Preview Round 19 - Sydney v Geelong, Sunday @ SCG

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will assume they will want Menegola to play at least one more VFL game.

Therefore:

In: Henry, Narkle/Constable
Out: Atkins, Parsons

Maybe Smith for Stanley too.

VFL team has the bye this coming week - makes it a bit harder with the Menegola situation, because no doubt a second week in the VFL would be beneficial but it's not an option unless we are holding him back for another 3 weeks from senior football

I'm thinking we'll see Scooter into the team this week

Outs: Stanley, Parsons & Atkins
Ins: Scooter, Smith & Menegola/Simpson

VFL team has the bye this coming week - makes it a bit harder with the Menegola situation, because no doubt a second week in the VFL would be beneficial but it's not an option unless we are holding him back for another 3 weeks from senior football
Good point. Didn’t realise that. Then I assume he will play AFL.

In: Henry, Menegola

Me...
In. Smith, Scooter, Menegola, Constable
Out. Stanley, Atkins, Rohan, Parsons

But Chris Scott won't drop these players that needs to be dropped and grow some tennis balls.
Constable wins us clearances which we are struggling to do..
Wouldn't mind Narkle in to bring some pace and speed

I will assume they will want Menegola to play at least one more VFL game.

Therefore:

In: Henry, Narkle/Constable

Maybe Smith for Stanley too.

Good changes. I'd go with all three, and move Duncan into the centre, and put 2e on the wing as well.

EDIT: I'd bring in Scooter too

GEELONG CATS
Time for change at Geelong after frustrating loss to Hawthorn
GEELONG must make changes after a shock loss to Hawthorn, says the Geelong Advertiser’s chief football writer Lachie Young.
LACHIE YOUNG, Chief football writer, Geelong Advertiser
Subscriber only
|
20 minutes ago

FOXSPORTS2:12
Hawks claw down Cats
AFL: Hawthorn have stunned the competition's top side Geelong to grab their fourth straight win.

WITH ten minutes left on the clock in the last quarter yesterday, Geelong found itself 10 points down.
Clearly, when the Cats are playing at their best, that type of margin is not insurmountable.
They were seemingly down and out and up against it facing a fired-up Hawthorn at the MCG, but time was on their side.

FOXSPORTS0:37
Crooked kicks cost Cats
AFL: Geelong's Esava Ratugolea, Rhys Stanley, Gryan Miers and Zach Tuohy all miss straightforward shots back-to-back-to-...

In the end though, no amount of time would have been enough, so inspired were the Hawks and so bereft of form and confidence were Chris Scott’s men.
But time is now one of the major positives Geelong must look to take out of what was an ordinary day.
Time to reflect on just where it is at following a five-week stretch of games that has brought losses against Port Adelaide, the Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn, and victories at GMHBA Stadium over Adelaide and St Kilda.
Time to consider whether it can continue with the same ruck set-up that has helped elevate it to first position on the ladder, or whether there is an opening for change following Ben McEvoy’s strong performance against Rhys Stanley.
Is Scott Selwood back in the mix? Picture: Peter Ristevski
Is Scott Selwood back in the mix? Picture: Peter Ristevski
Time to make a call on whether the decision not to adopt a traditional set-up at centre bounces needs revisiting, and whether now is the ideal moment to bring in a midfielder such as Scott Selwood, who would be prepared to sacrifice his own for the good of team.
Time to address whether electric forward Gary Rohan needs to bring a little more to the table following a flat post-bye period, which in fairness to the former Swan came after a stellar start to the 2019 season and has come on the back of concussion suffered in the loss to the Power.
There are players out of form at AFL level, players in form at VFL level.
The senior team is yet to get back to where it was at in the first half of the season and opposition sides are beginning to sense the Cats are gettable.
As Scott has said repeatedly this year, it is not who you play, but when you play them that dictates so much of what can happen throughout any given season.
But while Scott is referencing his own team and who it plays when he talks about the timing of when Geelong takes on certain opponents, those same opposition sides must now be believing there has never been a better time to take on the Cats.
Gary Rohan kicked one goal against the Hawks. Picture: Hamish Blair
Gary Rohan kicked one goal against the Hawks. Picture: Hamish Blair
It makes the run home — Geelong plays Sydney and Fremantle away, North Melbourne at GMHBA Stadium, Brisbane away and Carlton at GMHBA Stadium in the final five weeks of the season — fascinating.
The Swans and the Blues are out of the race, the Roos would need everything to go right to play finals, the Dockers remain an outside chance and the Lions are now gunning for a top two finish.
But irrespective of where those teams sit, they will be convincing themselves the opportunity to get one over Geelong is as big as it has been since last year.
Owing to its superior percentage, even another loss next week won’t knock the Cats off their perch at the top of the AFL table, but the bigger picture has to be finding form before finals, because regardless of where they finish and who, when and where they play in week one of September, they won’t get too far in the form they find themselves in at the moment.
For that reason, time has now become the ace up Geelong’s sleeve, and it is imperative that Scott and his team do not waste it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the way we're playing now and against Sydney, I think one thing is for certain - if you're suffering from insomnia, this will be the game for you. Much like the Bulldogs and St. Kilda games, I'll be expecting a very dour, overly-defensive fray with one team eking out a win by a couple of goals in the most unconvincing win possible.

Time to piss with the wind, take the game on and run run run.
Screw the scoreboard, time to play a style that suits finals and JUST DO IT, not worry about what the swans may or may not do, just play our way.

Gonna take time to teach them to run forwards, and not ever decreasing loops

Outs Bews, Atkins, Parsons, Rohan
Ins Henry, Narkle, Constable, S Selwood

Henry and Bews are equally s**t but Henry offers a bit more in the air.

No point playing Rohan if we are going with slow ball movement cos he offers nothing in congestion.

I'd love to drop Taylor and Stanley but can only make so many changes. Joel Selwood is also looking pretty cooked, probably needs a rest.

I don't really think Rohan deserves to be dropped, he still provides some nice moments even with how s**t we've been and is vital for us if we're to be going deep in finals.

Out: Parsons (a.k.a delist him), Atkins, Stanley
In: Narkle, Menegola (if not yet, then Scooter or Constable), Abbott/Smith

Abbott had 21 touches and 50 hitouts on the weekend fwiw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back