Preview Round 8, 2020: Sydney Swans v Hawthorn, 25 July 2020, 3.35pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see him take a couple of contested marks forward with maybe 2 goals to go with it.

Apart from McEvoy moving forward for half a quarter against GWS and strongly outmarking Davis, I can't really recall any games where our key forwards have been able to do this.

I couldn't care less about the bloke's age or background. If Brooksby's selection helps us win a game of footy then good luck to him.

agree -just want to see us win a game of footy

Lewis played exactly like Naughton last year. Even his numbers were pretty similar. He's lost that competitive spark this year.

Perhaps bringing in a 27 year old former number one draft pick coming back from a third ACL, and, playing said person ahead of him may have had some impact?

Perhaps bringing in a 27 year old former number one draft pick coming back from a third ACL, and, playing said person ahead of him may have had some impact?
Probably not, i would have thought the injuries would be a much more likely explanation for his drop in form.

Probably not, i would have thought the injuries would be a much more likely explanation for his drop in form.

I was responding to his clear lack of determination/aggressiveness this year.

Seriously, we had a really bright 20 year old key forward prospect, who at the time, many experts rated inside the top 6 or 7 young key forward talents in the game, and instead of giving him every bit of confidence, we took a flyer on a 27 year old sadly injury shot key position player and played him first...

We also selected a 29 year old ruckman who had never cemented himself in almost ten seasons over a 24 year old who was too good at VFL level, unknown at AFL, but we have since learned is infinitely better and more promising than the 29 year old.

Awful.

Last edited:
I was responding to his clear lack of determination/aggressiveness this year.

Seriously, we had a really bright 20 year old key forward prospect, who at the time, many experts rated inside the top 6 or 7 young key forward talents in the game, and instead of giving him every bit of confidence, we took a flyer on a 27 year old sadly injury shot key position played and played him first...

Awful.
Yes i know what you were responding to but he has had 4 injuries since the end of last year... A much more likely explanation for why he has lost that.

We had 2 key forwards on our list at an AFL level. A Tim O'brien who we were banking on maintaining his level to end last year and Mitchell Lewis a 20 year old that produced half a season of good promising footy.

We needed another key forward desperately in case they didn't develop or if one possibly got injured... Oh look Both have. Patton hasn't worked out as of yet and he may never but the logic makes total sense and can not be blamed for the lack of form from Hodgey so far this year.

Yes i know what you were responding to but he has had 4 injuries since the end of last year... A much more likely explanation for why he has lost that.

We had 2 key forwards on our list at an AFL level. A Tim O'brien who we were banking on maintaining his level to end last year and Mitchell Lewis a 20 year old that produced half a season of good promising footy.

We needed another key forward desperately in case they didn't develop or if one possibly got injured... Oh look Both have. Patton hasn't worked out as of yet and he may never but the logic makes total sense and can not be blamed for the lack of form from Hodgey so far this year.

I disagree mate. It can easily be interpreted as a lack of faith in Lewis bringing Patton in. Lewis is playing like he is shot on confidence, and that's fair to suggest injury in part, but also, it looks like a bloke unsure if he will get a game next week or not.

I am on record saying I don't think we go ahead with this trade if we hadn't committed to it before Lewis' end of season.

Lewis and Patton will never be able to play in the same side.

I disagree mate. It can easily be interpreted as a lack of faith in Lewis bringing Patton in. Lewis is playing like he is shot on confidence, and that's fair to suggest injury in part, but also, it looks like a bloke unsure if he will get a game next week or not.

I am on record saying I don't think we go ahead with this trade if we hadn't committed to it before Lewis' end of season.

Lewis and Patton will never be able to play in the same side.
But what we need more key forwards on the list? If bringing one in hurts his confidence that much he will never be the player i hope he will be.

Continuity is huge in footy, see how good Wingard was in the back end of last year once he got consistent games?

He doesn't look physically ready to dominate games yet and he still needs to improve in that area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If ML throws a tantrum and plays soft and unmotivated just because Patton gets played ahead of him (after having a limited pre-season and being injured, mind you) and doesn't view it as a challenge for him to overcome then I think we're winning anyway because that's pretty weak behaviour

But what we need more key forwards on the list? If bringing one in hurts his confidence that much he will never be the player i hope he will be.

Continuity is huge in footy, see how good Wingard was in the back end of last year once he got consistent games?

He doesn't look physically ready to dominate games yet and he still needs to improve in that area.

And that's not unreasonable, but given my view is we madly overestimated the list and need to push youth, you can see why I feel this way.

We had two great young talents last year, Lewis and Worpel. We didn't play Lewis as first choice and Worpel has gone to s**t.

And that's not unreasonable, but given my view is we madly overestimated the list and need to push youth, you can see why I feel this way.

We had two great young talents last year, Lewis and Worpel. We didn't play Lewis as first choice and Worpel has gone to sh*t.
Yeah mate but by that same logic you can see why we needed Patton. Imagine if Worpel was our first choice and only mid and he still went backwards. Can't just bank on young kids improving each year, it never happens.

Yeah mate but by that same logic you can see why we needed Patton. Imagine if Worpel was our first choice and only mid and he still went backwards. Can't just bank on young kids improving each year, it never happens.

Hmm... but banking on a bloke coming off a third ACL isn't the solution in that regard right? I think Patton was 100% brought in to be our key forward in a finals team. And that the development of Lewis was secondary... that's my issue, I'm extrapolating his form to that to be fair.

The same is true with why we allowed Pitto to walk and gave Cegs three years.

Hmm... but banking on a bloke coming off a third ACL isn't the solution in that regard right? I think Patton was 100% brought in to be our key forward in a finals team. And that the development of Lewis was secondary... that's my issue, I'm extrapolating his form to that to be fair.

The same is true with why we allowed Pitto to walk and gave Cegs three years.
We weren't banking on him and that is why it was fine, it gave us 3 key forwards on the list who can play if needed. We gave up next to nothing pick wise and had a ton of cap space we could use and maintain flexibility.

Who gives a toss about this season. Blood some kids and get a good pick and work on a game plan for 2021.

But **** I hate losing to the Cola Swans!!
I wish there was a way we could tank without trying to lose on purpose.

Clarko (hold my beer): As he keeps on playing under performing veterans. Someone needed to tell him that last year was the year to do this.

I wonder if Morrison will play on one of the Swans half backs as a defensive forward. Maybe Lloyd or Mills?
My daughter who is 9 is more defensive than Morrison and would give him a run for his money on the field. She will shirt front me in the corridor over a few missing strawberries! I cant see Morrison doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back