Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Marlion Pickett

Votes: 90 42.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever met a sparky that hasn't been zapped once or twice on the job? sometimes s**t does happen too when you chose to play one of the most physical games in the world. I know countless people who don't have office jobs that have followed the guidelines but still managed to get hurt due to circumstance of your job. I mean, planes literally have fallen from the sky and people have died in their hundreds, & we continue to fly planes every day under mostly the same rules and regulations they had prior to the incident. We accept that - sometimes a few campaigners will die in the name of the luxury of flying. In sport, each incident receives is own reaction, reformation etc.

It's not to say i don't support all the effort and work put into protecting the head, its definitely required - but the idea that you can remove it from the game completely without it affecting the core element of the game it already was is baffling. When you continue to change the rules in a massive way just to limit damage by a smaller percentile each time, your core product gets corrupted. If Broad's tackle is a 3 week offence - then i don't know any other sport that would impose that type of punishment on legal move in a game, being performed carelessly. At worst, this tackle is careless. I see no real malice to dump and hurt a player - just a motion to submit him on a 2nd attempt after he resisted the 1st.

Yep, careless play should be punished - but 3 weeks? Anything above 2 should be reserved for deliberate acts to harm or cheat the game.

3 games is the equal to 15% of the season. Do you honestly think this tackle is worth missing 15% of the season/your game-salary?

Now that you have answered that, just realise that the below happened in the NBA and the player got suspended for ONE game, which equates to 1.22% of the season. The player who was shoved had way longer lasting injuries than the player in the Broad tackle. Morris had severe whiplash & back complications that caused him to miss 30 games & continue to have issues.

CLEARLY, the NBA missed their mark on their suspension - but even based on other incidents in the nba, they are not as prone to suspending players for 10%+ of the season unless they have been caught cheating (drugs) or really gone out of their way to commit a violent act in bad sportsmanship. I honestly don't see Broads tackle as poor sportsmanship - he has never been that type of player & watching the incident, he literally tackled him for 2-3 seconds before dumping him as a last resort. No crows player even confronted Broad after the tackle. Look at the teams reaction to the Jokic/Morris incident.

Intent should be what is judged and punished harshly. Not sure if there is any real proof that Broad had any intent with his tackle as he did it as a last resort to complete the tackle

This. Where do we start to draw the line. You can have zero intent to hurt an opponent but concuss them in a purely football related incident, yet if you hurt an opponent with the intent to do so with the footy within in the area i.e Duggan on Wehr on the weekend which causes Wehr to miss a couple of games then thats acceptable. I personally have no issues with it but intent to hurt an opponent is the same regardless of the outcome and we can't come up with a magical calculation to decide that the head is more important on the basis of one incident. I personally would rather one concussion then a broke collarbone, but in the event I had 5-10 concussions then I would probably prefer it the other way around.

Mansell would be a prick to play on, it might get inside his head, which must be getting bigger with every game. Not a fan of tagging, but he seemed to take Saad out of the game, or Saad just had a bad one.
Mansell was used in the first round against Carlton to do a job on defending their running half backman.

Jack Graham was the one who was instrumental in that in round 1. His tackling was ferocious and our forwards pressure was a big part in why the ball was coming out so poorly and being pumped back in.

This is a prime job to repeat the same performance as round 1 and step it up another notch. Our forwards defensive pressure was abysmal for a lot of the game against Crows. MRJ, Mansell, Graham, Cotchin all have an absolutely huge role to play Friday night.

Collingwood we’re +57!!! In contested footy against port Adelaide…which is an absolute belting. The fact that Port Adelaide were +34 in contested footy the week before against Brisbane shows that port Adelaide pretty much rolled over for Collingwood and that gives outside players like Noble and Daicos the license to do whatever they please.

Last edited:
VFL report is up. Ross sounds like a near certainty to get a call up. Biggie, Clarke and Banks next in line. Sonsie, Cumberland, Ralphsmith, Miller unlikely.

The Cumberland feedback wasn't great which anyone who watched the game would be able to agree with.
They did say in the Sonsie feedback that they hope to see him at AFL level soon but still working back to full fitness.

The Cumberland feedback wasn't great which anyone who watched the game would be able to agree with.
They did say in the Sonsie feedback that they hope to see him at AFL level soon but still working back to full fitness.
Sub candidate

Raplthsmith’s was quite interesting as well
Maybe looking for some more pace in the forward half of the ground

Hugo Ralphsmith (13 disposals, three marks, two rebound-50s)

"Hugo started the game at half-back and went to a wing, and I thought he had a really solid first half despite being heavily tagged. He finished the game playing as a high half-forward in a bid to expose him to a couple of different roles that we may need replaced at AFL level in the not-to-distant-future, and I thought his application was really good."

With the footy spilling free then that tackle of (Broad's) if it becomes...riding around on their back for a bit!...becomes holding too long in the tackle...free against!
This 'prior' rule is bullsheet and is creating more problems than it solves...caught with the ball...illegal disposal...PAY THE FREE KICK! maggotts!
One free kick is over looked to pay another free kick...and it goes on...

Yep - its a weird merry-go-round of inconsistencies of the ruling of this game that has gotten so warped, its lost its merit.

People forget - the rules of this game were originally written very vague, and that actually suited the free-roaming style of the game. It definitely had an issue where "snipers" were unaccountable & they did a great job fixing that up - but the game was never meant to have these rules that are so literal. A push out in a marking contest in the fwd 50 is always judged differently that a push out in a flurry of bodies in a small contested space. The "In the Back" rule, is null & void if you hold the mark or are making a valid marking attempt.... that literally makes no real sense. The back is sacred, except if your gonna take a speccy, then go f-ing nuts on the guys back.

