Preview Round 22 - Brisbane v Geelong @ the Gabba

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the best guys, this is one of the most looked forward to games for us for many a year. It'll be great to test ourselves against one of the power clubs of this century and the current ladder leaders.

We now know why you kept hold of Lincoln McCarthy through his long years of injury worries, really clever footballer and as usual the Cats were great/fair at the trade table.

Just thought I'd let you know that the game is officially a sellout so if you're planning on coming to the game you'll need to make sure you can get tickets somehow.

This will be a clash which might answer some questions, certainly for Geelong and most pertinent for the Lions.

Mainly, i am absolutely gobsmacked that the Lions could have gone from a side that was complete tripe for several years, and even last year had one win up to the bye (admittedly finishing the season with some promising results, however still being 5-17.

To emerge this season as a side which is contending for the Flag and may well finish atop the table is the biggest turnaround in form since Collingwood in 1977, and the Lions themselves in 1999, who both went from wooden spooners to finals contenders, in the Pies case a Grand Finalist, the Lions beaten by the Premiers the Kangaroos in the PF. But each of these two sides were already finalists in previous seasons, both '76 and '98 were outliers of ineptitude in a period of finals appearances over a several year period. The Lions obviously winning three in a row from '01-03.

So to be frank i have no idea how or why the Lions are what they are now. Have they just been a side that got a few early wins, got a bit of confidence, got some other sides at good times or at home and have just got on a roll? They have beaten the Eagles of course in Rd 1, arguably catching them off guard a bit, and GWS plus Port away. But truly, i know they have Hipwood, McCluggage, Lyons the Suns off-cut who has become a ball magnet, but Stefan Martin has only ever been a standard ruck conveyance, Hodge i guess has marshaled the defence well, and they certainly have now got the measure of the Hawks, where Clarkson now has no answers to this amazing side.

But they now have two big tests, against sides that they have struggled against in the past (apart from the bloody out of the arse Miracle on grass game) and a one point win by the Cats at home in the last round a few years ago. Can Geelong be up for the fight and be prepared to do what is needed. Do they know enough about the Lions, who have just snuck up on everyone with precious little media and analysis on why they are doing so well. The Cats had all sorts of stuff in the media delving into why we started so well up to the bye and i'm sure plenty of sides have gone to school on Geelong, can the Cats and the Tigers do the same in the next two weeks?

One thing is for sure, the Tigers have an overwhelmingly great record over the Lions, 12 in a row since 2010, the first year of coaching by Hardwick. This is a massive game for Geelong, as the Lions are going to be top-4, and it's up there in Brisbane, in weather vastly different to the cold stuff Geelong has encountered for the last few weeks. Last night's game showed a lot more desperation and pressure for Geelong, holding the Kangas to just 14 points is pretty special, the only time in my memory of being a Cats fan where just one goal was kicked by an opponent. Crucially, Miers showed much more, Kelly got a fair bit of it, Gazza was in and under, and the addition of both Parfitt and Narkle gave Geelong much more speed around the ground, whereas last week we were treacle-like in our inability to put any defensive pressure on Fyfe, Hill and Walters.

I honestly don't know how we'll go, because i really haven't seen a lot of Lions games this year, they seem to be on in that twilight time often on Saturday arvos where i rarely see the games, and they don't seem to feature on Friday nights at all. But suffice to say, we need to be really up for it, an effort like the last 50 minutes of the Freo game will see us get smashed. But i remain hopeful that the side now has managed to re-set their radar a bit and knows that at 15-5, and a top-4 spot established, and a home final possibly beckons, they'll go in with full intent. But for me, i seriously just don't know enough about a side that has gone literally from boiled lollies to chocolates in less than a year. I've just about never seen a team do that before from garbage to excellence...the Lions have been terrible for several years since their last finals foray. Freo were 2-20 in '01 before making a Prelim in '03, but that's two seasons out. We'll find out anyway in the next two weeks.

Must win this to avoid traveling interstate in week 1 of finals (that can still happen if Richmond beats Brisbane but i wouldnt want to leave it to chance).

