Toast Round 15 = Collingwood 82-80 Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I've heard everything- Keays says he did not mean to pull his glasses off!

Get ****ed, he was lucky we didn’t boo him back to the stone age after that unsportsmanlike bullshit.

There were three big contested marks by Crows that led to goals. Tex took a big grab in the third. Thilthorpe was too big for Murphy in the first Maynard was outbodied by the bigger Tex in the last term.
And ROB over WHE.

How do you unintentionally make contact with a little glasses band on the back of a head that is 7 feet high in the air, and then grip and pull with enough force that they rip clean off?

Does he think anyone buys that?

Lol * off, he literally went straight for them. He’s not just a piece of crap now. He’s a lying piece of crap.

Not a huge deal obviously, but it would be so much more commendable if he just said “Yep I did it, was stupid, shouldn’ta done it” rather then tell some obvious lie to the public about it. That to me is arguably worse
Exactly. A simple “I made a poor decision in the heat of the moment and I apologise” would garner a lot more respect than a blatant lie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the game live on TV the head high contact on Dawson wasnt obvious. I can see why umpires missed it. To me it was too players attacking the ball hard from two different angles with the high contact a glancing blow. I havent seen it from a different angle. Markov could have been given a free 20 seconds earlier. I can understand Crows frustration with it though and also the Rankine goal. I think that is a 50-50 call and had umpire ruled a goal it would have been given. In real play it looked a behind on replay it looked more of a goal but even then was hard to tell.

I think Crows were unlucky and we had the slight rub of the green but it wasnt shockingly bad with obvious decisions missed like the game at Adelaide oval.
watch it again. Rankine does get his toe to the ball before it crosses the line. but his contact takes the ball back the other way, at which point, Noble's thigh/knee follows through and makes contact with the ball to take it over the goal line.

Behind.
Correct call.
As you were.

We've lost GF's from bad umpiring decisions. These same idjuts complaining never talk about this.

They would get Abused being Postive Towards Collingwood and Telling the Truth

I had assumed they must have been unsighted, but it's not possible from there. So what's the answer?
It was so strange from Rankine. I don't know why he didn't handball it. It was the other angle on telly and I initially thought it looked like he threw it, but then thought he wouldn't have. I think the umpire must have had the same thinking - surely he didn't throw it?

Was he just trying to hit Cox on the back of the head then?
Quote from the article: "I ran up to grab the back of his guernsey to pull him away and got pushed from behind and I had no idea how I ended up with his glasses, they somehow got caught on my hand."

Not buying it, Ben

Fly's presser.

You've won another close one. How do you keep getting it done?
"Yeah, ideally we wouldn't put ourselves in that position, but credit to the Crows. I thought their third quarter was outstanding. You've heard it all before I suppose. We just want to win. There's a great will to win. Johnny Noble's efforts in the last quarter and over the other side of the ground is testament to that. There's a number of players that just don't want to give up. Good method. Went back to basics, really. Like in the last quarter, we went back to the team we want to be. We couldn't get inside 50s in the third quarter through good pressure and turnovers and the like. Just went back to basics; 'let's get this going our way and see what comes of it'".

You mentioned John Noble, someone like Will Hoskin-Elliott really stood up in the last 15 minutes.
"Yeah, I'm looking forward to watching the last quarter. I tend to do a red wine replay after a win; only one glass so drink responsibly. I'm looking forward to seeing all those little efforts. I mentioned after the game that the will to compete and scrap and fight and all the things we want to be proud of or to see in us I'm looking forward to watching them because there was many".

How pleased were you with your last quarter response after a conceding a large number of consecutive goals, similar to what happened against Brisbane earlier in the year?
"What happens in the game is like you have scoreboard in your favour and then you give up turnovers and then that creates hope and then there's an energy. The opposition transitioned the ball really well. This team had transitioned the ball as good as anyone in the competition. Up until half time, they had two goals. One of the best attacking teams in the comp had two goals and I know they missed a few shots they could have got, but that's something we come in at half time and go 'we're defending the ground really well' and then all of a sudden we go away from that. They put stress on us and they kick seven goals and then we get back to it and they kick two [goals] in the last quarter. I know again they had more shots. It's a pretty simple game, like defend the ground well. Going back to your question, the ability to defend the ground and fight back was something we'll reflect on and take with us".

