Autopsy Roast & toast vs Brisbane and changes for Sydney, round 17, Thurs July 6, MCG, 7.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine going in for routine surgery and last thing you see before going under is Meehan pull down his mask smiling
Meehan has to go. Yeah we have players who are injury prone in Prestia and Lynch but when they first came to the club we managed to get pretty much full seasons out of them. Conditioning seemed to be way ahead of what it is now. Get the old guy back.

Sack everyone and go break s**t. Umps robbed us. Fitness guy has to go. Trade Dusty and retire Prestia.
This is getting a bit tiresome CB… you do this after every loss almost like you want fight with the crazies
🥱🥱🥱

BB48067C-12D5-4501-BE1B-329B59DB8D1D.gif

Random collection of thoughts post game:
Ryan's starting to worry me, I don't reckon he's a forward at all. His overhead marking technique is terrible, just sticks his arms straight up and hopes the ball will magically stick. Only looks comfortable taking chest marks. Not good.
Miller is a back up ruckman/defender, good insurance player to have but probably shouldn't be starting 22.
Jack just threw his body into marking constests and barely attempted a mark. Was getting double/triple teamed. Problem was there was no one around him crumbing which made is efforts pointless.
Across the ground our players either lagged behind their opponent or got sucked in to a contest leaving there opponent as an unopposed easy exit from the contest. Was bottom 4 stuff.
Thought Rioli battled hard, KMac was serviceable, Ross did his characteristic good:bad balancing act. Grimes was invisible, Nank stank.
Broad, Floss, Balta and Young went their hardest.
Hopper was fumbly early but started to find his feet, tough ask first up after a lay off. Taranto was annihilated by Dunkley, can only assume he had the flu, was a mile off. Cotch the same, barely sighted.
Bolton may or may not have played, yet to confirm. Stop short of the downhill skier tag here but gee whiz he goes missing when we're struggling.

Agree with most of this. Jack suffered from Miller not being a fwds a hole. He had Payne wearing him like a glove when he out positioned him, Andrews would come flying over the top. Miller didn’t have the smarts to take Andrews away letting Jack compete 1 out.

Looked miles off it. If we had Gibcus or Tarrant i would like them to throw Balta forward to give us a bigger body up forward. No martin hurt as Jack was fighting off 2-3 blokes all night. Midfield got torn up, but for some reason they always torch us. The key is how they bounce back next week. Short out is going to hurt too has become a weapon in recent weeks with goals from outside 50

Agree with most of this. Jack suffered from Miller not being a fwds a hole. He had Payne wearing him like a glove when he out positioned him, Andrews would come flying over the top. Miller didn’t have the smarts to take Andrews away letting Jack compete 1 out.
They could leave Miller by his lonesome in space and he'd do little damage. There was one passage of play where Miller had front possie and didn't attack the footy, just meekly put both his arms in the air.

would you mind explaining what happened to the poll please?

the two mods i tagged cant be stuffed

hopefully you are different
OIP.N7F6-8XeH64JDupylz5b8QHaKd

thought id add one for ya,best i could do

So Brisbane have a pretty predictable game plan and you want to avoid a few things.

In his ******* wisdom Mini decided to have the worst forward structure in world football. There was absolute no system or any forward structure. We bombed long and it’s the number one thing you can’t do. We allowed them time to hit the short targets which is a no no. Basically the way we set up was everything Brisbane would have wanted.

Mini was pants. Absolutely pants. That was ******* horrid watching. Can’t think of a worse coaching performance.

I won’t go into individuals but some of you speak of some players like they will be stars and I wouldn’t have them playing in Keilor Reserves.

I think the word you’re looking for is ‘pantsed’.

Have you applied for the coaching job?

We didn't play well but bears played out of their skin. At one stage late in the second quarter their disposal efficiency was close to 90%.
We put no pressure on them. They didn't even play that well.

so the poll goes up

and a post from a mod saying troll voters will be infracted

then sunshine pointed one out

what happened next?

did the mod who boldly threatened infractions decide they just wanted to go to bed but there was a dilemma cos they'd just committed to policing the poll so their best way to the blanket show was to delete the whole thing including their post

best feed the trolls could have

🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing I’ve been most disappointed all year , not the W/L , our outright refusal to play young players , one debutant all year , lions had 3 teenagers we had None and got beat by 14G ,,, either club doesn’t rate any of our youngsters or they overate the experienced , either way there’s a problem Houston
Yep, that’s the disappointing part. Both Hardwick and McQualter are refusing to play debutants other than Young and I don’t know why.

Believe it or not, but we’ve used 31 players this year despite our injuries. That’s the second-lowest behind St Kilda.

There is either an issue with our drafting or an issue with our selections. It has to be one of them IMO because we select like we have 31 viable players outside of Gibcus and Tarrant. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Yep, that’s the disappointing part. Both Hardwick and McQualter are refusing to play debutants other than Young and I don’t know why.

Believe it or not, but we’ve used 31 players this year despite our injuries. That’s the second-lowest behind St Kilda.

