Preview Round 23, 2023: St.Kilda v Geelong - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 19th August, 7:25PM AEST *HIGGINS 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • Cats

Votes: 11 22.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If Stanley misses that is a massive loss for them as he often beats Marshall.

You'd think they'll bring in Hawkins as it's a must-win game for them.

It will be a huge challenge but I believe we can do it. Can't wait.

Also means de Koning has to ruck probably which means that Rata as a KPB, he looked exposed against Collingwood who's slippery forwards made him look lumbering.

So we all know the case against St Kilda on Saturday night.

So here's the case for:

• Our last month we've won three out of four. First three quarters against North was "dissolve the club" bad, then we turned it around, extracted the digit, and got the win. Then we beat Hawthorn kicking 19 goals, since that match Hawthorn have beaten Collingwood and the Doggies. Was 22 points up v Carlton, then lost. Carlton have now won eight straight, with three of those coming against the current top four. Beat Richmond comfortably.
  • We beat Geelong last year, we're better now and they are not.
  • Geelong struggling to find a fit ruckman, Marshall in good form for us.
  • Cooper Sharman to do to Tom Stewart what he did to James Sicily.
  • Geelong have long had a problem with quality small forwards and Jack Higgins is due.
  • Max King has threatened to rip apart Geelong a couple of times.
  • Mitch Owens. Just Mitch Owens.
  • Jimmy Webster on Tyson Stengele.

Saturday night, let's end the premiership defence. The most important home game for St Kilda probably since Round 21, 2008.

If Stanley misses that is a massive loss for them as he often beats Marshall.

You'd think they'll bring in Hawkins as it's a must-win game for them.

It will be a huge challenge but I believe we can do it. Can't wait.
Agree Stanley was listed with a hip injury I dont know how serious it was. Did he play out the game I didnt notice him going off?

The midfield is where it will be won or lost, our mids equalled the contest against the Tigers, but only Marshall had an outstanding game. Dangerfield had 9 clearances against the Pies, so some work will need to go into him. Duncan also had a day out against us in the last game so hopefully we have a plan to shut his affect down.

Rohan out will hurt them, but Hawkins and possibly Guthrie will return. They really miss Blicavs he is there most important player IMO.

I dont think our game yesterday against an under manned and spiralling Tigers was a real indication of a form turn around. What bothered me was we would take the angled kick to get into the corridor and unless it landed with Hill, Nas or Sinclair we would then go sideways back out to a wing and then a slow build up. Geelong will love seeing that as they will back themselves to get back and win the ball back in defence. We will need to play quicker more attacking footy to give our forwards a 1 on 1 chance and to separate their defenders. We did that for 1/2 the game yesterday but we will need to turn up for an entire 4 quarters against Geelong.

I agree with others in believing Billings would be a better sub than Clark, but I gather the coaches wanted to use Clark through the middle. They have De Koning, Ratogulea and Kolodjashnij as their tall defenders so that frees up Stewart etc. Do we bring back Caminiti to replace Sharman, now we have Membrey and King up and firing? Although Sharman has done a good shut role on Stewart in past games. Webster has been down on form in recent weeks so hopefully he can lift and get back to winning some footy.

It will be our biggest game for the year and a lot will need to go right for us. Im hoping for a win, but will not be surprised by a loss.

Last edited:
So we all know the case against St Kilda on Saturday night.

So here's the case for:

• Our last month we've won three out of four. First three quarters against North was "dissolve the club" bad, then we turned it around, extracted the digit, and got the win. Then we beat Hawthorn kicking 19 goals, since that match Hawthorn have beaten Collingwood and the Doggies. Was 22 points up v Carlton, then lost. Carlton have now won eight straight, with three of those coming against the current top four. Beat Richmond comfortably.
  • We beat Geelong last year, we're better now and they are not.
  • Geelong struggling to find a fit ruckman, Marshall in good form for us.
  • Cooper Sharman to do to Tom Stewart what he did to James Sicily.
  • Geelong have long had a problem with quality small forwards and Jack Higgins is due.
  • Max King has threatened to rip apart Geelong a couple of times.
  • Mitch Owens. Just Mitch Owens.
  • Jimmy Webster on Tyson Stengele.

Saturday night, let's end the premiership defence. The most important home game for St Kilda probably since Round 21, 2008.
Refreshing post!

King always does look likely against the Cats, even though the DeKoning match up is a good one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have always been competitve against Geelong at Marvel even when we were $hit.

Leave our forward line as is look at Collingwood only Mihocek & McStay as the talls, McCreary as the medium & all smalls they got them out the back many times this could be Buttlers big day out.

We have King as the tall & 3 mediums that play tall Membrey,Sharman & Mitchito.

I kind of figure the StKilda approach will be to play insipid footy against the Cat's , losing miserably.
Then, facing the almost impossible task of beating the Lions at home, they will play amazing footy, getting well in front, but losing by a few points in the end.

Would be just so StKilda.

I wonder if Sharman could be a good match up for Cameron ? He has the tank, can jump and spoil - not that Cameron is a high mark, etc.

Cameron would probably look at him, pick him up, smack his arse and deposit him behind the nearest gate. Stick him forward as Cats will likely pull from def if Rhys has that groin/hip complaint, as most of their VFL peeps are mids / HBF smalls types.

It's going to be tough to snag one of these last 2, but exciting to be in the mix.

I have done some basic probability analysis. Results are as follows:

1: Probability of losing both and making it (10%)
2: Probability of beating Cats (35%)
3: Probability of beating Lions (15%)

Throw all that in the blender and we are 50.27% chance of making finals.

Can you tell who is bored at work today?

Also means de Koning has to ruck probably which means that Rata as a KPB, he looked exposed against Collingwood who's slippery forwards made him look lumbering.

I would be very surprised if SDK does not line up on Max.

Last edited:
crying_cat_meme____by_gordonjugah_ddv75vl-fullview.png

Make it happen lads

Not totally unrealistic that we could make it with 12 wins. Would be a pretty lame way to do it though.
On my reckoning it would take Swans to beat the Crows and the Dogs to beat the Cats, and the winner of Ess v GWS to lose in the last round. Ess v Pies and GWS v Blues so that part is likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back