Traded Ryan Burton [traded with #15, #35 and future 4th for Wingard and future 3rd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn are ruthless. They have pushed out better and more important players than Ryan Burton before and will again for the betterment of success.

They don't care about bleating fans, they answer them with success.

No doubt in my mind Burton has significant maintenance issues going forward and Hawthorn are happy to move him on in a deal they see of benefit.
What are you getting at with “significant maintenance issues”

Look at the jizz induced by Rioli's 12 touch 2 goal games. Get Chad's head right and motivated, he'll win 3 Brownlows playing for the Great Clarko. The Herald Sun will be wondering where this kid came from.
No criticism of Wingard. Certainly a gun
But to give up a younger gun, plus a 1st Rd pick, plus more....

Put it this way. SPP was top 3/4 in that rising star year
Would you offer him and your 1st plus something else for, say, Shiel?
A player roughly the same age and talent.

In any regard it’s the wrong time to sell Burton. We all know about his first season which was fantastic and how his form dipped due to injury and perhaps confidence.

2019 is telling. He’s either a good ordinary player or he becomes one of the best at Hawthorn. I don’t think we’ll have to wait 3-4 years to find out if he can be elite, we’ll know next year. Silly to trade him now.
Agreed
He had a poor second year. But lots of players do. Enthusiasm is replaced with experience.
And burton has shown he has the talent

For all the ribbing we Essendon fans may give the hawks re: the rising star, Burton’s talent is unquestionable.
If you guys really need another pick to satisfy port, i’d gladly give up our 2019 1st for him

Pick 15 and SPP for Shiel? Where do I sign? Shiel is exactly the type of player Port needs. Is a proven gun (with probably less accolades than Wingard). Burton is still a kid who is not a gun midfielder and not a gun KPP. He's in that in between size where he is either a flanker/pocket or winger. He is not proven either. Neither is pick 15 by the way.

Wingard is proven and has as much talent as anybody in the AFL. According to all in sundry he's had a poor year, but still finished 6th in the Bnf. Attitude is Wingard's problem. And as much as I want to keep him, I get the feeling getting the best out of him will take a change of scenery. If anybody is going to get the best out of Wingard it will be Clarkson. I think Clarkson realises this as well. Burton could become a very good half back/Half Forward flanker, or just another dime a dozen one. Players of Wingard's talent don't come around that often.

Pick 15 and SPP for Shiel? Where do I sign? Shiel is exactly the type of player Port needs. Is a proven gun (with probably less accolades than Wingard). Burton is still a kid who is not a gun midfielder and not a gun KPP. He's in that in between size where he is either a flanker/pocket or winger. He is not proven either. Neither is pick 15 by the way.

Wingard is proven and has as much talent as anybody in the AFL. According to all in sundry he's had a poor year, but still finished 6th in the Bnf. Attitude is Wingard's problem. And as much as I want to keep him, I get the feeling getting the best out of him will take a change of scenery. If anybody is going to get the best out of Wingard it will be Clarkson. I think Clarkson realises this as well. Burton could become a very good half back/Half Forward flanker, or just another dime a dozen one. Players of Wingard's talent don't come around that often.
fair enough.
You'd be adding something else too for Shiel (Not sure what extra Port are looking for to get Wingard over the line, but whatever that is).

Im in a different camp.
Giving up picks for proven elite talent - yes. I was stoked with our hand last year, and will be very happy with Shiel this year as well. On top of adding Stewart the year before for not much coin at all (Pick 79 i think it was).

Had we had to give up any of Parish, McGrath, Langford, etc for any of those, it would have lessened the satisfaction.
But that's me.

Burton is a good get, along with 15 and whatever else the hawks give up.
Especially if Rankine comes in. With a little time, he'll replace Wingard. Kid looks special.

Makes no sense to me, I'd take burton over wingard. Wingard has the potential but a poor attitude, Burton has the potential and the positive attitude to go with it. Think hawks should have the upper hand in these negotiations but who actually knows until we see any official trades go through.

Agreed
He had a poor second year. But lots of players do. Enthusiasm is replaced with experience.
And burton has shown he has the talent

Yes Wingard seemed to lose motivation but Clarko will change that.
Unfortunately I can see him doing well at Hawthorn.

Yes Wingard seemed to lose motivation but Clarko will change that.
Unfortunately I can see him doing well at Hawthorn.

Wingard will do great but I don’t know, the price just seems too high. Wait till next year and get him for nothing. Have to spend big to win big, but I don’t know if using a future potential champion is the way to go about it.

It also potentially sends a message to the other players. Burton hasn’t put a foot wrong and is still being traded out; I don’t know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very surprised they’re willing to move him on.

Looks like if he moves it’s to Port, but I’d love for Carlton to get involved here and land Burton if we can.

Future first well and truly on the table.
A Carlton friend of mine was saying exactly the same thing. Not sure why hawks wouldn’t deal with button seperately considering how port are dicking around about it. He actually fits Carlton a lot better than port imo.

That is a seriously naive response
Jaeger cost picks. that's ok. Enough of a gun to step out of some drafts early. Whether they bites or not depends on just how good he can be and what those drafts were like. Landing Mitchell for peanuts softens that blow too.

Silk was much the same.

Burton is the kid you want your top 10 pick to come out like. Some 2nd year blues in 2018, but his 2017 was excellent.
If it was Burton for Wingard, i'd say know. Burton and your 1st is WTF territory.
That Port want that improved on is staggering.

Seems a change in tact from giving up picks for the player you want to sacrificing a promising young talent to land a very talented, albeit hot and cold, player.
Smacks a bit of trying to keep a narrow window opening there, when letting it shut for a short period before reopening it is the tried and true method of success.
Valid point re-Burton .
See, with Sicily, hardwick, Morrison, Worpel hawthorn had a very good nuclear of players to push for glory in the next 6-8 years! Add Burton to that mix and that’s 5 solid younger players to build around but, Clarkson wants silverware in the next 2-4 years and seems hellbent on getting it!
I for one don’t wanna lose any of those youngsters I listed but it’s obviously not my call. I know port supporters think some of us are been unreasonable but I wouldn’t trade Burton out with pick 15 on top of that.

Wingard will do great but I don’t know, the price just seems too high. Wait till next year and get him for nothing. Have to spend big to win big, but I don’t know if using a future potential champion is the way to go about it.

It also potentially sends a message to the other players. Burton hasn’t put a foot wrong and is still being traded out; I don’t know.

If Port don't accept 15 and Burton there basically nuts.

Without a second thought.

Burton will be at Port next year and deal is done according to a close family member of his
Remember reading last week when you confirmed Essendon were out of the race for Shiel. Forgive my scepticism this time round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back