Preview Round 2 - Adelaide v Port Adelaide @ AO Saturday 13/6 @ 7pm

How pumped are you for Saturday night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He’ll need to be
True, but we are slowly developing a deeper midfield and I'd say our 2 first rounders go towards a couple more with Edwards in the wings

After years of ripping into Carlton for measuring a successful season on a top 2 draft pick, I’m ashamed that a % of our supporter base is happy to accept a loss to Kern’s mob in pursuit of this goal.

What a sad club we have become.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Carlton and Melbourne draft abysmally. If works if you have decent recruiters.

Hawks, Pies, Saints (albeit no premiership) and Richmond are good examples of tanking leading to sustained time at the top.

Not for me. Key forward is a hole. Thilthorpe and Baldwin should be priority before Edwards and Newchurch for free.
Tilthorpe would be the only one I'd draft before a gun midfielder.

McAsey or Worrall could also be that guy, alongside Fogarty of course.

I want those two to become cornerstone of an elite backline. With Hamill, Sholl, Doedee and hopefully McPherson forming the rest.
Got a feeling 1 will be a forward, almost certainly if Jordy Butts improves

Play kids and show some fight and signs of they'll come good in the long run really is my pass mark here. Port aren't anything special but should be too good for us this time.

Also ******* off Gibbs/Mackay/other old hacks off the half-back line would do wonders.

Hawks, Pies, Saints (albeit no premiership) and Richmond are good examples of tanking leading to sustained time at the top.
You don't need to tank when you are s**t. Clubs that tank are pathetic albeit west coast is a prime example of a club that successfully used the tactic. The crows must play the future as they are our only hope of moving up the ladder along with good trading and high draft picks that stay.

I'll still support the AFC, watch their games with interest and cheer them on, but honestly it's hard to see a future with this group.

There are some good young players here and there but the engine room, which is almost the key component of any good side seems to be bereft of talent. MCrouch is elite at finding the ball but very-very-slightly-above-average at best when it comes to disposing it. BCrouch just always seems to have at least two, three or four players on his ass whenever he gets the ball and, as a consequence, is always disposing the ball sloppily under pressure. Sloane is solid, but is now a legit veteran. Who else do we have in the guts?

After years of ripping into Carlton for measuring a successful season on a top 2 draft pick, I’m ashamed that a % of our supporter base is happy to accept a loss to Kern’s mob in pursuit of this goal.

What a sad club we have become.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's not sad. It's being pragmatic. We're a bottom four side quality-wise in 2020 and one who needs to pump games into kids, seeing we have a rather old core. Port is a team that should at the very minimum be competitive for finals up until the last week.

They're not good enough for this to be an easy win, however, it isn't a game where we are likely to get a win. Between us playing the oldest side possible and beating Port or a young side and losing by 4 goals, I'm taking the young side option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And have a good amount of prime players and veterans who can set standards and guide rookies through the dark times without them getting lost.

Whilst I do think we have the veterans to get us through it for the most part, I'm not 100% confident on it considering the last two years. It's not a Hawthorn or West Coast where there were a few grand final winners around the place.

And have a good amount of prime players and veterans who can set standards and guide rookies through the dark times without them getting lost.

Whilst I do think we have the veterans to get us through it for the most part, I'm not 100% confident on it considering the last two years. It's not a Hawthorn or West Coast where there were a few grand final winners around the place.
Guys like Walker, Lynch, Talia and Sloane are still those guys, it's the middle tier that concerns me.

It's not sad. It's being pragmatic. We're a bottom four side quality-wise in 2020 and one who needs to pump games into kids, seeing we have a rather old core. Port is a team that should at the very minimum be competitive for finals up until the last week.

They're not good enough for this to be an easy win, however, it isn't a game where we are likely to get a win. Between us playing the oldest side possible and beating Port or a young side and losing by 4 goals, I'm taking the young side option.
This is not correct .....you are severely overrating the departures from last year ....we still have an excellent core of the best from the last couple of seasons

What we have lost is the depth, any club needs to play finals deep

Guys like Walker, Lynch, Talia and Sloane are still those guys, it's the middle tier that concerns me.

Whilst I would like to see us make a choice on one of Walker and Lynch just due to both being in the key forward positions and myself would rather see us partner up Fogarty with a kid (though, I have a sneaking suspicion and this is with nothing based behind it that Worrell might end up being this person long term) to build some chemistry whilst we are just existing for a couple of seasons.

That said, that middle tier does look rather frail. Crouch bros, Smith, Seedsman (though, potentially Seeds could be in the first group), Atkins etc isn't exactly an exciting proposition. A lot of players who we are gambling on Nicks ending up getting them out of a funk/one season wonders etc. Mind you, I reckon Atkins might blossom into someone who we could rely on though, he was pretty electric against Sydney.

Whilst I would like to see us make a choice on one of Walker and Lynch just due to both being in the key forward positions and myself would rather see us partner up Fogarty with a kid (though, I have a sneaking suspicion and this is with nothing based behind it that Worrell might end up being this person long term) to build some chemistry whilst we are just existing for a couple of seasons.

That said, that middle tier does look rather frail. Crouch bros, Smith, Seedsman (though, potentially Seeds could be in the first group), Atkins etc isn't exactly an exciting proposition. A lot of players who we are gambling on Nicks ending up getting them out of a funk/one season wonders etc. Mind you, I reckon Atkins might blossom into someone who we could rely on though, he was pretty electric against Sydney.
A lot of people didn't think so, but if that's what we can expect to see from Rat these days I like it.

