Preview Round 19 - Sydney v Geelong, Sunday @ SCG

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My tip for Sunday don't kick the ball anywhere near Jake LLoyd.
Maybe that is the reason Atkins is in? To just sit on his hip for the game... Or actually, maybe that is why Scooter is back in :think:

I like the smith change. But we have replaced
Rohan for henry
Stanley for smith
Tuohy for selwood.

All 3 changes bring in a slower player. Narkle is in good form. Yet no dice. So much for moving the ball quicker. Scott isnt going to change the game plan. he is going to ramp up his existing plan of holding the ball up and playing methodoligical. If it doesnt work just go more extreme. That is scotts mantra. There is no plan b as plan b in his mind is a failure. His ego cant take it.

Not sure this is exactly right my friend.

Henry might be slower than Rowan, but he’s faster than just about everyone else in the team.

If you actually did your swaps right, it’s a defender for a defender, ruck for a ruck and midfielder for a pressure forward.

The team playing faster has actually got nothing to do with running speed.

Otherwise when Rowan and Tuohy were in the team we’d have played faster no? 🤔

Everyone (players and coaches too) acknowledges that when we had our chances we were not risky enough.

Fingers crossed that we see some of that tomorrow.

Can we stop saying CRAFT!
This word popped up last year but I can’t remember who used it first.
Before we knew it there were commentators coming out of the woodwork, craft this, craft that.
The classic case is Johnathon Brown, (not the sharpest tool), he couldn’t help himself.
“great craft”, “ that kick was good craft”, “ his craft is really good”
Craft is a word that may be used occasionally in an overall discussion, not every five minutes
to describe what a player did, or to replace, “ruck work” (as above), or “good forward play”
Funnily enough, for a full year we only heard, “forward craft” no “back craft” or “ mid craft”
or in fact “ruck craft.” Larry, I hope you haven’t started something.
I half expected, Brown, Roos, Johnson and Brereton to start complimenting each other with
“ commentator craft.” I have no doubt that Dermie’s opinion of himself would not preclude it.
You are funny. I used that term when I played a lifetime ago. Only with rucks. Must be an oldie you dont think is a goodie.
First time Ive used it on here though.
My mind a little sharper than the aforementioned

Ball movement always trumps leg speed... The names on paper while not overly inspiring may look 100% better than we did last week if we move the ball with some intent... I will say for the faults i find with Scooter he has an instinctive footy brain and moves the ball on quickly... He won't stiffle our movement.

Agree all points.

I just want to see them play instinctive, free footy.....not the stop, check, think, stuff it up rubbish they've been employing.

Swans are rubbish we should smash them
The swans actually are not Rubbish.
They are just lacking weapons at the moment. There'd be many coaches that wouldn't have been able to get them playing like they are.

Which is: solid around the contest, good defensively, and a game plan built on ball movement.
The issue with lacking weapons to go to is that they are using the ball too much.

People seem to be assuming he’ll be way more competitive in the ruck contests. It’s like they’ve forgotten that he’s not actually that much better in that regard than Rhys, if it all.

See TheWoodenSlug's post at #188 of this thread for comprehensive analysis of how marginal any advantage Zac actually provides over Rhys in pure ruck contests has proven to be in reality.

And then cue the '...but I know what I see' rejoinders from all those who are bemused by the compelling stats on the subject.

I hope you're right for the sake of the club. If Parsons came out this weekend and played a blinder, I'd be loving it. I'm not part of an anti-Parsons movement (like many of the Guthrie haters) but I've just never seen anything to think he's going to make it.

Whether you’re on the Parsons train or not, he’s getting to the point where he simply has to do more. He’s not a first year player now.

Whether you’re on the Parsons train or not, he’s getting to the point where he simply has to do more. He’s not a first year player now.
I'd suggest that after getting 30+ games he absolutely must start to show something... It isn't like he hasn't been given chances

The swans actually are not Rubbish.
They are just lacking weapons at the moment. There'd be many coaches that wouldn't have been able to get them playing like they are.

