Toast Round 20 = Collingwood 88-82 Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Fly's presser

Another close win.
"You'd love to be winning by more. I just said to the playing group then, we're doing a lot right. You can clearly watch us play and there are moments where little bounces of the ball, it's just footy isn't it. I thought today wasn't a 6 point win to be honest. We probably did enough to warrant a scoreboard that looked slightly different to what it is but anyway, we get a win".

Regardless of the margins, 10 consecutive wins must be special?
"Yeah, I said we had a moment to smell the roses just in the rooms. I think we can say we've qualified for the finals and we haven't really spoken about that until now, or literally till half an hour ago. Not that we will stop and rest and smell the roses for too long but there's a moment of reset ourselves of now that we've qualified, now 'let's get busy'".

You're a first year coach, has finals happened faster than you thought?
"Yeah, we did talk about that when we came together as a group and we were all trying to form a relationship. You're set on a vision and trying to get yourself better every day and trying to become winners and act like winners. To say we're in a position we thought we might be, I don't think that's true."

Taylor Adams and Jeremy Howe sustained injuries. How are they?
"Tay will get scans, but it looks like he's got some groin injury of some sort so we'll get some scans to learn what that looks like. Howie's just got a knee in the backside and unfortunately just couldn't function, so he'll be fine. Unfortunately, he just couldn't get on the ground so he should be okay."

Brodie Grundy returned through the VFL today. Where does he sit in terms of his availability next week?
"Yeah, we were rapt. He took a big step forward today. We thought he needed the run and played up until the last quarter in the VFL and by all reports he was getting better as the game was going on. I watched two quarters and I was happy with what I saw. He got a little scuffled and got the bumps and bruises you need to which you can't get at training. We're trying to set him up whether that's six days time, we'll see how he pulls up. We're really pleased he got through today".

Are you definitely not going to play Cox, Cameron and Grundy in the same team?
"I said 'no' originally on the back of Checkers being available. If Checkers is not there then we'll probably need a key there. I probably should always preface what I say. We're anticipating Checkers will be right next week, so I would be surprised if we played all three".

Jack Ginnivan spoke post match about the toll on his mental health in the last few weeks. Are you wrapping your arms around him?
"Yeah. We're conscious of this. We see him and we try to protect him. We get to a point where we say I think maybe enough is enough; let's look after this kid. There's all these stories and again we've got to look at what we can control around that. He's a 19 year old kid and he's saying his mental health has been strained. Let's look after him".

Ginnivan kicked 3 goals today, what did you make of him on the field?
"I thought he prepared really well today for this game. The way he trained and reset himself a little bit during the week. He trained with great purpose and for a young guy trying to forge a way in the AFL, you got to prepare well whether it's training, diet, sleep. All these little things matter and today he got rewarded and you're not always going to. Today he got rewarded from what I saw of what was a great week of preparation and he should be proud of that".

Is Ginnivan being treated fairly by the umpires?
"This is a story that keeps rolling on. The way we look at it is you're going to get some right and get some wrong. Jack keeps putting himself in a situation where he's a bit of spotlight for this stuff. This is another great lesson for him and for all of us where free kicks were not paid potentially and we just got on with it. You have to. What if it's a Grand Final; just get on with it. Jack got on with it today and Ash Johnson got on with it. Late in the game their might've been a free kick paid not against us or not for us, and you just get on with it. I think that's a good lesson for us".

We do see Ginnivan "getting on with it", but it's obviously taking its toll behind the scenes for him.
"I'm not going to speak further to it. I've made my comments about it. We'll try to protect him as best as we can".

You can tick off making finals. How do you set up for the next three weeks?
"Like we do every week. In six days we've got Melbourne; I don't want to look too far ahead and we haven't done that all year but we live in the moment now and we look at what we did well and what we can improve on. If you step in our four walls, you wouldn't know that we have won. This group is getting back to work and within six days it will come around really quickly but nothing changes, we just got to keep trying to improve ourselves and see where that gets us".

