Preview Season 2018 Preview - Us, And The Rest

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide: Gibbs could be the pick up of the off season. Could free up Sloane from a tag, and Sloane/Gibbs/Crouch x2 is a good midfield. Cameron was overrated, and their forward line is a strength. Lever was good, but plays in a position which was a luxury. Brodie Smith is the big loss. PREDICTION 1-4

Brisbane: Should be better with the addition of Hodge and another year into their talls. Still lack midfield depth, so should be aiming to grab an extra few wins. PREDICTION: 12-16

Carlton: Lost 2 of their best 4 players. GONE. Prediction 17-18

Collingwood: Can't see where the improvement comes from. Midfield is too vanilla, sending their best forward to CHB, and their next best forward is perenialy injured. Prediction 12-16

Essendon: Smith is a decent pick up. Saad also good. Stringer an unknown, just as likely to win the Brownlow as go off the rails and be sacked. They have horrible inside mid stocks though, so they'll coast through the season and then get smashed in finals. The antithesis of a finals team. Will win enough games at Etihad with a flashy style and Daniher kicking bags to finish top 4 though. PREDICTION: 3-6

Fremantle: Stuck in no mans land. Johnson and Sandilands are done. Mundy not far off. No forward line either. PREDICTION: 12-16

Geelong: Added Ablett Jnr, but he will probably only play 14 games. Play enough home to ensure a top 6 finish, but Hawkins up forward alone isn't enough to win a flag. PREDICTION: 1-6

Gold Coast: Losing Ablett will help them and will allow Lunch and May to mould the team. They are stronger leaders than Ablett, and if they can improve the culture with Dew we may see them improve quickly. Martin, Swallow, Ainsworth etc etc could still be a top 6 midfield, and Lynch and Wright could be the best forward duo in the league. Witts is a competent ruck, and Thompson and May down back completes a potentially brilliant spine. Need Ainsworth etc to become good players quickly. PREDICTION: 10-16

GWS: Mumford the only real loss, but I see that enabling them to improve their structure with Lobb as the ruck, and Patton playing forward/ruck. If they get a good run with injuries could go all the way. PREDICTION: 1-4

Hawthorn: Can't see how people think they'll improve. Roughy, Birchall, Burgoyne, Stratton, Frawley etc all basically at the cliff waiting to fall off. O'meara, even if his knee comes good, can't be expected to make up that loss. PREDICTION: 9-12

Melbourne: Lever is a good pick up, and having Hogan the whole year will help. If their heads are in the right place they should make the 8. PREDICTION: 6-10

North Melbourne: Rebuilding hard. Gone. Done. PREDICTION: 17-18

Port Adelaide: Refreshed the list, but many unknowns. Along with us the hardest list to rate. PREDICTION 5-8

Richmond: Should be around the mark, but cant expect to have such a good season from Martin or such a good injury run. PREDICTION: 3-6

St Kilda: Such a vanilla list, and losing Reiwoldt and Montagna hurts. Will take a fair few young players stepping up to make the 8. PREDICTION: 9-12

Sydney: Should be prominent again. If Reid stays on the park, and Grundy stays in form then they will be dangerous. PREDICTION: 3-7

West Coast: Lost some experience, especially around the ball. Kennedy with old man injuries and flying from Perth once a fortnight could spell trouble. NicNat coming off a knee won't improve them THAT much. PREDICTION: 9-14

Bulldogs: So hard to judge. Will need two of Redpath, Toyd, Dickson or Schache kicking 40 to finish top 4. A better run with injuries should help reach the top 8 though. PREDICTION: 6-10

Overall:

Adelaide
GWS
Richmond
Geelong
Sydney
Essendon
WB
Melb

Port
WC
St Kilda
Hawks
GC
Collingwood
Brisbane
Freo
North
Carlton

Adelaide: Gibbs could be the pick up of the off season. Could free up Sloane from a tag, and Sloane/Gibbs/Crouch x2 is a good midfield. Cameron was overrated, and their forward line is a strength. Lever was good, but plays in a position which was a luxury. Brodie Smith is the big loss. PREDICTION 1-4

Brisbane: Should be better with the addition of Hodge and another year into their talls. Still lack midfield depth, so should be aiming to grab an extra few wins. PREDICTION: 12-16

Collingwood: Can't see where the improvement comes from. Midfield is too vanilla, sending their best forward to CHB, and their next best forward is perenialy injured. Prediction 12-16

Essendon: Smith is a decent pick up. Saad also good. Stringer an unknown, just as likely to win the Brownlow as go off the rails and be sacked. They have horrible inside mid stocks though, so they'll coast through the season and then get smashed in finals. The antithesis of a finals team. Will win enough games at Etihad with a flashy style and Daniher kicking bags to finish top 4 though. PREDICTION: 3-6