But they were unspoken rules we accepted as being in the best interest of the game as a quality spectacle and competitive sport. People understood the reason we had this broken rule & we accepted it as we wanted to see exciting players do exciting stuff. Seeing tough & physical players do the same used to be considered just as important of virtue required in the game to make it the best product - but they have now completely abandoned it. The game as a result is less likely to ever land overseas now, thats for sure. The physical free-roaming nature of the game ALWAYS were the points which made is most interesting to internation viewers. Now its some weird, Basketball, European Handball, Gaelic Football hybrid? I wouldn't even know how to describe the game accurately do an international person anymore. " If you like watching people run uncontested with a ball for 100m rebounding from someones skill error - then have i got the game for you!!!"

Getting rid of snipers and dumb-tuff footballers was the right move, but the current crop of AFL players really don't seem to have that problem & i really don't think we need to be ruling harsher and harsher. They play pretty tame already. Things like Broad should be 1 week and get progressively worse for repeat offences of similar nature. I look at Broads suspension as a side effect of playing the game "the right way". If you put yourself in enough contested contest like Broady does, you are eventually going to do something carelessly and land a tackle like this. I don't think though its an intent thing at all & suspending him for 15% of a season over it is batshit

Last edited:
Yep - its a weird merry-go-round of inconsistencies of the ruling of this game that has gotten so warped, its lost its merit.

People forget - the rules of this game were originally written very vague, and that actually suited the free-roaming style of the game. It definitely had an issue where "snipers" were unaccountable & they did a great job fixing that up - but the game was never meant to have these rules that are so literal. A push out in a marking contest in the fwd 50 is always judged differently that a push out in a flurry of bodies in a small contested space. The "In the Back" rule, is null & void if you hold the mark or are making a valid marking attempt.... that literally makes no real sense. The back is sacred, except if your gonna take a speccy, then go f-ing nuts on the guys back.

But they were unspoken rules we accepted as being in the best interest of the game as a quality spectacle and competitive sport. People understood the reason we had this broken rule & we accepted it as we wanted to see exciting players do exciting stuff. Seeing tough & physical players do the same used to be considered just as important of virtue required in the game to make it the best product - but they have now completely abandoned it. The game as a result is less likely to ever land overseas now, thats for sure. The physical free-roaming nature of the game ALWAYS were the points which made is most interesting to internation viewers. Now its some weird, Basketball, European Handball, Gaelic Football hybrid? I wouldn't even know how to describe the game accurately do an international person anymore. " If you like watching people run uncontested with a ball for 100m rebounding from someones skill error - then have i got the game for you!!!"

Getting rid of snipers and dumb-tuff footballers was the right move, but the current crop of AFL players really don't seem to have that problem & i really don't think we need to be ruling harsher and harsher. They play pretty tame already. Things like Broad should be 1 week and get progressively worse for repeat offences of similar nature. I look at Broads suspension as a side effect of playing the game "the right way". If you put yourself in enough contested contest like Broady does, you are eventually going to do something carelessly and land a tackle like this. I don't think though its an intent thing at all & suspending him for 15% of a season over it is batshit
Yes I love the diving forward player (not) caught cold with holding the ball...not paid a free against... (oh he had no PRIOR!!!) then as the two players collapse onto the ground it's IN THE BACK!!! free paid against...pay the first free!

Not sold on Ralph-smith. Was pretty meh on the weekend. Not sure what type of player he is
He's a springboard player who breaks the lines. More suited the the big grounds. Like all young players he has some work to do on deficiencies like pure defending, but so did Rioli, Short and Houli. Broad will be out for some weeks, role the dice I reckon.

How about we get MRJ to tag Daicos?
You don’t tag half backs. Make them accountable by positioning and making your half forwards keep moving away from him. If Daicos goes to the 50 mtr then the half forward should move away to FF or elsewhere so he cannot be used as a link player.

You don’t tag half backs. Make them accountable by positioning and making your half forwards keep moving away from him. If Daicos goes to the 50 mtr then the half forward should move away to FF or elsewhere so he cannot be used as a link player.
Then we need clean entries into our fwd 50. What kills us is turnovers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Raplthsmith’s was quite interesting as well
Maybe looking for some more pace in the forward half of the ground

Hugo Ralphsmith (13 disposals, three marks, two rebound-50s)

"Hugo started the game at half-back and went to a wing, and I thought he had a really solid first half despite being heavily tagged. He finished the game playing as a high half-forward in a bid to expose him to a couple of different roles that we may need replaced at AFL level in the not-to-distant-future, and I thought his application was really good."
Very interesting!

Looks like Ross is a lock. Dow's report looks like he was good inside but missing everywhere else.

Rest Hopper and Dusty if in doubt this week & have em primed for next week,theres nothing to lose,its still March FFS and theres a long long way to go

Hoppers ready made replacement is Cotchin,Sonsie needs more time in the 2's,Clarke can be used in Dustys position 100%fwd,Mansell starts FWD
and HRS or Banks come in take Shorts role,Dow comes in as sub,Ross gets a start.

I hope Dimma clogs this game right up once we're fwd of centre
If we can manage to get it on our terms with 70-80 tackles during the match and hopefully 15 or so of them in our FWD 50 like against Carlton Rd1
i'll be over the moon.

The slower the game fwd of centre for us the more tackles JR,Mansell,MRJ,JGTI,Cotch & Ross will absolutely lay,i have full confidence
Jack Reiwoldt can churn out up to 6 tackles in FWD 50 if the game is slowed down to treacle pace

i want dimma to make this game an ugly faaarken mess from the get go,he has the ability to do so,turn this match into a real ugly grind like rd.1
save celebrity football for another week,not this week,this week we should be taking the same approach as Rd.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back