You're keeping it at one week at a time, but the run of Melbourne, Sydney and Carlton must be a good build up to finals?
"I think every game presents as an opportunity to get yourself ready for finals. Those teams in particular are all in the eight as it stands, so it's a great opportunity to see where we sit."

I’m starting to dream…that Carlton won’t win the flag. I’ve been worried sick about it.

With that sorted, I can turn my attention to the Pies.😋
We could have an opportunity to knock Carlton out of the finals. Dream result.

I'm not trying to be dramatic, but do we think there is any chance Nick will get cited for the pre first bounce elbow incident?

It's been universally described as the worst free kick of the season, no chance.

This is the reason why people are so critical of umpires. Stay the * out of the game and do your job when required.

Well done to Ginnivan today.

He's had an unreasonable amount of scrutiny and kicked 3 really good goals.. more importantly none from free kicks, and set up another. Should have kicked 4 dropping that sitter in the square. He just got himself in dangerous positions and that type of game today is what he should set as his benchmark. Doesn't need to kick 3 every week but just get to the right spots front and centre.

One criticism I have is his tackling needs some work.

Great interview post game from the young fella.

A couple of pre seasons in the gym will do wonders for Ginni.

He's still a relatively skinny kid right now getting by on a strong Footy IQ.

This whole umpiring vendetta will only make him a better player in the long run.

Gotta love him, cracks in when needed and just knows how to find the big sticks. He's a crucial part of us going deep in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is getting ridiculous. Ginnivan is a young guy riding a wave of success who invites attention and seems more than capable of coping with any backlash to his in your face behaviour. As he say, he has lots of support and I am sure he is more that he is more than capable of coping with the publicity he is generating.

What's your point?

What does anyone else's issues have to do with the way Ginni feels about his own?

Bizarre take.

Not sure what Ginnivan or the club thought would happen when he decided he wanted to be the no 1 antagonist. From then on he was going to get plenty of heat. Maybe the club should've stepped in earlier.

Who has he actually antagonised?

Because he coloured his hair blonde and plays for the biggest club in the land?

It's been a media beat up in regards to Ginni taking the piss out of the high tackle rule. That's where it grew legs, nothing to do with the kid himself. campaigners like Montagna and the like took issue with it and it became far bigger than it needed to be.

Great to see the young fella getting back to what he does best yesterday. I was in the camp of give him a complete rest for a week. However, terrific coaching to back him and get him to perform.

Last edited:
Fly's presser

Another close win.

Regardless of the margins, 10 consecutive wins must be special?

You're a first year coach, has finals happened faster than you thought?

Taylor Adams and Jeremy Howe sustained injuries. How are they?

Brodie Grundy returned through the VFL today. Where does he sit in terms of his availability next week?

Are you definitely not going to play Cox, Cameron and Grundy in the same team?

Jack Ginnivan spoke post match about the toll on his mental health in the last few weeks. Are you wrapping your arms around him?

Ginnivan kicked 3 goals today, what did you make of him on the field?

Is Ginnivan being treated fairly by the umpires?

We do see Ginnivan "getting on with it", but it's obviously taking its toll behind the scenes for him.

You can tick off making finals. How do you set up for the next three weeks?

You're keeping it at one week at a time, but the run of Melbourne, Sydney and Carlton must be a good build up to finals?

Reading between the lines it seems McRae also thinks we would have won by more if not for the decisions (paid/not paid) that went against us. Well spoken and very subtle.

Watching the first quarter as it happened I said "the umpires have been instructed to make sure Collingwood loses" in disbelief at what I was seeing.

The holding the man frees not paid were so blatant that deliberate decisions seemed involved. Was it Buckley, who acted as umpires apologist throughout the commentary, who said the Johnson one was a professional free kick that was then not awarded.

Ginnivan got three good goals. I don't like his attitude, and all this "celebration" tripe that the commentariat delight in, but I like his play and deplore the AFL vendetta against him.

Lipinski had a great game, as did Josh Daicos. Cox and Cameron were very effective. Maynard remains a key to the back line, and the calls to move him to midfield have to be ignored. Moore was outstanding. After a jittery start, Bianco contributed well. Jamie Elliott may have lost the soaring leap, but he has gained a hardness at the ball and 5 - 10 m in his kick that are probably more valuable to the team.