Fremantle: Stuck in no mans land. Johnson and Sandilands are done. Mundy not far off. No forward line either. PREDICTION: 12-16

Geelong: Added Ablett Jnr, but he will probably only play 14 games. Play enough home to ensure a top 6 finish, but Hawkins up forward alone isn't enough to win a flag. PREDICTION: 1-6

Gold Coast: Losing Ablett will help them and will allow Lunch and May to mould the team. They are stronger leaders than Ablett, and if they can improve the culture with Dew we may see them improve quickly. Martin, Swallow, Ainsworth etc etc could still be a top 6 midfield, and Lynch and Wright could be the best forward duo in the league. Witts is a competent ruck, and Thompson and May down back completes a potentially brilliant spine. Need Ainsworth etc to become good players quickly. PREDICTION: 10-16

GWS: Mumford the only real loss, but I see that enabling them to improve their structure with Lobb as the ruck, and Patton playing forward/ruck. If they get a good run with injuries could go all the way. PREDICTION: 1-4

Hawthorn: Can't see how people think they'll improve. Roughy, Birchall, Burgoyne, Stratton, Frawley etc all basically at the cliff waiting to fall off. O'meara, even if his knee comes good, can't be expected to make up that loss. PREDICTION: 9-12

Melbourne: Lever is a good pick up, and having Hogan the whole year will help. If their heads are in the right place they should make the 8. PREDICTION: 6-10

Port Adelaide: Refreshed the list, but many unknowns. Along with us the hardest list to rate. PREDICTION 5-8

Richmond: Should be around the mark, but cant expect to have such a good season from Martin or such a good injury run. PREDICTION: 3-6

St Kilda: Such a vanilla list, and losing Reiwoldt and Montagna hurts. Will take a fair few young players stepping up to make the 8. PREDICTION: 9-12

Sydney: Should be prominent again. If Reid stays on the park, and Grundy stays in form then they will be dangerous. PREDICTION: 3-7

West Coast: Lost some experience, especially around the ball. Kennedy with old man injuries and flying from Perth once a fortnight could spell trouble. NicNat coming off a knee won't improve them THAT much. PREDICTION: 9-14

Bulldogs: So hard to judge. Will need two of Redpath, Toyd, Dickson or Schache kicking 40 to finish top 4. A better run with injuries should help reach the top 8 though. PREDICTION: 6-10

Overall:

Adelaide
GWS
Richmond
Geelong
Sydney
Essendon
WB
Melb

Port
WC
St Kilda
Hawks
GC
Collingwood
Brisbane
Freo
North
Carlton
Nailed it mate.

Nice thread.

I won’t do all teams as I don’t have a strong opinion on every one, but I’d guess the following:

Essendon - will spank a few teams but no real grunt in the midfield. Won’t go anywhere in September.

Adelaide - Too much talent to completely drop but a couple of injuries and a dodgy start, Sloane looking unsettled and they could easily falll off.

Collingwood - I’m bullish about them if they can stay healthy. Midfield is good, defence ok, just need some scoring power.

GWS - They’ll either steamroller everyone or drop off. Can’t see a middling season for them. Let’s hope for a drop off and every other club feasts on the carcass.

Melbourne - Finals unless injuries set in, bullish about them too.

Geelong - Lock for top four. And for another PF exit. Too little depth.

Dogs - Hopeful of finals but difficult to see where the goals will come from. If we can sneak into finals would back another epic run because there aren’t many finals tested teams. We’ll see......

Gold Coast - Abysmal. Bottom two, Lynch gone and discussion of the whole thing being a failure.

Saints - Miss finals again, who are their good players really? Another rebuild coming methinks.

I'm not understanding the argument of where will our goals come from. The answer will be from everyone because that's how we play. That's why we have been working on how we bring the ball in and how to score from there. No shortage of getting the ball in there last year, so finishing will be the key this year.

Everyone gets a go because that's what flexibility and loads of tall and small mobile mid fielder types does for you!

Overall:

Adelaide
GWS
Richmond
Geelong
Sydney
Essendon
WB
Melb

Port
WC
St Kilda
Hawks
GC
Collingwood
Brisbane
Freo
North
Carlton

Bailey Dale and Tory Dickson (if he stays fit) will kick 40+.

I'm not understanding the argument of where will our goals come from.
Top Ten Goal Kickers 2017 (Ladder)

1- Adelaide 302 goals
2- Essendon 262 goals
3- Richmond 254 goals
4- Geelong 251 goals
5- Sydney 249 goals
6- GWS 248 goals
7- Port Adelaide 245 goals
8- West Coast 244 goals
9- Melbourne 221 goals
10- St Kilda 203 goals
11- Hawthorn 200 goals
12- North Melbourne 200 goals
13- Gold Coast 192 goals
14- Collingwood 185 goals
15- Brisbane 183 goals
16- Carlton 168 goals
17- Western Bulldogs 166 goals
18- Fremantle 163 goals

Woo Hoo we beat Fremantle !