Which is: solid around the contest, good defensively, and a game plan built on ball movement.
The issue with lacking weapons to go to is that they are using the ball too much.
They are well drilled and well coached aren't they... For the critics of Horse i agree that I don't think many other coaches could turn them around as he has, they are just dowm on man power... But system and structure will keep it competitive..

Likely going to be a very unmemorable game that is an absolute grind

Feels strange how after years of dreading late changes, I'm now hoping and praying we make one and Narkle is a late inclusion for Parsons.

Henderson for Henry is the one i was hoping for, but Parsons and Atkins are lucky. I think there will be changes next week when guys come back.

I'd suggest that after getting 30+ games he absolutely must start to show something... It isn't like he hasn't been given chances
I'm not really sure he's been given chances lately.
At the very start I definately saw something in him. Not world beater sort of stuff, but that Shane Hamilton free wheeling type of play.

Then he was given an extended run and it disappeared. Then he went out and has never looked like having anything when he gets his 1/2 chance.

I kind feel like he's playing to structure too much. And he seems to get stuck between the guy that has the ball and the guy it's going to. A lot like Menzel last year.

It's what I love about Clark. He respects the structure but when he 'feels' it's time to break the structure and run off his man he does it with conviction.

Parsons does not.

They are well drilled and well coached aren't they... For the critics of Horse i agree that I don't think many other coaches could turn them around as he has, they are just dowm on man power... But system and structure will keep it competitive..

Likely going to be a very unmemorable game that is an absolute grind
Aside from our team I'll be watching heeney and Blakey. Boy can those two play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a danger game for the reverse Brownlow.

The reverse Brownlow is based on Brownlow votes for opposition position. Stanley has managed to collect votes throughout the season with best on grounds from almost every opponent rucks.

With a depleted Swans ruck division the match committee has pulled out all stops with Zac coming back in.

Zac will have to work extra hard to make sure his opponent gets votes this week.

You can do it Zac!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets face facts we have 4 crap ruckmen on the list.
Crap is a bit of an overstatement.

From my perspective we have Stanley and Smith who have good things they do and other things that are very bad. Abbott is kind of an all-rounder, but not particularly good at anything. And Fort I just do not understand the point of at all.

I might be willing to concede one crap ruck. Arguably two if you count Schlensog from where he's at instead of where he might get to.

Yeah, but 4 crap Ruckmen is still better than one good.. oh wait no it’s not

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Media: Chris, what did you think of Stanley's game today?
Scott: We have four ruckman on our list and we're very happy with them.
Media: But Stanley got comprehensively beaten. Does that mean he will be dropped?
Scott: Wylie Buzza is another one who can ruck.
Media: Is Zac Smith a chance to come in?
Scott: Esava is also a ruckman. So really we have 6 ruckman on our list.
Media: So...
Scott: We love Rhys Stanley's athleticism. He gives us something different. Dary Fort is another one.
Media: Another what?
Scott: Forward ruck. We see him as a mobile forward who can ruck.
Media: Really?
Scott: Also, Blicavs. Wow, that's seven ruckman. So yeah, we're really happy with the ruck situation going forward.

He gets very few consecutive weeks at this level
Some great VFL games, travelling non-playing emergency, back to VFL, a game, back to VFL. Is this the first time this year he has consecutive games? Yes, I believe.

I can see the logic in selecting Zac Smith for this game.
He will have a massive 9cm and 13kg advantage over McLean and should monster him.
I think Smith is a better hit out to advantage ruckman than Stanley and the size difference
will accentuate that.
The SCG will actually suit Smith being very short as I know people are worried about
his ability to cover the ground.
I am surprised he has not played more this year, personally I like having that very tall
big bodied ruckman in the side.

Scooter has broken ribs. Let's bring him in for his first AFL game of the year then.
Let's not play Narkle when he's actually found form.
Scans cleared him of rib damage.
Wow. I thought he had to come off the ground last week from a hit.
Guess he's ready for AFL physicality then.
Inconvenient facts lol.
Another one for you. Scooter has more appearances in the bests in the last month than Narkle has all season.

Poor call spazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back