Sheffield Shield Round 7: SA v VIC @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't play Ahmed either, it comes down the old argument on the role of Shield teams. Is their aim to win the comp or develop cricketers for international honours.

Obviously it's a balance and there's a need for older experienced players, some of who are unlikely represent Australia going forward, but I just don't see that need resting with a spinner.
I think we've got that balance going alright. Playing guys like Stoinis, Handscomb, Dean, Maxwell, Tremain, Boland isn't playing blokes over the hill. Not all will play test cricket but there's a vision to the future there.

Playing them alongside guys unlikely to play for Aus again like Ahmed, Christian and maybe even Wade is a decent balance. Especially when Holland and Muirhead aren't exactly dominating at Premier level.

Last edited:
Well, Ahmed's the only spinner to play every game of the season so far.

In reality, 13 of Ahmed's wickets have come in 2 games. One against WA who are hopeless against spin and the other against SA who always fall to pieces after Christmas

Whilst it goes down in the record books, you can hardly count the match that NSW forfeited in your argument. And he only bowled 10 overs in the Vic's last game against SA, where pace took 31/32 wickets for the match.

So taking out his best match performances - which would completely distort the stats of any leading bowler in the shield - 8/200 vs WA, and this recent 5/40, his average for the season drops from a very good 24ish to a very respectable 32ish, by my calculations.

Even if he's not bowling at his best, seems to be going along effectively enough.

I wouldn't play Ahmed either, it comes down the old argument on the role of Shield teams. Is their aim to win the comp or develop cricketers for international honours.

Obviously it's a balance and there's a need for older experienced players, some of who are unlikely represent Australia going forward, but I just don't see that need resting with a spinner.
Good luck finding 11 players in Victoria likely to represent Australia.

I think we have a fairly good mix at the moment. Pattinson and Siddle are off in the test squad, Boland has just been in the Australian team, Tremain is a promising young bowler.

Dean and Handscomb are both terrific young cricketers, Glenn Maxwell is pushing for another test call up and Wade has recently played for Australia. Stoinis has also been in the ODI squad recently.

That leaves Quiney, Christian and Ahmed.

I think we've got that balance going alright. Playing guys like Stoinis, Handscomb, Dean, Maxwell, Tremain, Boland isn't playing blokes over the hill. Not all will play test cricket but there's a vision to the future there.

Playing them alongside guys unlikely to play for Aus again like Ahmed, Christian and maybe even Wade is a decent balance. Especially when Holland and Murihead aren't exactly dominating at Premier level.
It's good we've flipped it around in the last couple of seasons with more youth than older heads in the team.

In terms of Ahmed, your last point probably hits the nail on the head. There's little point selecting guys who aren't in form, especially when Ahmed is getting the job done.

Whilst people complain about the older blokes, we got canned for recruiting Chris Rogers when WA wouldn't give him a game and he goes on to be a key member of the test side for a couple of years.

The old blokes always have a chance and even Ahmed may end up with a shock call up at some stage in the subcontinent, he is shitloads better than Agar!

Funnier things have happened, but I think Ahmed may have missed his best chance for a baggy green. The selectors would have had a good look at him on recent test tours, yet he was overlooked in favour of O'Keefe shortly after.

Whilst it goes down in the record books, you can hardly count the match that NSW forfeited in your argument. And he only bowled 10 overs in the Vic's last game against SA, where pace took 31/32 wickets for the match.

So taking out his best match performances - which would completely distort the stats of any leading bowler in the shield - 8/200 vs WA, and this recent 5/40, his average for the season drops from a very good 24ish to a very respectable 32ish, by my calculations.

Even if he's not bowling at his best, seems to be going along effectively enough.

Spot on.

However, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So why'd he get picked for the ODI series? He have a good matador cup? Nope, he was ordinary in the BBL shouldn't of been in the squad

He was 12th man for a test series and got his chance in the ODI series when injuries popped up.

You just said he got picked off one over and now saying he was ordinary in the BBL. Which one is it?

8/90 champ. Just cop it.

So why'd he get picked for the ODI series? He have a good matador cup? Nope, he was ordinary in the BBL shouldn't of been in the squad
Did Khawaja have a good matador cup.... No.

Didn't stop them picking though. We're schizophrenic with selection policies.

Well done Bushrangers! No Siddle or Patto, had to make do with spuds like Boland and Ahmed - what a mighty effort!!! :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: ;)
I can nearly taste it. B2B baby!!

He was 12th man for a test series and got his chance in the ODI series when injuries popped up.

You just said he got picked off one over and now saying he was ordinary in the BBL. Which one is it?

8/90 champ. Just cop it.
He was ordinary in the BBL and got picked on the back of one over of death bowling lmao, shouldn't of been in the ODI squad
He bowled well props to him

Khawaja was brilliant in the test series and the back end of the BBL deserved a shot
and I keep repeating myself about how wrong that is. Picking blokes for ODI's based off how they perform in tests or BBL. Might as well scrap domestic one day cricket if we're not going to use it to select players. Just highlights the contempt that we have for ODI cricket for all but the 6 months leading into a World Cup.

Flimsy selection policies.

and I keep repeating myself about how wrong that is. Picking blokes for ODI's based off how they perform in tests or BBL. Might as well scrap domestic one day cricket if we're not going to use it to select players. Just highlights the contempt that we have for ODI cricket for all but the 6 months leading into a World Cup.

Flimsy selection policies.
yeah its stupid, who would you have opening in the ODI squad?

yeah its stupid, who would you have opening in the ODI squad?
When fit Finch and Warner, that partnership was working well. When he's injured, like now.

Shaun Marsh, actually did well in the Matador cup and on the sporadic occasions he has played since about 2013, he has played well. Roughly nearly 50 in that time.

Good state bowler and thats about his limit. But very happy to see him having an impact for the Vics.
I reckon he'd do a solid enough job in Tests for us, but Lyon's good enough/O'Keefe's solid enough backup that he'll likely never really get the chance.

Whilst people complain about the older blokes, we got canned for recruiting Chris Rogers when WA wouldn't give him a game and he goes on to be a key member of the test side for a couple of years.

The old blokes always have a chance and even Ahmed may end up with a shock call up at some stage in the subcontinent, he is shitloads better than Agar!

Bit disingenous as usual. Rogers only wasn't going to be playing in the short form stuff.

Great to see Ahmed clean up another Shield side again. Shame so many still deride him so much, not sure he's test standard but there's no question of his belonging at domestic level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back