2016 the top ten kicked 217 Goals, since 1965 we have
had 31 seasons where our top ten goal kickers kicked
more goals and many were non finals seasons.
1985 Bulldogs 357 goals.
2008 Bulldogs 321 goals.
1992 Bulldogs 319 goals.
1998 Bulldogs 286 goals.
1999 Bulldogs 286 goals.
2009 Bulldogs 284 goals.
Oh for a defensive minded coach and a fuller trophy cabinet.

Last edited:
Top Ten Goal Kickers 2017 (Ladder)

1- Adelaide 302 goals
2- Essendon 262 goals
3- Richmond 254 goals
4- Geelong 251 goals
5- Sydney 249 goals
6- GWS 248 goals
7- Port Adelaide 245 goals
8- West Coast 244 goals
9- Melbourne 221 goals
10- St Kilda 203 goals
11- Hawthorn 200 goals
12- North Melbourne 200 goals
13- Gold Coast 192 goals
14- Collingwood 185 goals
15- Brisbane 183 goals
16- Carlton 168 goals
17- Western Bulldogs 166 goals
18- Fremantle 163 goals

Woo Hoo we beat Fremantle !

2016 the top ten kicked 217 Goals, since 1965 we have
had 31 seasons where our top ten goal kickers kicked
more goals and many were non finals seasons.
1985 Bulldogs 357 goals.
2008 Bulldogs 321 goals.
1992 Bulldogs 319 goals.
1998 Bulldogs 286 goals.
1999 Bulldogs 286 goals.
2009 Bulldogs 284 goals.
Oh for a defensive minded coach and a fuller trophy cabinet.

Wow 166 goals from a reigning premier is embarrassing no matter what way you look at it.

And the question is how do we improve with 30 odd goals gone(Stringer)

Wow 166 goals from a reigning premier is embarrassing no matter what way you look at it.

It was 217 in our premiership year MD, and dropped to 166
in 2017. I have charted the premier from 1990 on wards and
it is an interesting study in determining the best premier or
most dominant performances. The whole argument in regard
to points for versus points conceded is fascinating as both
methods have very similar success rates.

The last two seasons premiers Richmond 254 and of course
the Bulldogs 217 rank in the defensive end of the premier
rankings at 20 and 23 respectively. The top two ranked
premiers were Hawthorn 1991 with 374 goals and Essendon
2000 with 373 goals.

2017- Richmond: for 1,992 , against 1,684, % = 118.29, points 60
2016- Bulldogs: for 1,857 , against 1,609, % = 115.41, points 60
2005- Sydney: for 1,974 , against 1,696, % = 116.39, points 60
The only three premiers to score less than 2,000 points for since
1990 and the only three to finish on 60 points since 1990.
Spooky coincidence, maybe not.

It is but had Stringer actually kicked 30 goals particulary 6 more in games we just lost we would have made the finals

How we being the ball into the forward line as well as pressure apploed in there will determine how own scoring improves more than any other measure. Individually we have enough players to share the load we just need to get it in and keep it in there better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it stunning that so many are negative about our chances. We have 20 premiership players on our list ffs.

Granted last year was disappointing but we had a side that was physically underdone from the outset and all sorts of problems with off field distractions, an unsettled lineup and players that got ahead of themselves.

If the core of our side can get itself in peak condition and the players are in the right frame of mind I’d expect us to be around top four. A few injuries and patchy form from a few, I’d expect 6-8. I think more would have to go wrong than last year for us to miss - most of the side is young and should improve.

I find it stunning that so many are negative about our chances. We have 20 premiership players on our list ffs.

Granted last year was disappointing but we had a side that was physically underdone from the outset and all sorts of problems with off field distractions, an unsettled lineup and players that got ahead of themselves.

If the core of our side can get itself in peak condition and the players are in the right frame of mind I’d expect us to be around top four. A few injuries and patchy form from a few, I’d expect 6-8. I think more would have to go wrong than last year for us to miss - most of the side is young and should improve.
Agree with most of this post though 3rd to 6th is where I have us finishing

Could not care less about anyone else

If we have a tweak in game plan we can make the 8

Same plan as last year I firmly believe we will finish bottom 4-5

I think they’ve got some issues to be honest. They’ve lost a few and for a side that bombed out week one they have a worrying number of their players 28+.
I think it is media driven and the biggest assumption is that their ins are better than everybody else's and that their list will improve more than other teams to make the leap from 8th.