There is either an issue with our drafting or an issue with our selections. It has to be one of them IMO because we select like we have 31 viable players outside of Gibcus and Tarrant. Doesn’t make sense to me.
i think dimmas last dance complex made him play too safe, he wanted to win so bad he became scared to lose so he didn't "risk" playing youth

now mini is trying to get the gig and similar scenario

Lynch has always been our most important player this year and last night was just another example of why.
Whats more frustrating is the absence of Gibcus.Least on games like last night we could swing him fwd.
Considering we're still in with a chance of making finals i'd bring in Bauer and play him fwd next to Jack.
And one of Banks or Brown.
IN-Dusty/Bauer/Banks
OUT:Short/Miller or Sampson/Cumbers

Do we need any young Mids right now?
Since we have now Taranto and Hopper we aren’t really going to have much more room to play another mid over the next 5 years apart from maybe 2 more and one depth option Sonsie is one and will essentially replace Cotch and Prestia has a few more years so time enough to get another draftee plus we have Ross who could easily transition back to the midfield as spots become available

Bigger concern is the forward line
No doubt that our forward line is our biggest concern. I think Cumberland will be a player, even last night he was the best of a bad lot. At least he marks the ball and moves around, not that the ball got down there much. After that besides Bolton, there is not one other that you would bank on to get past 50 games. I like the look of Coultard, and think Bradkte has got some tools to work with, a bit like Miller, but there is a long way to go. Lynch has still a few more seasons in him so that will help next year.

In regard to the midfield, like last night, when Taranto was off we were awful in the guts. Hopper is okay but we need another 2 coming through. I'm still a Sonsie fan, so there may be one, but we were so slow in there last night. I was hoping that they might throw Ross in there last night, he at least stands up with the ball and distributes it without hot potatoing it. But they seem reluctant, and he is going well on the wing. Maybe it was just one of those nights.

Put this in the Cumberland thread but thought to also put it here and added a little extra.

Anyone having a go at Cumberland needs to widen the lens of all players in that forward line.
He's played 16 games. First game back in a month. Thought he presented well taking 5 marks and kicking a goal. Had 7 disposals.

Now let's compare the others, Clarke who tried hard but didn't use it well. Dropped marks like it was a wet night. DE46%
Jack 6 disposals, 1 mark 0 scoreboard
Ryan 5 disposals, 2 marks 0 scoreboard
Miller 4 disposals, 3 marks 0 scoreboard
Pickett 9 disposals, 1 mark 0 scoreboard
Jack Graham, is having more average games than good. How he escapes scrutiny is beyond me. 11 disposals, 2 tackles, and 1 point.

Cumberland out of the 7 forwards was our best which shows how poor the others were, and Clarke was 2nd even though he turned it over but played with some spark.

From our 7 forwards listed above. 3 tackles between them all. 2 to Graham and 1 to Pickett. It's why I wanted Maurice Junior in, his frenetic pressure and closing the space quickly denies opposition players to waltz the ball out easily. We saw it last week v Saints.

Some other players:
Almost forgot Macintosh, 10 disposals on the wing is just not good enough.
Cotchin had a good game last week but was poor tonight with 14 disposals, 0 clearances, and 2 tackles.
Thanks AT for this post as it's the most valuable post on here regarding our forward setup. Before I launch into my reasons I will say I received a phone call about an hour b4 the game and was told to load up on Brisbane as about a minimum of 5 guys were infected with the GOAT bug and we looked awful in training and even light warm ups. He said we were fumbling unclean and slower looking in our preparation. Now we know that having players 5-10% off their game the team chances of winning slump dramatically.
Anyhow whether we had players ill or not I think the MC really need to have a hard look at themselves as the omission of MRJ was a huge mistake. A poster put up all the stats of Minibus' 5 game coaching career and the most important stat to me is time and entries i50 for both teams and the number of scoring shots. In four of the games we've been beaten by over 20, i50 entries and the game we broke even in it was the Saints game and we had double the scoring shots. It was clearly our most impressive win of the season.
MRJ was critical in that game working in tandem with Clarke at the feet of BM and JR. They also at centre bounces and forward stoppages run harder into the contest from their forward position than all the names you've mentioned above and create support for our MFers. Last nights team was an embarrassment to where our game plan was built from as Benjamin Miller is the second fastest player on that list above of yours . Brisbane's small defenders had the night off as Pickett, Graham, Hopper and Cumberland provided no defensive forward pressure. Our INS were a disaster as Hopper, Pickett and the out of form HRS all walked into the best 22.
We made a massive error at the trade table when we signed up Hopper, not bc it was wrong, but bc we kept JGTI as he was supposed to be an upgrade for him for me and we could've got a nice pick in return. We cannot afford to carry Hopper, Pickett, Cumberland, JGTI, Cotchin, KMac and HRS in that line up. I would only play Cotchin, Hopper and KMac or Pickett as subs. I was screaming all week we needed more pace and f50 pressure yet they went the opposite.
As your post is attempting to defend Cumberland, I'm actually in support of KDH on him. The reasons are he reminds me of that big lazy kid who matured early than normal and sat in the GS kicking 10-15 goals a game from grade 1 -year 9, but by the time everyone got their growth spurt he was then back in the pack. He didn't develop his game to use both feet, to chase and tackle with multiple efforts, no run and jump, no creative handballs and really no street smart survival skills. He has way too many deficiencies and this is why he's had two goes already. I would invest serious games into Coulthard , Green etc as they at least have most of these skills. Have to fit Brown in the mix also.
Ryan also needs a rest to gain confidence and form in VFL as his game has widdled away to no impact for 6 weeks now.

Can’t really say the cupboard is bare when we have 5 plahers under 50 games playing last night 6 if we include Ross

Throw in MRJ, Banks, Brown, Dow and Sonsie who are at the point where they could be selected for the SR side but still need some work as well but all of them apart from Dow will probably be on the list next year and will be in the mix for best 22

Plus our other draftees for this year we have plenty of youth to work with it’s just a matter of letting them develop and riding the ups and downs of having guys without much afl experience in the sr side
where’s our potential a graders? i am grateful we got rance cotchin dusty jack and dion. where are the new ones?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back