No Oppo Supporters Shrugging a tackle vs ducking

Remove this Banner Ad

Luv the way that the GFC board has always been open about threads... but it takes a Hawks Coach to come out and basically lie about Selwood and his concussion status to cause us to lock out opposition posters - for now anyway.

We really are in their heads.

Funny and desperate s**t.

GO Catters
Bring back #Head*ed

Luv the way that the GFC board has always been open about threads... but it takes a Hawks Coach to come out and basically lie about Selwood and his concussion status to cause us to lock out opposition posters - for now anyway.

We really are in their heads.

Funny and desperate s**t.

GO Catters
Carrying on more after a win against us than any of their previous losses. LOL even when they win, they still lose.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

i am definitely on joels side of this whole argument, but i think if he wore a hawthorn jumper we would probably all see it very differently...
100%

That is, it would annoy the s**t out of me that there is an opposition player that is basically incapable of being tackled fairly and for that reason gets a s**t-tonne of frees.

That’s what’s going on here. Stop dressing it up as concern for his health of “spirit of the game” or anything else. It’s bloody annoying when you’re powerless against an opposition player

The way this gets framed as the "does Selwood duck?" debate is an absurdity. It's not a "debate" if there's an objective answer to the question. There are right and wrong answers, and it's not like the right answer is particularly hard to understand. He has a shrugging technique that is within the rules. People don't get to "have an opinion" on that, they either engage with reality and accept it as a basic fact or they don't, in which case they openly declare themselves to be an utter moron.
This

i actually think the arm raise is sometimes used by joel to simply draw a free. the one against hawthorn last week that resulted in a goal from a 50 was not an attempt to break the tackle and keep going - in my opinion, at least.

im fine with it, and i think its smart play. and yes, he sometimes does use it to break a tackle. but it is also a neat way of getting an unpressured kick, and is sometimes used by joel in that way.
There are two actions he employs. One is where he changes direction which causes the tackle to slip high. The other is where he feels the tackle on the upper arm and he uses that opportunity to lift his arm make it go high.

There are many examples of both (more in the first than the second) where he continues to play on through the high tackle and dispose of the ball to a teammate. That’s not playing for a free.

There are, as you point out, examples in the second category where he’s in a tight spot and he takes the option available to him under the rules to make a high-arm tackle slip higher.

In all situations the one commonality is the tackler has a poor technique. The opportunity to slip a tackle high can only come if the tackle starts high enough. It’s amazing (and very favourable to Geelong and Joel) that opposition haven’t cottoned on to this and target his centre of gravity.

The opposition just need to pay better attention to whom they are tackling - with Z Joel you need to go lower around his middle as he doesn't bust through tackles.

With players like Ablett & Danger, they are strong through the core & more likely to bust through a tackle, so you need to pin their arms

There are two actions he employs. One is where he changes direction which causes the tackle to slip high. The other is where he feels the tackle on the upper arm and he uses that opportunity to lift his arm make it go high.

There are many examples of both (more in the first than the second) where he continues to play on through the high tackle and dispose of the ball to a teammate. That’s not playing for a free.

There are, as you point out, examples in the second category where he’s in a tight spot and he takes the option available to him under the rules to make a high-arm tackle slip higher.

In all situations the one commonality is the tackler has a poor technique. The opportunity to slip a tackle high can only come if the tackle starts high enough. It’s amazing (and very favourable to Geelong and Joel) that opposition haven’t cottoned on to this and target his centre of gravity.
Every now and then someone will stick him with a good tackle. It happens. He seems almost shocked when it happens.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

If anyone wants a laugh or to vent frustration - go onto Facebook, search for the Herald Sun and find the link to the article - according to the comments the Scott brothers are both wingers & do nothing but complain.

Also, Selwood has apparently had more than 10 serious head knocks and hence concussions, so our doctors & team have been lying in allowing Joel to continue playing & only reporting 3 concussions.

agree with all of that!

If anyone wants a laugh or to vent frustration - go onto Facebook, search for the Herald Sun and find the link to the article - according to the comments the Scott brothers are both wingers & do nothing but complain.