Adelaide - Agree there could be some mental scars from that GF loss and a lot of their better players aren’t getting any younger. Think a lot are underestimating how big a loss Lever and Cameron will be. Still you’d they’d win enough at home and I think they’ll finish 3rd-5th

Brisbane - should improve, I think they’d be disappointed if they didn’t crawl out of the bottom 4. 13th-15th for mine.

Carlton - it’ll be a step back to go a few steps forward from 2019. They’ll finish in the bottom 3.

Collingwood - who knows? A bit of a wildcard. 7th-8th at best but probably just missing the 8.

Essendon - still don’t think they’ve addressed their weaknesses at all. Will play exciting footy and pulverize the teams they should but will get found out in September. 6th-8th.

Freo - could go better what most think and honestly wouldn’t be shocked if they snuck into the 8. Have them in the same category as Collingwood.

Geelong - could be great but could really fall away if things don’t go to plan with their guns. Assuming all goes well then they’ll make the top 4.

Gold Coast - yeah looks rough. Bottom 2-3.

GWS - clear favorites right now and I think they’ll finish on top.

Hawthorn - getting a little underrated at the moment with some key ins to come back. Clarko will have more competive and can sneak back into the 8 with a good run.

Melbourne - good list but yeah still think it’s getting a little overrated at the moment. I think they’ll finish 7th-9th

North - they look the wooden spoon favorites.

Port - recruited a lot of downhill skiers but it’s still a very reasonable list and you’d think it would payoff somewhat. Possibly sneak into top 4 but should be a lock for the top 8.

Richmond - should be somewhere around in the top 6. Could really fluctuate where.

St Kilda - Gearing up for a big crack at FA post this season. In that 10th-14th clump

Sydney - rating them similarly to Richmond, possibly a little higher if their guns fire.

West Coast - Think they’ll struggle this year with a few big losses. A lot relies on their top end now. Can’t see them making the 8.

Bulldogs - putting us in a half Port/ half Sydney bracket. If we can some respite from the injuries it’s a pretty soft draw on a whole. Top 4 possible but a lot of unknowns.

If all goes according to plan (which is pretty well impossible) this is how I think this is how the ladder will end up (also very likely to be well off the mark)

GWS
Geelong
Adelaide
Bulldogs
Sydney
Richmond
Port
Essendon

Melbourne
Hawthorn
Fremantle
Collingwood
St Kilda
West Coast
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Carlton
North Melbourne

I'm not understanding the argument of where will our goals come from. The answer will be from everyone because that's how we play. That's why we have been working on how we bring the ball in and how to score from there. No shortage of getting the ball in there last year, so finishing will be the key this year.

Everyone gets a go because that's what flexibility and loads of tall and small mobile mid fielder types does for you!

Probably because we only have one notable goalkicker on the list. It's a concern.

I predict the Essendon have had too many Paddle Pop Lions over the summer and will be nowhere near top 4 (remember we beat these clowns last year and we were playing crap)!
I predict GWS will still run out of beer at half time at Spotless but it wont matter to us as we are playing a home Prelim and then winning the GF again.
I predict i dont care about the rest!

The midfield is the biggest strength and we can expect a rotation in the forward line to go give us an even spread of goal kickers getting back to our pressure game. The likes of Dale, CD, Dunkley, Cordy, McLean and Young are set to go up another level. Libba looks set to have a big season and looks to bevback to his gut run fitness. McRae, Bont and Hunter will be tough to stop in 2018. Going by Dale’s form towards the end of last year, I think he will be the most improved and poll well in B&F votes. Wallis can also have a big year coming of uninterrupted season- can go forward and take a mark too! I only see positive trends mainly due the talent in our youth department that look prime to break out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good effort Leon

Even comp and injuries especially means we are all guessing and have NFI. But pretty different to you in some areas.

i usually bracket teams in sixes

Syd, Adel, Port, GWS, Geel, Melb

WB, Rich, Ess, Coll, GC, StK

WC, Carl, Bris, Norf, Hawks, Freo

So I see Wc slumping hugely. Priddis and Mitchell irreplaceable. Hawks @ 13th just squeeze in to bottom 6 mainly because i think Clarko tanks.

Tiges may slump and may even miss the 8. As we've seen, intensity based gameplans are hard to back up again. Also Tiges had no injuries last yr.

Ess may be overrated - harder draw and no big bodied inside mids has a massive ? over them for me.

Dees and Port are the bolters for mine. They are primed. Port getting Rockliff is huge for them. Dees essentially add 2 of the comp's best young kps in Hogan and Lever to a list that should have made finals last yr. Look out.

Dogs need a good run with injury and for Boyd and Schache to work. Its almost that simple. Could scrape into the 8.

My concern is that we will win enough games but we won't kick high enough scores to bury the weaker teams and our percentage might keep us out. If we make finals we know we can give it a shake

Remove this Banner Ad

Back