Semi Final v Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
N14.

I hope it turns out better than the last Lions final I went to at the MCG ie. 2004 GF.

I hope Zorks doesn't get carried away with himself and get a free kicked reversed at a vital time ah la Akermanis.
Ponsford N30 level 2 Right up the front. Noice!

Was listening to David King today and I agree (had already thought the same thing) with his take on this game.

We can’t go out and do the same thing again.

We have been determined to match or beat them in contested possesion as the key to our strategy, it hasn’t worked. So just give them contested possesion. That’s their thing, we can’t beat them there, give them it.

Winning contested ball takes your whole focus and energy and changes the way you approach the game, you could see how we got sucked into the contest in round 23 - then we had no play for the next possesion. They just torched us on the outside.

Instead prepare to lose clearance/contest and focus on what we are going to do to stop their next possesion once they get it. We will still get our own, but if they get more, no worries - their forward line is controllable, give them ball to take it off them if we can’t win our own.

Swans lost contested possession by 25. They just harassed, intercepted, got a knock away, forced it over the boundary, they took confidence away in their next possion after clearance.

I’d be saying - ‘go out and compete for contested ball, like you always do, you’re ok at it, but we arnt watching that stat’.

I think because we have wound ourselves up into a frenzy to match them in contested ball, that when the train goes off the rails after 10 minutes in that area, the entire purpose gets lost and the bubble bursts.

They are struggling to score, generally, their forward line is a weakness, we just give them too much space by over emphasising the coalface rather than having a plan around stopping them or pressuring them once they get it.

I’d be saying ‘let them win contested ball, let them win inside 50s, but we MUST be prepared to defend back 50 and be absolutely commited to our 1 on 1 match up and pressure’.

We need to pressure and stifle them, backman are back shoulder, put a preemptive extra back if needed.

Then.. when we get the ball, just go, use our slingshot, we are best coast to coast team in the league and the last few times we’ve played them, we’ve tried to be perfect with precise kicking and played a slow game. I heard players say ‘we can’t give it back to them’ in the lead up. This just isn’t us, it takes away our instinct. Just go in waves, even if they punish us a few times, we just need to win our 1 on 1s in defensive 50.

I’d say just go up the middle like the Tigers game, take risks, tap the ball forward, run in waves. Use our strength to try and unsettle what the are going to expect.

They are better than the tigers defensively but they arnt great, 70% of their edge over us is mental, if our boys can have 20 minutes where we rattle them, we can get on top of this team.

So many teams worse than us have beaten or taken it up to them, they just are not that good.

Maybe put McStay on May as a defensive tag, chuck Dev on Oliver.

Maybe don’t bring Fort in? Sounds like that decision is made, but who cares if they have Gawn and Jackson, give them that, let’s go more mobile?

I’d rather lose playing our way or a different way, trying to score over 100 and just taking them on, with a focus on defending the back 50 at the expense of contest, than trying the same thing again and losing.

It’s a free swing, just say ‘go out and play our style, you’re the best attacking team in the league’. If that means we lose by 50 points that’s fine, but I just don’t want to go down the same way again.

Was listening to David King today and I agree (had already thought the same thing) with his take on this game.

We can’t go out and do the same thing again.

We have been determined to match or beat them in contested possesion as the key to our strategy, it hasn’t worked. So just give them contested possesion. That’s their thing, we can’t beat them there, give them it.

Winning contested ball takes your whole focus and energy and changes the way you approach the game, you could see how we got sucked into the contest in round 23 - then we had no play for the next possesion. They just torched us on the outside.

Instead prepare to lose clearance/contest and focus on what we are going to do to stop their next possesion once they get it. We will still get our own, but if they get more, no worries - their forward line is controllable, give them ball to take it off them if we can’t win our own.

Swans lost contested possession by 25. They just harassed, intercepted, got a knock away, forced it over the boundary, they took confidence away in their next possion after clearance.

I’d be saying - ‘go out and compete for contested ball, like you always do, you’re ok at it, but we arnt watching that stat’.

I think because we have wound ourselves up into a frenzy to match them in contested ball, that when the train goes off the rails after 10 minutes in that area, the entire purpose gets lost and the bubble bursts.

They are struggling to score, generally, their forward line is a weakness, we just give them too much space by over emphasising the coalface rather than having a plan around stopping them or pressuring them once they get it.

I’d be saying ‘let them win contested ball, let them win inside 50s, but we MUST be prepared to defend back 50 and be absolutely commited to our 1 on 1 match up and pressure’.

We need to pressure and stifle them, backman are back shoulder, put a preemptive extra back if needed.

Then.. when we get the ball, just go, use our slingshot, we are best coast to coast team in the league and the last few times we’ve played them, we’ve tried to be perfect with precise kicking and played a slow game. I heard players say ‘we can’t give it back to them’ in the lead up. This just isn’t us, it takes away our instinct. Just go in waves, even if they punish us a few times, we just need to win our 1 on 1s in defensive 50.

I’d say just go up the middle like the Tigers game, take risks, tap the ball forward, run in waves. Use our strength to try and unsettle what the are going to expect.

