Opinion Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

It was McGuane's spot at the end of 2012 with him outperforming Astbury in that final game - assuming Ty is a lock and will push one of Mcg and Ast out, Astbury, Azza or Knights need to come up and knock McG out of that spot through training and NAB performances - as all of them are up and running it will be interesting viewing.

i think Knights should be right as he's a HHF/Mid player, but the A.Edwards/Astbury/McGuane battle will be interesting and the player to take that position may well change as the year goes on.

Anyone thought that neither Astbury or McGaune will get a gig round 1, Griffiths was playing in the backline last year but now with Chaplin, We have Grimes, Chaplin and Rance all as KPD, Vickery and Riewoldt will be our KPF with Griffiths starting forward but can move back incase of injury.

Anyone thought that neither Astbury or McGaune will get a gig round 1, Griffiths was playing in the backline last year but now with Chaplin, We have Grimes, Chaplin and Rance all as KPD, Vickery and Riewoldt will be our KPF with Griffiths starting forward but can move back incase of injury.

has Griff been training with the fwd group?
i am thinking foley won't be ready by rd 1, perhaps Lonergan can take his place till he's ready? we won't need to rush him back as we have cover

This will probably spark a fierce backlash, but does any one else think McGuane may suprise a few this season and potentially earn a rd1 spot? With Ty back in the side he would get an even lesser quality opponent than last season when he managed to hit the score board fairly well.

I know he isnt liked or rated by most, but could our fwd line look like this? Maybe just maybe???

HF Dusty McG Titch
FF Ty Jack King

Now I am not saying that this is my choice as I had barely given him a thought, but he did perform pretty well considering and will now have another pre season training as a fwd and will have superior support up forward.

Dont attack me, I am not drunk, I am not over tired, just seeing if anyone out there has wondered the same?

Any non constructive responses will be deleted, so keep it on topic ya'll.

ive rewatched the season on foxtel and the games macca played he did ok. the problem is he does everything half well. he can take a grab and kick goals but then inexplicably stuff it up. if he didnt do that then he would still be around the top22.

So I had a little realization this morning, had we kicked 4 strategically placed goals this season, we would have had 14 wins and 7th or 8th place sewn up, ceteris paribus. 1 more against Carlton, 1 more against Nth Melb, 1 more against Port, 1 more against GC - 4 more wins. It's insane how close we were to finals this year. Having watched many of our matches again in the off season it's fair to say that most of the season we played like a team somewhere around the 6 - 9 mark. We were clearly a rung above teams like Brisbane, Port, even Essendon later in the year, on par with teams like Nth Melb, St Kilda and Carlton, and arguably matched it with Geelong, Sydney, Adelaide and Hawthorn. The only teams we were clearly a rung behind IMO are Collingwood and West Coast. We performed on the whole like a top 8 team this year, however, some very small things fell against us and we were completely crucified. 4 more goals and all other things equal, we would have been travelling to Perth for an elimination final against the Eagles. Which wouldn't have ended well but y'know... Point is, some minor improvement across the board, and none too drastic improvement from other teams around/below us, we should be in the 8 this year. If we improve again in 2013 as much as we did in 2012 then don't be surprised if we nudge the top 4 at stages throughout the year, if the injury gods smile on us. Not saying we're going to win the flag or anything but I think 2013 will be a good year for Richmond - the first of many.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Griff stays down back it seems, for now anyway.

Does anyone else agree/think, that our back 6 is far too top heavy with all of Griff, Chap, Grimes and Rance?
It may be tall but Griff and Grimes are both really quick - so no not top heavy. Will be interesting to see how it works.

Although maybe they are thinking of having Grimes and Griff do swapsies in and out to try and nurse those legs through?

It may be tall but Griff and Grimes are both really quick - so no not top heavy. Will be interesting to see how it works.

Although maybe they are thinking of having Grimes and Griff do swapsies in and out to try and nurse those legs through?

True, but are they explosive enough to go with smaller opposition?

Also another good point, maybe one is insurance for the other???

Does anyone else agree/think, that our back 6 is far too top heavy with all of Griff, Chap, Grimes and Rance?

I've been saying this all pre-season. I think our defence is too big and our 22 for that matter. That's why I can't see us playing a third tall, maybe Griff will rotate depending on oppositions set up.

Rance can play on smalls...but can he play well on smalls?
Doesn't keep his feet far too often for my liking.
A shorter player can run rings around him.
Quality footballer, but just my opinion.

if anything he only loses his feet wrestling with the gorillas so the smalls he should be able to handle.

nope .. Grimes & Rance are both lightning quick and are only 193cm & 194cm perfect to play on tall or small .. both have been asked to punch above their weight for the past 3 seasons

amd the reality is Grimes is injury plagued, so they need to develop other tall backman as well

I get the feeling that Dimma's going to pull something out of the hat when it comes to the backline. We just seem to be spoiled for choice in that area. When all are fit. Not all that long ago L. McG was a definite starter in our back 6. These days he'd have no chance of getting back there. WOW ! (not a slag off at Luke, Just great to see the team improving)

Sorry if this has been done before but I couldn't help notice some similarities between our 2012 season and Geelong's 2006 season. I know there are different elements now (expansion teams, tighter competition around the 8) but I have a good feeling about list heading into 2013. I'm NOT saying we are flag bound this year but 2014 onwards is looking good. Anybody who is good at list analysis care to comment?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Geelong_Football_Club_season#Player_list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back