Analysis Second option at kick-ins?

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if we could just do the same strategy but kick to the advantage side of the pack for our talls rather than theirs I would be happy.

It seems like we constantly kick to the corridor side right to an opposition defender.
This is the problem with it. Its not that its predictable, or a bad tactic. Its that our implementation of the tactic is just absolutely terrible.

Our forwards are set up boundary side of the contest. And then we have McKenzie and Dan Houston kicking the ball in corridor side. Perfectly set up for Dixon, Ladhams and Marshall to be blocked out from the fall of the ball and Freo to get a repeat entry.

Or we set up wide, and then for some stupid reason decide its time to go for a long bomb right down the middle where we have no players.

Port Adelaide's kick in strategy is so safe and predictable. Furthermore I'd like to see a breakdown of what players actually take the kick ins as I don't think we are using our elite kicks like Houston or Burton.
Yes sometimes you have to kick to a pack/contest but we need to mix it up so the opposition at least second guess as to what our strategy is.
Why not try and maintain possession instead of kicking to a pack contest or at least use the leg of Mackenzie to gain distance for which there was a minor change against Fremantle when he kicked more central that to the half back flank.

I reckon Jonas is doing ok. You lot need to stop being s**t coaches. I'm sure all your ideas would f up. We're 5th. Jesus.

You all want a mind cannon? We currently lead the league for scores from kick ins as well.

Just imagine how damaging we could be as a team if we actually, you know, mixed it up once in a blue moon.

Do they keep stats on how often the opposition get an instant inside 50 (or even another score) following a kick in? It would be interesting where we sat on that sort of measure.

Our kick ins stink, there is no imagination, nothing to break the trend, nothing to create the unexpected it is a typical hinkley safe ball no nonsense load of garbage. The team started up against Freemantle with Charlie in the ruck (totally unexpected then changed back to Ladhams) all of a sudden we have three goals on the board then we go back to the defensive garbage that has become the trade mark of hinkley completely predictable and easy to read and play against. Thats why the half decent coaches and team can make hinkley look stupid.
I hate to keep saying this as a coach hinkley is a bloody non entity its disgraceful that he is still there and even more disgraceful that this guy on the MILLIONS of dollars that he is on cant use his imagination he is to arrogant wont budge and do something different. It is sickening to watch imo.

I agree our kick in strategy is predictable. But I haven't seen many teams execute a kick in style that is significantly more effective or ground breakingly different (short of the very slow build up that teams like Collingwood do), which works against us as teams will set up huge defensive blocks and take away our strengths.

What team are we looking to emulate?

Is it the predictability of the kick in or is it that we don't set up properly for the drop of the ball? Its like we don't understand our own strategy.
If there's going to be loose players at the back of the pack then our players forward of the ball need to wake up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back