Sheffield Shield Round 8: Tasmania v Western Australia @ Hobart (Mon-Thu)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well...that's dissapointing.

Need Geevesy and Dents to slice through them with the new ball, and keep the final chase under 200. 150 would be better. At least we are pretty much guaranteed a result.

Congrats to SOB on showing something with the bat, unfortunately you were on your own. I think Dighton and Birt may well get a recall at this rate.

Dorey was the leading wicket taker in the Sheild going into this game. With another innings to go he could be well ahead. Im suprised he wasn't talked about more as an option for South Africa.

This is a must win game for WA, need the bats to fire here.

WA 4/48 with a lead of 74 runs. If we can get to at least 150 and then try set something of around 200+ I will be happy from here. Still hopefully Voges and Pomersbach can get scores as both need a ton.

Must be an absolute road. I dont think I would have any qualms about reversing the order next game and opening the batting with Mangan. This is ridiculous.
A road is a batting deck ;). This has to Be a RSA pitch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think you can judge a bowler on Bellerive these days. Pretty much every bowler goes well there now. However any batter able to score runs on those pitches is going dam well.

WA 6/68.. The Tassie Curator needs to be shot

Why so.

This is not a pitch that has uneven bounce or is two paced.

The wickets at Hobart this year have fallen because the wicket has been an old style damp green top. Seen early in the year in England or the Southern Grounds of New Zealand cricket as well.

On these wickets providing you look after the ball it will swing conventionally and cut off the seem if bowled in the right spot and even grip for the spinners.

There is no doubt it it is a pitch that favors the bowlers and the first year senior curatataor maybe pushed it too being too bias than perhaps he would like it ensures that batsman must use correct footwork, Phil Hughes has turned it on here this year and Tim Paine has made a couple of unbeaten 60s as well.

Its not perfect but its not the unmitigated disaster that has been claimed, its just a style of wicket not seen in Australia for many many years.

Though even I find the irony in that Tassie have a wicket like that when the likes of Hilfenhaus, Geeves, Denton and Butterworth grace the bowling line up.

Far out, what a collapse by WA.

Highlighting the efforts of the three players who have kept us in this game only serves to show what an average year it has been for the majority of the rest of the team.

Wes Robinson, first year player, currently topping the team's batting averages (only player above 40) and is second to Marcus North in runs scored... playing only his 5th game of the season.

Dorey and Magoffin... no other WA bowler has yet topped 10 wickets for the season... before this match North was second best on 8.

Amazingly... I guess WA are still a slight chance.

Highlighting the efforts of the three players who have kept us in this game only serves to show what an average year it has been for the majority of the rest of the team.

Wes Robinson, first year player, currently topping the team's batting averages (only player above 40) and is second to Marcus North in runs scored... playing only his 5th game of the season.

Dorey and Magoffin... no other WA bowler has yet topped 10 wickets for the season... before this match North was second best on 8.

What's more a worry is if WA wins, we go to second place on the ladder and we're in the box seat to play the Vics in the final :eek:

It will be a slaughter

True, having said that Porter bowled alright in the first innings. What is he like for pace?

Contrary to what the results are showing, it sounds like the pitch is playing fine with just a little bit in it for the bowlers.

Both Peter Newlands and Warwick Hatfield were on ABC Radio saying that the batsmen are making it a lot more difficult than it is.

As the poster above has said (whoever it was) if you show some patience you can score runs as has Hughes & Paine (& Geeves). Looks like the 2nd team into the Shield final will be there via default as certainly neither of these two deserve it based on their efforts this season.

Tassie won't want to be chasing anymore than 150, so need to take the 2 wickets for only around 20 runs or less. At least they will know they have the best part of 2 days to make them so should be able to apply themselves and win.

Shaping as a close finish to the Shield season (with the exception of Victoria). I do however have a funny feeling that the Bushrangers might stumble at the last hurdle again though.

Seems to be a lot of plays and misses and edges for runs so far this morning without any wickets. They have already increased the lead to 146 and it could be starting to get away from Tassie. They also still have Dorey to come who is one of the better number 11's going around.

Shaping as a close finish to the Shield season (with the exception of Victoria). I do however have a funny feeling that the Bushrangers might stumble at the last hurdle again though.

Here's hoping, if it's anything like the whinge fest that occurred after they lost the 20/20 final it should be entertaining

Remove this Banner Ad

Back