Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - 7:25PM Thursday 22nd March @ MCG - Team - post #1352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF: Kane Lambert, Jack Riewoldt, Jason Castagna
F: Jacob Townsend, Josh Caddy, Dan Butler

FB: Jacob Weitering, Liam Jones, Lachie Plowman
HB: Ciaran Byrne, Caleb Marchbank, Kade Simpson

These match-ups worry me.

They don't worry me at all - Jones has the ability to hold Riewoldt, Byrne, Plowman and Simpson are good enough to cover a small forward and offer good rebound from defence and Marchbank and Weitering got a heap of the footy in the JLT series and will dominate in the air against that line up. We just need to ensure there is pressure on the ball carrier coming in which is the same no matter who the match ups are.

Then we will be too tall we need to keep in the ball in our forward line as much as possible.

I say we play Charlie on the wing and let him roam into the forward 50 with Levi playing as a negative forward on Rance.

Or Charlie playing the negative forward role on Rance and Levi the link up between the back line and the forwards.

They have 2 or 3 stars Rance, Martin and Presta that means the rest of their team works very hard that's the way they romped the finals last year.

Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Marchbank, Kreuzer, McKay, Casboult, Charlie, Cripps, JSOS and Matt Kennedy are all 190+. Exactly half the game day team.

The game plan must involve the ball never hitting the deck and Richmond not having any players that can run.

Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Marchbank, Kreuzer, McKay, Casboult, Charlie, Cripps, JSOS and Matt Kennedy are all 190+. Exactly half the game day team.

The game plan must involve the ball never hitting the deck and Richmond not having any players that can run.

If exactly half the team is 190cm plus that means exactly half the team is under 190cm, seems a good balance to me, especially when you consider the mobility of the above 190cm players - Cripps, Kennedy and possibly Curnow will all run through the middle, Plowman did a great job on the oppositions best small forward last year while Marchbank and Weitering were both amongst the leading possession winners in JLT1 & JLT2 respectively. 190cm isn't that tall these days.

Last edited:
All about midfield battle thursday night, if Fisher Kennedy & SPS can bare the load with Cripps a win wouldn't be out of the question, i am hoping because Fisher has came on leaps and bounds.

Fishers pace, clean hands and ability to find space should really thrive around Kennedy and Cripps. I think Murphy is going to be pretty happy about having those two around as well.

If exactly half the team is 190cm plus that means exactly half the team is under 190cm, seems a good balance to me, especially when you consider the mobility of the above 190cm players - Cripps, Kennedy and possibly Curnow will all run through the middle, Plowman did a great job on the oppositions best small forward last year while Marchbank and Weitering were both amongst the leading possession winners in JLT1 & JLT2 respectively. 190cm isn't that tall these days.

You’re comfortable that when the ball hits the deck in the forward line, you’ll have Casboult, McKay, JSOS, Curnow, Wright and some part time midfielders pressuring Richmond and the ball?

Or when Richmond get the ball and gut run on the break, you’re comfortable having Cripps, Kennedy and Curnow giving chase?

Or when Richmond are on the counter and looking to go over the top of the defense, having Jones, Marchbank, Weitering and Plowman chasing small forwards?

I’m not. The team is too top heavy, especially considering the opposition. If this were basketball, we’d win in a canter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stranger things have happened, but I'll be stunned if we are able to walk away from Thursday night with a win. Richmond are obviously a far better side than us right now and deserve to be heavy favorites.

As long as we're competitive and we continue to see growth in our younger players I'll be very happy. Anything more than that is a bonus.

Stranger things have happened, but I'll be stunned if we are able to walk away from Thursday night with a win. Richmond are obviously a far better side than us right now and deserve to be heavy favorites.

As long as we're competitive and we continue to see growth in our younger players I'll be very happy. Anything more than that is a bonus.

Doesn't matter if they won the flag, We're Carlton and they're still Richmond. never rule out a win.