Johnson and Carmichael have growing value.

Despite the closeness of the final scores, I didn't feel the stress I have over the last month as the game wound down. I don't know what that means.

Watching the first quarter as it happened I said "the umpires have been instructed to make sure Collingwood loses" in disbelief at what I was seeing.

The holding the man frees not paid were so blatant that deliberate decisions seemed involved. Was it Buckley, who acted as umpires apologist throughout the commentary, who said the Johnson one was a professional free kick that was then not awarded.

Ginnivan got three good goals. I don't like his attitude, and all this "celebration" tripe that the commentariat delight in, but I like his play and deplore the AFL vendetta against him.

Lipinski had a great game, as did Josh Daicos. Cox and Cameron were very effective. Maynard remains a key to the back line, and the calls to move him to midfield have to be ignored. Moore was outstanding. After a jittery start, Bianco contributed well. Jamie Elliott may have lost the soaring leap, but he has gained a hardness at the ball and 5 - 10 m in his kick that are probably more valuable to the team.

Johnson and Carmichael have growing value.

Despite the closeness of the final scores, I didn't feel the stress I have over the last month as the game wound down. I don't know what that means.
It means you are getting use to it and quite enjoy it.

Deposit your downturned red thumbs here. All donations gratefully accepted. Self esteem desperately in need of pruning.

Adam Levine Thumbs Down GIF by The Voice

Who has he actually antagonised?

Because he coloured his hair blonde and plays for the biggest club in the land?

It's been a media beat up in regards to Ginni taking the piss out of the high tackle rule. That's where it grew legs, nothing to do with the kid himself. campaigners like Montagna and the like took issue with it and it became far bigger than it needed to be.

Great to see the young fella getting back to what he does best yesterday. I was in the camp of give him a complete rest for a week. However, terrific coaching to back him and get him to perform.

You can't be serious.

Clown Kornes just gave his pet Connor Rozee top votes on the footy show.
Seriously?
Went to the game, Rozee although good was no way a standout
De Goey at least as influential
Even Butters for them more damaging
This goose reckons N Daicos gets cheap possessions….

Mate, they’ve been solid for the past 6 weeks. They pushed Melbourne and came within a bee’s dick of knocking off the Cats.
What have you been watching?
That's fair, I was a bit tongue in cheek. They've shown up the last month or so.

If you were a port fan, though, you'd be wondering where that sort of commitment was when the season was still alive. Instead they played weak footy, let
Hawthorn, Carlton and Adelaide dominate them for large patches, and started the season 0-5.

Much like Essendon, it's easy to come out swinging when your season is already dead. It's another thing to play brave enough to keep it alive in the first place.

Clown Kornes just gave his pet Connor Rozee top votes on the footy show.
Seriously?
Went to the game, Rozee although good was no way a standout
De Goey at least as influential
Even Butters for them more damaging
This goose reckons N Daicos gets cheap possessions….
While Rozee isn’t a player I recognise I always take note of a jumper number where an unknown opposition player is dominating. After Corne’s vote I looked up Rozee’s jumper number and #20 didn’t stand out to me at the ground.

My takeaways:
  • we were a lot better than them, never mind the score
  • ash johnson makes us a lot better. seeing him and mihocek get a good understanding of each other is an exciting proposition
  • Cox is very handy against undersize ruckmen because if we arent going well in clearances he can whack it out of the drop zone
  • lippas best game i thought because he did a few things with a higher level of composure and class than. I think hes got plenty of growth in him still
  • WHEs goals were very good. easy to overlook
  • we left a bunch of goals on the table from fumbles. I think that wont always happen
  • murphy is very strong and it makes up for his being a tad undersized.
  • j daicos is a joy to watch.
  • sideys run back into the backline was very handy
  • we still lack a certain killer instinct to put our foot on the throat when we are up. we will need to build this to get to the next level. not sure where it will come from. i think probably getting better around stoppage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back