Preview Round 10 2017: Hawthorn vs Sydney, Friday 26th May 7:50pm @SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been to 5 games live this year yourself?
look he is defiantly down on fitness i agree with you but what do you do? you cant drop him, i dont think the answer wasting him away in the fwd line with slow vickery let the young boys dominate the fwd line. the club probably made a bad choice picking him as captain, he is the only one with a valid excuse to be down on output.
he could play on tippet.
Poor Rough just doesn't seem to be in touch this season overall. Saw him close to goal in the second half seeing two great kicks on separate occasions to him just bounce off his chest and back out through his hands, with one of them being transitioned back up the ground for a goal to the Pies.I agree that he should not have had the captaincy foisted upon him this year so that he could get his game in order first, and then take on captaincy mantle next year.

No, I would prefer to have Frawley, Birchall and Stratton down back, but that ain't happening anytime soon.

TOB has looked more at home down back than Sicily has to be fair.

Probably robbing Peter to pay Paul, but our forward line SHOULD cope with Rough, Vickery (yes, he needs games), Gunston, Sicily, Breust, Puopolo etc.

The back 6 so would we all.
I have to strongly disagree. Tob and sicily are the future of our fwd line they could form a dynamic duo if given games together. Moving tob over rough is crazy the kid has looked awesome up fwd commanding the ball.
The biggest mistake clarko did was throwing sicily around it totally shot he confidence. Playing vickery over either one in the 50 is ludacris. Ship him out use that $ at chb.
if u were coaching stkilda would u keep riewodlt in the 50 or develope membray bruce mccartin?

Last edited:
It is all Vickery's fault. It is really karma for giving Lewis the boot instead of the captaincy. Roughead should have been allowed to just play. The captaincy is just too much of a burden this year.

I actually always thought Lewis would take the captaincy for 2-3 years til a young gun (ie Burton) is ready to step up. I have never seen Shiels as a future captain and never thought Roughy should be captain. Roughy has too often gone missing when the heat is on and more often than not stood out against weaker opponents during our dominant years..

If your captain constantly finds a way to go missing & put himself out of the contest, what sort of example does that set for the rest of team?

I would try Blake Hardwick in the midfield, to add some toughness, speed, good ball use. Originally recruited as a forward who played some time in the middle.
I'd keep him where he is, he's inexperienced but is having an impact where he is. Let him develop some more before we try that

I'd keep Burton back as well

Stewart and Cousins are the two we could bring in that could give us rotations in the middle, that is it though, with injuries we don't have any other options

Willsmore won't help

Lovell and O'Rourke are injured

How far away is Jaeger? Just thinking the way T Mitch is dominating contested possessions it would be just amazing if O'meara could find his speed and burst away with T Mitch dishing it out to him but losing faith we will ever see it tbh

Hmmmm we pray for rain and plenty of it and hope like heck we can scrag and scrap all night and somehow keep it close towards the last qtr.

Does Burton go to Buddy or does Kurt get first crack?

Given dry conditions and our current playing group this has a 70-80 point loss minimum all over it.

Horse will talk up Tommy like he is a 5 time Brownlow medalist this week. Kennedy and Parker will be looking forward to this contest this week... I hope the likes of Hodge and Burger especially being such a small ground can pinch hit around the ball this week.

I would try Blake Hardwick in the midfield, to add some toughness, speed, good ball use. Originally recruited as a forward who played some time in the middle.

I was just coming on to post the same. I know people will say let him develop, but I think he could be a top midfielder. Tough, skilled and has some speed. Play Burton there as well. They can both develop there. Put Cousins in with them as well. Let's get the future happening now.

How far away is Jaeger? Just thinking the way T Mitch is dominating contested possessions it would be just amazing if O'meara could find his speed and burst away with T Mitch dishing it out to him but losing faith we will ever see it tbh
Don't expect to see it this year as he needs time to get back with the pace lf the game. Maybe next year.

I'd keep him where he is, he's inexperienced but is having an impact where he is. Let him develop some more before we try that

I'd keep Burton back as well

Stewart and Cousins are the two we could bring in that could give us rotations in the middle, that is it though, with injuries we don't have any other options

Willsmore won't help

Willsmore foot skills could help, but ground is small so probably don't need it

Doubt we will ever see it, but I'd be happy if he just played ok and got a game.

Willsmore won't help

Interesting that you didn't mention JOM as another mid who can come in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's been talk through the year so far that Gibson was in the side to give cover to the younger guys, to absord the rough stuff and the big hits. Is this happening?

I've seen quite a bit of him this year and he doesn't seem to be doing that?

Personally, I'm happy if he plays, because he seems a bit of a liability this year (he's been a great pick up over the years though for you guys)...but if he's dropped, will Schoenmakers come back?

Doubt we will ever see it, but I'd be happy if he just played ok and got a game.
Nah, we will. Showed it during pre-season, doesn't say much for our depth as we already know. But at the moment Jaeger has struggled with the pace of the game & fitness. He can win the ball, just can't break away with it. Give him the rest of the when he comes back & another pre-season.

There's been talk through the year so far that Gibson was in the side to give cover to the younger guys, to absord the rough stuff and the big hits. Is this happening?

Personally, I'm happy if he plays, because he seems a bit of a liability this year (he's been a great pick up over the years though for you guys)...but if he's dropped, will Schoenmakers come back?
Nope, sadly he has been a liability this year.

Hey, what's the status on Gibson, is he expected to be playing on Friday?
He's not injured as far as I know and with the state of the current injury list we don't have a lot of available depth in the backline to cover Gibson dropping out for a week or two. So I would expect him to be named.

Wow that's some pretty sly veiled trolling dibbles. Don't think I don't see right through what you're doing there mate.

Does Burton go to Buddy or does Kurt get first crack?
If Burton can keep Buddy to less than 5 goals he deserves to be awarded the Rising Star on the spot. Everything is stacked in Buddy's favour. He could be in for a day out.

Surely Gibson gets Buddy? I know he's in beyond terrible form but playing Burton or Heatherly on him is beyond just throwing them to the wolves...Buddy's par for the day will be 6 at least :/

Hanners & Parker definitely have a soft side but that's a big part of why Jones has been thrown into the middle. Heeney also throws himself at everything
Yep, Heeney is a gun. Jones good for grunt and blue collar stuff. As for Hannebery, I think the maiming of the bloke done by Breust, Hale and Roughead in the first quarter of the 2014 GF may have scarred him for life!

I reckon Tippet is more of a chance to demolish us than Buddy is. Buddy can't take a contested mark, only kicks goals when he wheels around on the run. Our issue is with conceding contested marks to the opposition in our forward 50, and there's no threat of that happening against buddy. So long as you can pressure him off the ball and make sure Bud doesn't get a run behind you, you can control him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back