This is not correct .....you are severely overrating the departures from last year ....we still have an excellent core of the best from the last couple of seasons

What we have lost is the depth, any club needs to play finals deep

That core is a year older, failed two years in a row and also carries a lot of mental baggage.

I don't rate many of our departures on their own (the only one I think is rather baffling was Greenwood), but its a group that has become very stale as a whole, and one that looks like they know they've blown their only shot. It would take a coaching masterclass from Nicks this season to get them pushing finals and a lot of luck.

That core is a year older, failed two years in a row and also carries a lot of mental baggage.

I don't rate many of our departures on their own (the only one I think is rather baffling was Greenwood), but its a group that has become very stale as a whole, and one that looks like they know they've blown their only shot. It would take a coaching masterclass from Nicks this season to get them pushing finals and a lot of luck.
I thought we could make the 8 before CoVid19 .....but not now, with the mental impact of the break, and loss of coaches and support staff

A stale group can be revitalised though with a new Coach and an injection of youth ......for us though the critical ingredient was that youth, but also midfield speed ....that's problem 1,2, and 3

Club needs to be honest with itself now more than ever. The club has been run into the ground by a derelict administration and yes men coaches who have carried out a misguided board directive to push for finals at all costs. This has led to our current predicament of a first 22 that will finish 15th to 18th this year and a core group of young players which we have no idea will make it as they have not been played. If the organisation had been honest with itself after 2017 it could have rebuilt on the run without bottoming out for 2 to 3 years which now seems likely.

Last edited:
I thought we could make the 8 before CoVid19 .....but not now, with the mental impact of the break, and loss of coaches and support staff

A stale group can be revitalised though with a new Coach and an injection of youth ......for us though the critical ingredient was that youth, but also midfield speed ....that's problem 1,2, and 3

I'm expecting it to take a few more delistings and a bit more turnover of youth before that occurs. Both on off-field staff and on-field.

It's practically rock bottom that we're coming back from and I really don't think Nicks is capable of that in one season (not to say he doesn't have a premiership coach in him, but I do think this is one of those situations where you need to have experience in being a head coach to pull it off). He is no Blight.

It's a 2-3 year thing for me.

Club needs to be honest with itself now more than ever. The club has been run into the ground by a derelict administration and yes men coaches who have carried out a misguided board directive to push for finals at all costs. This has led to our current predicament of a first 22 that will finish 15th to 18th this year and a core of young players which we have no idea will make it as they have not been played. If the organisation had been honest with itself after 2017 it could have rebuilt on the run without bottoming out for likely 2 to 3 years.

You 100% do not rebuild in 2017. That is just being very reactionary. You have a side good enough to make it, and really the key is just drafting/trading in a small forward to replace the defensive game Cameron offered, and some more midfield reinforcements to make it deeper (which is why I'll never be that critical on the move to get Gibbs in, it was the right decision to pay for a midfielder, it was just a gamble that didn't pay off). 2018 though and you should heavily be considering to pull that trigger as we were losing the piece that made our forward line tick on top of a bad season.

The second half of 2019... what a wasted opportunity. That was the moment you have to pull that trigger and we refused, having a coaching group that were s**t scared for their jobs. Maybe it was unavoidable with the damage already being done between off-field staff and players, but we could have been 12 games ahead at the minimum.

I'm expecting it to take a few more delistings and a bit more turnover of youth before that occurs. Both on off-field staff and on-field.

It's practically rock bottom that we're coming back from and I really don't think Nicks is capable of that in one season (not to say he doesn't have a premiership coach in him, but I do think this is one of those situations where you need to have experience in being a head coach to pull it off). He is no Blight.

It's a 2-3 year thing for me.

You 100% do not rebuild in 2017. That is just being very reactionary. You have a side good enough to make it, and really the key is just drafting/trading in a small forward to replace the defensive game Cameron offered, and some more midfield reinforcements to make it deeper (which is why I'll never be that critical on the move to get Gibbs in, it was the right decision to pay for a midfielder, it was just a gamble that didn't pay off). 2018 though and you should heavily be considering to pull that trigger as we were losing the piece that made our forward line tick on top of a bad season.

The second half of 2019... what a wasted opportunity. That was the moment you have to pull that trigger and we refused, having a coaching group that were s**t scared for their jobs. Maybe it was unavoidable with the damage already being done between off-field staff and players, but we could have been 12 games ahead at the minimum.
What if that was our chance in 2017 and we blew it? Tbh we were never going to have a better chance than that year to win it. There was no standout team and it was the perfect year to pinch a flag as richmond unfortunately did. If you remember in 2017 we had a very strong home record but nothing to write home about away against top 5 teams. Generally interstate premiers perform strongly away against top teams if they are to win on the mcg in sept. The reasons 2017 was our best chance are that the experienced best players were declining post 2017 and not on the incline which is where you want your core experienced group to be to have a consistent run at multiple flags. We also lost Cameron and Lever. Cameron was a massive loss, Lever not so. Losing McGovern the following year meant our contested marking was gone along with the inevitavle decline of Lynch, Walker and Betts. The Gibbs trade was farcical and beyond a joke for what we gave up. No decent club would have entertained it let alone done it. Disagree strongly about your thoughts on what should have been done after 2017. I know what Clarko would have done as he looks at a team honestly whether it wins the flag or finishes last. Thats why they win flags and we dont.

Back