Blitz rucking was ok but we need a proper ruck vs Martin and O. Hendo was good but will probably be an unlucky omission. Narkle was better than i expected and will probably be tried again this week.

Assuming Rohan won’t be ready, I think it will be:

In: Stanley, O’Connor
Out: Henderson, Tuohy

We now know we have the Blicavs ruck option up our sleeve but there’s no point running him into the ground for the next two weeks. Give Stanley final crack at it.

Can’t see how we get Constable in. He doesn’t play high half forward like Menegola.

Constable for
Menegola - doesn't look fit, in fact looks slower than usual and when he went forward was almost a liability; Constable needs to be rewarded.

O'Connor for
Tuohy - If Tuohy's not attacking then IMO he's not best 22 because Bews and O'Connor are both better defenders.

I'm not dropping Henderson after two solid games in a row and going on last nights performance I think you have to go with Blitz/Sav for another week.

Need to hear the latest on the injury front to Rohan & Clark to see if they're a chance to play.

I do think Smith or Stanley will be back as the conditions should be dry in Brisbane. That means we'll drop a tall player and that most likely will be Henderson. It's tough on him cos he's been OK for the two games he played, but we can't go in too tall against Brisbane, and Blicavs is our best tall defender.

Narkle & Parfitt should stay in the team.

Menegola was pretty poor at times against Norf and he might be one who gets dropped to make way for other players. Can't see the MC dropping Tuohy or Bews myself. Guthrie had a poor night against Norf too, but I feel he's one of Scotty's favorites so unlikely to be dropped too unless they decide to give him a rest.

Krock had a few interviews post match last night including one with Miers - in that he admitted he was being considered for a rest/managed game.

It started last week against Freo where it was between him, Dahlhaus & a 3rd (maybe Atkins, didn't hear the name), and against Freo it was Dahlhaus who was managed.

Seems Miers was in line for this week until Rohan was injured & also Clark - the want to reduce team changes each week.

He was non-committal about being rested/managed this week and after a performance like last night, not sure it's needed.

But it will be interesting to see what the club does, because they are clearly talking to the players about these things while also being flexible with the decisions

We now know we have the Blicavs ruck option up our sleeve but there’s no point running him into the ground for the next two weeks. Give Stanley final crack at it.

Can’t see how we get Constable in. He doesn’t play high half forward like Menegola.

I dont think theyll drop Tuohy but those are the changes id make too.

I dont think theyll drop Tuohy but those are the changes id make too.
I’ve been defending Tuohy for a while but last night I reached my limit on it. He is there for his footskills and attack out of D50 and it’s just not working for him at the moment. He’s making too many uncharacteristic mistakes.

They may well persist with him, as that’s what they tend to do, but I can’t see the other change for O’Connor as Bews will be needed on Cameron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been defending Tuohy for a while but last night I reached my limit on it. He is there for his footskills and attack out of D50 and it’s just not working for him at the moment. He’s making too many uncharacteristic mistakes.

They may well persist with him, as that’s what they tend to do, but I can’t see the other change for O’Connor as Bews will be needed on Cameron.

I've thought Tuohy has been ordinary for quite a while, and the only way I'd consider retaining him is by moving him to the wing.

Tough one this week, but I would leave Blitz and Sav as rucks this week and bring in o'connor for Menagola, we need more output from Atkins but if Constable is to come in give Taylor another rest

Big clash. Testing material.

Team selection changes and challenges discussed here.
Please remove one poll option and edit another.

Geelong 40+ hahaha lol
Geelong 1-39 changed to Geelong by 1.

We need to lift about 3 gears to win this

Lions aren't the tallest side but they have pace and an ability to score so take out some of the slower players match them for pace and then hope we can win stoppages and clearances deny them the ball..

Hendo needs to stay in, proven in two games he is a better option down there. More assured, better intercept mark etc.

I'm not sure Stanley is an option at thmoment anyways ... and Blicavs may be a better option all over the ground in finals anyways.

We should be playing those in good/great form above just being a regular. Narkle is a prime example of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back