They are better than the tigers defensively but they arnt great, 70% of their edge over us is mental, if our boys can have 20 minutes where we rattle them, we can get on top of this team.

So many teams worse than us have beaten or taken it up to them, they just are not that good.

Maybe don’t bring Fort in? Sounds like that decision is made, but who cares if they have Gawn and Jackson, give them that, let’s go more mobile?

I’d rather lose playing our way or a different way, trying to score over 100 and just taking them on, with a focus on defending the back 50 at the expense of contest, than trying the same thing again and losing.

It’s a free swing, just say ‘go out and play our style, you’re the best attacking team in the league’. If that means we lose by 50 points that’s fine, but I just don’t want to go down the same way again.
Brilliant post.

I’d like to add one more thing. Play Daniher further up the ground. I think May will have him covered if they’re all deep 1v1 contests. We don’t want to make the same mistake Sydney made with Buddy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely can't play Wilmot on Pickett. Might have speed but has played one game - way too big an ask. Starce has to play on pickett, and hopefully he has a better go of it this time round.

Interestingly, I feel we need to play him for that exact reason. He's new and not scarred by the usual "oh here we go again" vibe the rest might be feeling after the first two losses. He's a teenager who'll take it to Kozzy with dare and if it makes him fumble and second guess, that's a big win already.

What we're attempting is almost a heist, a smash n grab in this semi. For that to happen we need to channel a dare, almost a false bravado across the field. Try and mimic Swans and see how long we can sustain it. Worth a shot.

This. The bolded bit is coming this week.

Coleman, Rich will be instructed to send the missile down the middle - absolutely torch them and kick to our players advantage. If on a one on one, ours is standing left, aim for the space on the further left and just fire them. Once the ball hits the ground and starts rolling, its on the player to make the contest or keep moving it forward. This is what I noticed Nick Daicos has been doing so well from defense. His kicking to advantage is so precise, either he kicks to the leading player or to the space where he wants the player to move into. It's a matter of 5-10m either side but the kick goes into the right space and the opposition player is on the wrong side so can't cover it.

I've seen Wilmot do it from center square and kick a goal in 2s. Give him the license, if there are mistakes then so be it. Rip a few down the middle and to the advantage of our players and roll from there.

Also the rain that’s expected on Friday will give us a better chance of shutting them down. Less of a chance to be burnt on the counter.
rain would be a great aid in avoiding another potential May/Petty/Lever defensive marking shutout
On the other hand we have been beaten comfortably in contested possessions by the dees

What a Vic centric knob Tom Browne is, near the end of his news update today he said > "Massive massive games coming up, sudden death for both Collingwood and Melbourne".... :think::rolleyes:

I must be mistaken I thought it was sudden death for the Lions and Dockers as well.
At the risk of defending Browne, he is primarily reporting for 7 News Melbourne.

Brilliant post.

I’d like to add one more thing. Play Daniher further up the ground. I think May will have him covered if they’re all deep 1v1 contests. We don’t want to make the same mistake Sydney made with Buddy.

I almost wrote the ‘Daniher vs May’ battle because that is a guaranteed net loss on the night.

Another good example, chuck Daniher on a wing? Up the ground, in the ruck, play smaller forward line.

I doubt Fagan will go full looney as we are suggesting, but at very least, just get the boys playing ‘our game’ rather than trying to match the Dees at theirs.

Ponsford N30 level 2 Right up the front. Noice!
Which is where a colleague who is a Sydney member was sitting for the Melbourne game. I think the AFL reserves it for ‘away’ members.

I almost wrote the ‘Daniher vs May’ battle because that is a guaranteed net loss on the night.

Another good example, chuck Daniher on a wing? Up the ground, in the ruck, play smaller forward line.

I doubt Fagan will go full looney as we are suggesting, but at very least, just get the boys playing ‘our game’ rather than trying to match the Dees at theirs.

If I were Fagan I would get Joe to watch the game in which he won the ANZAC medal, he was brilliant.

Rinse and repeat please Joe.

May would just stay back and dominate Linc or Rayner while their wing is running off Joe

I’m still waiting for us to drop the bomb on what was said to Zorko and then going out and playing as quiet as a church mouse on Friday.
Don't worry.

It's up the sleeve. They know . We know. The AFL knows.

We've clocked up a few brownie pints by keeping our traps shut.

They won't be saying much this Friday . Certainly Gawn won't be.

May would just stay back and dominate Linc or Rayner while their wing is running off Joe

Probably, I gave a few examples of where you might play him, wing is proably unrealistic.

A lot of the suggestions you might throw up seem silly. You would have never thought losing Oscar a minute in to Thursdays game might help us in a weird way.

Conversely - we are too tall, our forwards can’t get their hands on it, Daniher has done nothing to interrupt May and him Lever intercept anyway and then they rebound with no resistance.

pick your poison.

Last edited:

I think in recent years, being a Victorian member has become less & less worthwhile.

I'll admit that I'm not a VIC member at the moment, as I personally do not see the value being worth it but I'm still attending games, just won't get counted as a Lions member in this statistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back