Review Round 11, 2020 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought this season had an asterisk against Dr. Feel, or have you changed your mind? Asking for a friend šŸ˜œ

No. This season is 100% a * season. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just playing a game of mental gymnastics. It is a season without precedence in which absolutely nothing is consistent or usual, and will likely never happen again.

Doesn't make the winner any less entitled to celebrate, but it's not going to stand the same (for better or worse) in the history books vs. other seasons.

We are fine. My niece has just been born in SĆ£o Paulo of all places, but so far everyone has been well.

I have had an uncle and a cousin (his son) with covid, but they are all fine now.

We have reached 100k deaths, but the number of recoveries is over 2 millions. It is far from over, but it hasnā€™t been all bad.
Good to hear that you are weathering the storm alright. Just do the right things and stay healthy.

No. This season is 100% a * season. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just playing a game of mental gymnastics. It is a season without precedence in which absolutely nothing is consistent or usual, and will likely never happen again.

Well yes in the sense that it has the most equitable and fair fixture in AFL history - and probably AFL future - I completely agree.

Crows fans reduced to supporting Richmond... after their clubā€™s 2017 GF debacle and subsequent toxic response.

Says it all really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's logical they should support Richmond, they know the club song off by heart, even blindfolded.

It'll probably happen again next year.
The Coronavirus will most probably mean the same again for next year - it's not going to go away whilst morons keep pursuing short term gain which means one step forward, three steps back.

If the AFL were dinkum about an equatable fixture list, the season would be 34 games home and away.

The only other way would be to either chop out 6 sides and make it a 12 team competition with 22 home and away fixtures or, add 4 new teams and have a 12 team first division and a 10 team second division with the premiers of the second division being promoted to the first and the bottom placed side in the first division, gets relegated to division two.

What I don't want to see is the Rucci bull s**t of American type conferences. That works in a country of 330 million people but not in a country of 25 and a half million.

Doesn't make the winner any less entitled to celebrate, but it's not going to stand the same (for better or worse) in the history books vs. other seasons.

In 50 years it will just be another premiership, just like the premierships in the war years. I can't see history books actually putting an asterix next to the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also an unpopular opinion. I like Eddie as a commentator*. Plus, taking oxygen away from Derwayne is also a bonus.
*Unfortunately I see him as Eddie the Collingwood fĆ¼hrer and not Eddie the commentator.

I watched a few highlights again this morning. Still blown away at the speed and skill level of this game. This is how a grand final should be played (and won ;))

I watched a few highlights again this morning. Still blown away at the speed and skill level of this game. This is how a grand final should be played (and won ;))
I watched the replay last night and am going to watch it again later today. This is up there with one of the best home & away games Port has played.
Loved Zac's effort, and that smile he gives going back to kick his goal gets me every time. You can tell he just loves playing footy. :heart:

I watched the replay last night and am going to watch it again later today. This is up there with one of the best home & away games Port has played.
Loved Zac's effort, and that smile he gives going back to kick his goal gets me every time. You can tell he just loves playing footy. :heart:

If only we kicked those easy ones to give the score line justice, although perhaps that would have made it an easy win and not seem such an amazing game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has taken me a while to read through this thread, but I have to say, WOWā€”what a game!

The pressure and intensity from our players (and, in fairness, Richmond's) was next-level from the first bounce and barely waned until the final siren. If you look at some of the stats from the game (+80 disposals, +31 I50s, +15 shots at goal, +15 in centre clearances and +3 at stoppages, +43 contested possessions, 16.92 turnovers per 100 possessions vs 25.42 turnovers per 100 possessions, +7 marks inside 50, +1 in tackles despite having far more of the ball), we should've handed the Tigers an absolute flogging. That said, in some ways, I think the way we wonā€”very much up against it at 3QT but came out and dominated the last quarter from siren to sirenā€”was more beneficial from a team belief point of view than a 10-goal belting would've been.

Wines was absolutely unstoppable, Boak was in everything, Gray was back to his brilliant best, Butters was so impactful and didn't waste a touch, and SPP's manic attack on the ball was a sight to behold. A whole bunch of others also deserve individual praise, but it was, overall, an excellent team performance with very few caveatsā€”one of those being our set shot kicking at goal (I'm looking at you, Charles).

It was an unbelievable game to be at and I haven't enjoyed a match so much since 2014, possibly September 2004. The crowd sounded like a rather vociferous 35,000 more than it did a socially-distanced 10,000, and I genuinely think it helped our players maintain the rage. From a personal point of view, I can't remember ever losing my s**t at the umpiring as much as I did in the second quarter, or celebrating every good bit of play as hard as I did throughout the game. Sincere apologies to anyone sitting near me in Row E, Bay 335 for that.

Although I wish I could've stuck around for a while after the siren to revel in the excitement of the win, my day was topped off beautifully with dinner at Herringbone on Halifax St for the Old Man's 60th birthday (amazing food and wine, and at least one of the owners is a mad Ports fan).

I'm starting to believe again. A win on Friday night will help, but we're already in it up to our necks this year fam.

We are going to lose more games. That is a given. But our best I believe is good enough to beat everyone this year. We are a genuinely good team this year.

We'll lose to teams that bring a tonne of defensive pressure to stop our run. Richmond do that, but they place just as much emphasis on scoring, so leave themselves open in return.
St Kilda did it and were happy to just soak it up and take any spoils that happened to come their way.

We'll lose to teams that bring a tonne of defensive pressure to stop our run. Richmond do that, but they place just as much emphasis on scoring, so leave themselves open in return.
St Kilda did it and were happy to just soak it up and take any spoils that happened to come their way.
interesting to see if we can handle Geelong and what they did to the Saints last night. Held lots of possession and slowed things down...

interesting to see if we can handle Geelong and what they did to the Saints last night. Held lots of possession and slowed things down...

Yeah, we drew Richmond into a shoot out with our fast start. The pace of the game was frenetic. We need to do that again.

Difference being Richmond play a somewhat similar style, so I'm not it was a response, more their way of playing. Geelong appear very different so it will be harder to lure them in. It's a boring cliche but it come down to the midfield. If we get on top in the middle and around the ground, either through pressure or first touch, we find it pretty easy to get the game on our terms. We have the ability to strangle teams with the way we set up. Half forwards closing off the short kicks will be critical to this.

I'm not completely convinced this is the way to beat us. We've been very strong against sides that move the ball slowly because we've been able to convert that into significant numbers of repeat inside 50 entries. I think Richmond showed that the way to counter our forward half defence is to take contested marks at half back, play on quickly and then kick into space to players running at speed towards the goals. The quick play handpass to running players resulted in our backs getting a bit too close to the footy and allowing too much space out the back. I thought the player who stepped up in the 4th to stymie this tactic was Karl Amon who I thought won a number of important possessions on the western wing.

I may be over skeptical of the Saints, but I think the largest contributors to that result was Ladhams getting double teamed by Marshall and Ryder, and losing Mackenzie in the warm up, which screwed up our defensive structure.

I may be over skeptical of the Saints, but I think the largest contributors to that result was Ladhams getting double teamed by Marshall and Ryder, and losing Mackenzie in the warm up, which screwed up our defensive structure.

Completely agree with all you've said. There were plenty of things that went wrong against the Saints - it wasn't just Ladhams that got beat, the whole midfield just couldn't get a foothold even with the pressure game. Structure was off, against the greatest set shot kicking game. With all that, we were 9 points down with about 9 minutes to go from memory when Hoff turned it over. At that point, I think we crumbled for the first time this year and the Saints cashed in. Credit to the Saints, they were good that night. Will be interesting to see how a rematch goes though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back