How close will you look at the 3rd quarter when you review the game?
"I'll wait and see on that. I'd like to see the game as an optimistic view of it; 80-20. I'm sure there's things in that third quarter I already know in my head watching it that we'll go 'ok, let's tidy that up'. They're not big things, they're little things. They really are. They're only little things and small margins in this game, we get ourselves a two point victory. It doesn't take much. It doesn't take much to give opposition hope".

Nick Daicos seemed to spend extended periods of time on the bench. Was that by design?
"He started on the bench. We thought we'd go into this game playing Nick as a mid and with Jordy [De Goey] out we sort of thought there's an opportunity and in the last couple of weeks we've done the same. Not tactically, just for what we think was the best mix for us and then maybe that gave him energy in the last quarter to keep running because he's an incredible athlete. What's lost in all of the spectacular possessions and goals and stuff is how good a runner he is. He's remarkable".

Nick Daicos seemed to be one of the big reasons why the momentum shifted in your favour in the last quarter.
"Yeah, it's a pattern of behaviour now, isn't it? It's not a one off. It's a pattern of behaviour. I must admit there's a butcher's queue for who wants to get involved and make us win. They're all on an up. They all want their turn. They get their opportunity to have their moment or that inspirational act. There's so many of them and as we go back to them, I'm looking forward to putting those together in a little bit of a package to say 'hey you got to get through this to beat us'".

What did Jeremy Howe add to the team today?
"Intercept marking. Plays to his strengths. He can play on smalls and talls. It's a nice comeback; 20 possessions or something. He's a great player for us. I don't know if he gets lost on how good a player he is. I think his ability to read the play, intercept and set up others. He's our vice captain too, so his leadership and his knowledge of the game is [something] we've missed enormously. Exciting to think he's going to get better from this".

Back on Nick Daicos, you mentioned De Goey not being there has meant he's played more midfield time. Will he stay in the midfield when De Goey returns?
"That's a good question. I think futuristically we see Nick being a midfielder, like if we're going list management forecasting we think Nick is going to be an inside mid. Wright's looking at me going 'you just stick to your job'; 'I'll coach ground balls, you do the list'. But futuristically, I think he's going to be an inside midfielder and so it's just a matter of time and picking the right opportunities when they present. Also, we don't quite have someone like him down back either to get the ball out of there, so there will be a balance".

What about Josh Daicos, have we in the media underestimated him?
"I'm not sure what the external view is. I know internally we're rapt. I think they had 70 possessions between them. Peter would be pretty happy tonight. Just the ability to do their job. I thought Josh was influential on the scoreboard with the way it looked at half time. He was significant. The way he played his role, the way his possessions had value. It's nice to see both of them smile at the end of the game and really enjoying their footy".

In the last 18 months, so much has been made about your comebacks. Are you hoping your continued ability to win close games will serve you well in the finals?
"Yeah, well there's a pattern of behaviour for that. Reality is, all 18 teams are just trying to qualify. Some have got more hope than others. Some are around the edge, and we're just in the business right now of taking it one game at a time. We just need to qualify. We haven't qualified yet; like if we lost every other game I wouldn't have thought our position in the eight is guaranteed. We're just got to keep working towards that. Expectation aside or whatever it looks like, we're just in that world, we're living in that space. All the little lessons, the little patterns, the little opportunities missed or gained, they're all going to stand us in good stead when we need them, to draw upon them and that's what you call experience".

What did you make of Mason Cox's last quarter?
"He's having a great year isn't he? He's significant in terms of the crowd. 65,000 here on a Sunday [in the] middle of winter. I must admit, my daughter didn't scan her ticket, so I think they missed one so whatever the number is, add one to that. Mason's been fantastic. He's got a presence. He's kicking his goals. He's got a presence, he's playing with great spunk. We're rapt with how he's going".

Any concern with Brayden Maynard as he came off the ground late in the game?
"I'll say no. But again, you have to wait until Tuesday when we see him next. I thought it just was a winding or whatever. I think he'll be ok".

The Tom Mitchell 50 was soft.
The Rankine goal line decision tight as.
Dawson was bleeding from the contact to the face, there are four umps to hopefully avoid situations where they are unsighted, yet they missed it.
We got the rub of the green (no conspiracies, just worked out that way), why shouldn't they be able to highlight a decision that was objectively wrong that would have given one of the better clutch kicks going around a chance at a win in a game they did a bloody good job to play their way back into?
Got no dramas with it, personally.
I've seen that sentiment. Honestly find it puzzling. The Crows player barreled into him late with 0 chance to contest the football. That was just a classic decision to me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back