Prediction Semi Final: Changes Vs Collingwood (We survived to round 2!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Listened to SportFM on the way home after lunch replaying some footy talkback show from Melbourne.
They were carrying on as if Collingwood had won last week against Geelong and how magnificent they were. And Freo, who are they?
Can't wait to hear what they have to say after Saturday!

Where are we all watching the final for this one? Best place in Freo to watch it?

this has the feel of the week leading up to the 2012 EF. Melbourne footy media are so ignorant about our list that they don’t realise how young our team is compared to Collingwood.
I haven't seen it that way listening to the Fox crew. I think they have mentioned how young our list is.
I listened to Nathan Buckley, who usually I am no fan of, on radio last week. He was really into giving our young players praise for how far they have progressed. He was very up front about our youth.
Maybe strange, but just as I have seen it.
I think that our win against the Dogs made the Melbourne based media sit up and take notice.

Last edited:
It has been a number of years since the aroma of moth balls hasn't permeated the Fremantle area at this time of the year.
We have progressed one week into September, smelling the flowers rather than moth balls.
A chance to advance another week into finals. A difficult task playing the Pies on their own dung hill. A dung hill that as a Fremantle supporter, I would dearly love to see my Purple team playing on in the last week of September.
A place we seldom get to play at.
But …
See more
May be an image of text that says 'EST. 1994 நੰ FREMANTLE DOCKERS'

I haven't seen it hat way listening to the Fox crew. I think they have mentioned how young our list is.
I listened to Nathan Buckley, who usually I am no fan of, on radio last week. He was really into giving our young players praise for how far they have progressed. He was very up front about our youth.
I think that our win against the Dogs made the Melbourne based media sit up and take notice.
not talking about Fox (but still patchy there, let‘s be real), it‘s the talk back radio shows.

You said MEDIA. Fox is part of the media.
Buckleys assessment was on radio... also media.
Your point being? Fox commentators, who should be watching our games because it’s their job still struggle to name our players in game. Buckley is part of media, but guess what, he’s not been out of the game that long and if a former head coach is clueless about his opposition, then he’s not worth his salt.

as someone living outside a footy state, I try to keep abreast by listening to podcasts - and apart from the WA based stations, we barely rate a mention. And when we do get spoken about, the AFL sport journos always preface with “I haven’t really watch a lot of Freo games..”

they‘re only talking about us now because we’re one of six teams left, and even then a lot of the rhetoric is around Freo just being a stepping stone for magical collingwood’s miracle 2022 run.

Your point being? Fox commentators, who should be watching our games because it’s their job still struggle to name our players in game. Buckley is part of media, but guess what, he’s not been out of the game that long and if a former head coach is clueless about his opposition, then he’s not worth his salt.

as someone living outside a footy state, I try to keep abreast by listening to podcasts - and apart from the WA based stations, we barely rate a mention. And when we do get spoken about, the AFL sport journos always preface with “I haven’t really watch a lot of Freo games..”

they‘re only talking about us now because we’re one of six teams left, and even then a lot of the rhetoric is around Freo just being a stepping stone for magical collingwood’s miracle 2022 run.
I don‘t really know what you’re referring to. I, too, am outside core footy markets, but I’ve been relying on Fox footy for 15-20 years and I’ve never found them to be lacking in knowledge about Freo. They don’t tend to be overly Vic-focused - Gerard Healy, a Fox veteran, played for a non-Vic club and has always spruiked Fremantle. It‘s a lesser thing, but Kath chairs their main post-game show and certainly serves to keep them honest. It’s an 18-team comp - I think I prefer this coverage to the parochial drivel in the West Oz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they drop Driz who is the 3rd winger? Somebody has to play at least 20% of the game on the wing (in reality much higher) while one or other of the first two wingers is resting. Colyer and Henry aren't in the side. I can't seem them suddenly deciding in a final that this is good time to play Clark or Mundy on the wing for the first time in the season. It would also reduce our flexibility in that Aish would no longer be available to tag or otherwise run on ball without pushing someone else into a role they haven't trained for this year.

Just saying that’s the vibe I get, didn’t say I’d do it.

See what happens

Ross Lyon just bullishly tipped freo to win on footy classified and Sam McClure reacted with as much incredulity as if Elvis had just risen from the dead and walked into the studio there and then.
Llordo think the pies will win easily

At the end of the day it doesn't matter who tips who to win. All that matters is the result come game day.

Ross Lyon just bullishly tipped freo to win on footy classified and Sam McClure reacted with as much incredulity as if Elvis had just risen from the dead and walked into the studio there and then.
Llordo think the pies will win easily
I love how none of the panellists can stand Sam McClure and make no effort to hide it.

I haven't seen it that way listening to the Fox crew. I think they have mentioned how young our list is.
I live in Melbourne and can confirm we are about as off broadway as any team in the AFL. The vast majority of the media over here barely watch us ever.
Bucks is a pleasantly surprising exception. Fox footy are a little different as they are forced to watch us on Saturday lunchtimes and Sunday evenings. People like Dwayne Russell, Jason Dunstall and David king (despite his negative view of freo) actually have to watch us.
But the primary broadcaster - channel 7?
I doubt BT could name 3 freo players before the season started. I’m not exaggerating there.
Daisy Pearce and Luke hodge were “surprised” one day when they saw Adam Cerra play for Carlton and realised he was actually decent. Would bet any money they never watched more than one of his 77 odd games for freo in full.
Caroline wilson was calling him Adam “Serra” in July last year when it emerged that Richmond might be in the running for him 😂
Was listening to billy Brownless on radio one day ridiculing Sam Switkowskis name. 😡 he’s an absolute oaf.

Then the Melbourne journos like Ralph, Barrett, Tom Morris, maclure, whateley, etc.
they don’t watch Fremantle play regular season games. It’s as clear as anything listening to them talk. Morris declared on the first podcast this year before he was sacked - “I’ll be absolutely amazed if freo finish higher than 12th”
There is no way he could have made that statement if he watched us play at all last year. No way.
It’s frustrating at times but it means you can get great value on freo at the bookies when we are underpriced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back