They don't worry me at all - Jones has the ability to hold Riewoldt, Byrne, Plowman and Simpson are good enough to cover a small forward and offer good rebound from defence and Marchbank and Weitering got a heap of the footy in the JLT series and will dominate in the air against that line up. We just need to ensure there is pressure on the ball carrier coming in which is the same no matter who the match ups are.
Richmond's disposal is woeful, they haven't got any elite kicks in their team and as a whole theor game last year was built on bombing it in (hence the comments in this week's "crystal ball" published on AFL.com that teams would transition away from possession footy to forward momentum footy ala Richmond - which I think is ridiculous FYI) it's not like Weitering or Marchbank or anyone will need to defend in the lead, so as long as our zone works Weitering and Marchy should be able to zone off the smaller player and pick up intercept marks.

As said by others. Everyone else can play on smaller players.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Richmond's disposal is woeful, they haven't got any elite kicks in their team and as a whole theor game last year was built on bombing it in (hence the comments in this week's "crystal ball" published on AFL.com that teams would transition away from possession footy to forward momentum footy ala Richmond - which I think is ridiculous FYI) it's not like Weitering or Marchbank or anyone will need to defend in the lead, so as long as our zone works Weitering and Marchy should be able to zone off the smaller player and pick up intercept marks.

As said by others. Everyone else can play on smaller players.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
That would be fine if we didnt go inside 50 so cleanly which we often do due to our speed on the outside.

Doesn't matter if they won the flag, We're Carlton and they're still Richmond. never rule out a win.

I didn't mention the flag - they're a better team than us regardless.

As I said, stranger things have happened, but I am certainly expecting to start the year with a loss.

You’re comfortable that when the ball hits the deck in the forward line, you’ll have Casboult, McKay, JSOS, Curnow, Wright and some part time midfielders pressuring Richmond and the ball?

Or when Richmond get the ball and gut run on the break, you’re comfortable having Cripps, Kennedy and Curnow giving chase?

Or when Richmond are on the counter and looking to go over the top of the defense, having Jones, Marchbank, Weitering and Plowman chasing small forwards?

I’m not. The team is too top heavy, especially considering the opposition. If this were basketball, we’d win in a canter.

So only those players will do the pressuring and chasing, not the likes of SPS, Garlett, Fisher, Byrne Simpson, Lamb, Dow, Ed Curnow, Thomas or Murphy?

So when you put those other players around the taller players (although Kennedy is listed at 188cm on footywire) then you have plenty of pressure, especially as I said when the tall blokes are pretty mobile.

To answer you question specifically;
"You’re comfortable that when the ball hits the deck in the forward line, you’ll have Casboult, McKay, JSOS, Curnow, Wright and some part time midfielders pressuring Richmond and the ball?" First off players do rotate through the bench and Curnow will be rotating through the middle I doubt this exact combo will be together all that much but if you added Garlett as the 6th player and had the likes of Fisher and SPS pushing in from the midfield as the ball came in yes I would be happy.

"Or when Richmond get the ball and gut run on the break, you’re comfortable having Cripps, Kennedy and Curnow giving chase?" Again I doubt these three will all be in the middle together but if you add Fisher, SPS & Dow around them yes I am happy

"Or when Richmond are on the counter and looking to go over the top of the defense, having Jones, Marchbank, Weitering and Plowman chasing small forwards?" Plowman showed last year he can handle the small forwards really well and if we had Byrne & Simpson to help him out I am happy.

Now will Richmond be happy when Weitering and Marchbank keep marking everything that comes into their forward line? Will they be happy when we keep taking marks inside our 50? Will they be happy when Kennedy and Cripps keep winning clearances with their big bodies? We can't be too reactive, we can set the agenda as well!

That would be fine if we didnt go inside 50 so cleanly which we often do due to our speed on the outside.

You guys were exceptional on the break, but your entries were not about precision.

This year, sides will look at combating that with a balance of a +1 defensive zone, while still pressing up the ground.

Great in theory, of course

You guys were exceptional on the break, but your entries were not about precision.

This year, sides will look at combating that with a balance of a +1 defensive zone, while still pressing up the ground.

we did have our moments, but the JLT this year seems to demonstrate some tinkering, albeit against witches hats.

You are right though, we probably do rely more on the chaos ball which would be more dangerous for your talls given the ball is often on the deck or coming in ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back