered as being Port Adelaide through and through.

Will miss seeing the great man walking around Alberton during SANFL games. A person as special as him is simply irreplaceable.

Thank you Russell for being one of the key figures that helped make this club great.

DLgAKAwD.jpg

I wasn't alive for his one season at North but by all reports he was fantastic (in addition to his obviously stellar Port Magpies career) and my Dad talked about a day where he racked up near on 40 touches.

Vale Russell Ebert.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not really sure how to take this. I guess I can only say what I've alway's said, the most talented footballer I've seen from the SANFL and I wish he'd come when we wanted him because he would have been an AFL great, he was anyway really, but I know that that mean's little to Port Adelaide people. I never got the chance to meet him even though I was alway's hoping to. I hope he is alway's remembered for how good he was. You'll alway's be a memory in my heart Russell. R.I.P great man. Cancer, it's a real campaigner.

Vale Russell.

This hurts :( As a deaf Port supporter, I have been lucky enough to meet and interview Russ to discuss his footy career and other things with an Auslan interpreter for my show. Our interview was really interesting, and something I will never forget. Russell was so generous, kind, and fun in the short time he spent with us, I will always appreciate this.

Thank you Russ.
Can people who don’t speak auslan watch the interview? Do you have a link?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back