Preview Round 11, 2022: Gold Coast v Hawthorn, 7:40pm 28th May, TIO stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Howe!!!???

Nope. Not okay. Not even slightly.
Wouldn't want him in there too regularly, but it's better for him to take the hits than continuing to sacrifice promising young talls. Plus he's pretty useful when the ball hits the ground.

I laughed at the thought of Howe in the ruck...
But, playing devil's advocate...Howe gives his all, is never afraid to put his body on the line, and is relatively durable/well built. It also gives us an additional defensive midfielder in our setups.

Would it be the worst thing? Arguably we could have Howe ruck, Nash, Newcombe and a third player at the drop of the ball...we might lose the taps but the opposition midfield are going to have a hard time getting it out.

And if all Witts does is start smashing the ball forward by 20 metres each bounce or throw, well if our half backs adapt well, that is as good as a rushed kick out of the centre that is gathered by our half backs.

Perhaps I am simply looking for the silver lining.

The Bulldogs regularly made finals with Josh Dunkley as a chop out in the ruck. If we're only doing it for one week why not give Howe a run in there? We'll likely lose the taps but sometimes it's better preparing for that. This way our mids can focus on roving to Witts taps or defending the Suns engine room without needing to be expecting our own ruck to win the hit out. It actually simplifies the task.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Silvani rucks a fair bit and he’s shorter than Howe

Obviously he is more a chop out /second ruck but we don’t really have any other options and at least Howe’s a 4th midfielder

They are about the same, I think wikipedia is out of date, on the cfc site JS is at 1.94

Paul Dear used to chop out in the ruck and he was 1.88!

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back