Also, Selwood has apparently had more than 10 serious head knocks and hence concussions, so our doctors & team have been lying in allowing Joel to continue playing & only reporting 3 concussions.
There’s an even better Facebook page called drawing dicks on the herald sun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must have read a different article to most

" We have spoken about Joel which is a little unfair in a sense because many players do it . Poppy is probably a ripper for us - its the way they play the game "

"It will impact on Paul Puopolo and James Sicily just as as it will with Joel Sellwood if it is to be changed . Ithink thats whats good for the game "

No bigger fan than me of J Selwood - in past threads ive called him Geelongs greatest ever player ( because with out him - (pre Dangerfield days) - he was the only thing holding Geel together - one of those losing finals to Hawthorn he was outstanding and the only reason Geel remained in the game - where as team mates that night wre fn ordinary

However i didnt like the freekick on Monday ( even though L Mathews said it was the tacklers fault) . The tackler had no hope - because even if he went lower as Joel ducked/or dropped his body - and tackled Joel around the hips - then Selwoods arms are free to hanball it off - so the tackler even if he was Houdini - he had no chance

Christenson was 10 times worse than Selwood when he was at Geel - it was cringeworthy at the time - McClean - Miles Poppy - Shuey ( and got the winning kick in that final last year ) and even Parfitt has got the bailout when in dire trouble - of the old rubber neck

They should be instructed to call it Play on - and no free kick is awarded - i think it would be for the better

Seems the cranky midget decided to try and divert the attention from his newest thug in shitty stripes getting rubbed out for a dog act with a bit if subterfuge on Selwood.

Seems desperate really and with no merit or basis. Leigh Matthews and Wayne Carey said its fine.

GO Catters

Coward punchers don’t confront things front on.

They don’t have the courage to be direct, and instead rely on sneaky, dirty, low tactics to try and gain an advantage.

Leopard / Spots and all that.

I must have read a different article to most

" We have spoken about Joel which is a little unfair in a sense because many players do it . Poppy is probably a ripper for us - its the way they play the game "

"It will impact on Paul Puopolo and James Sicily just as as it will with Joel Sellwood if it is to be changed . Ithink thats whats good for the game "

No bigger fan than me of J Selwood - in past threads ive called him Geelongs greatest ever player ( because with out him - (pre Dangerfield days) - he was the only thing holding Geel together - one of those losing finals to Hawthorn he was outstanding and the only reason Geel remained in the game - where as team mates that night wre fn ordinary

However i didnt like the freekick on Monday ( even though L Mathews said it was the tacklers fault) . The tackler had no hope - because even if he went lower as Joel ducked/or dropped his body - and tackled Joel around the hips - then Selwoods arms are free to hanball it off - so the tackler even if he was Houdini - he had no chance

Christenson was 10 times worse than Selwood when he was at Geel - it was cringeworthy at the time - McClean - Miles Poppy - Shuey ( and got the winning kick in that final last year ) and even Parfitt has got the bailout when in dire trouble - of the old rubber neck

They should be instructed to call it Play on - and no free kick is awarded - i think it would be for the better

It was the midget’s deliberate lie about the number of concussions, and his implication of their cause that was unsavoury.

He was being malicious, and Scott called him out on it.

Good.

Hey legal talking guy, is being a bell-end an established defence for defamation? :D

based on his recent history of defences (sicily needs to be looked after by the umps to prevent people being kneed in the head...), id say 'its not defamation, im just a bell-end' would be somewhere in his kit bag.

I've been watching the tackling more closely recently, Selwood runs low, he runs slow, and usually in traffic, and he usually holds the ball too long without looking over his shoulder. Yes, there's the shrug, but the chances of an arm slipping up and over are greater, I think, regardless of his shrug. I think he could h it the brakes more often and draw the in the back call. :)
It's quite clear his head doesn't take a hit for these 'head-high contacts', his neck does.
And I also agree with the notion, that few here would raise much of an uproar if play on was called more often. JS himself would probably just shrug and drive out of the tackle harder.

Head high tackles...what about head high take outs ... I think the player who Clarkson did his brave little love tap on in London never really recovered. What about the thuggery of certain coaches... encouraging a certain style.. encouraging anti social play? I bet there is far more injury to players from some of his methodology than what someone does to try to avoid being tackled

Im a tad over this constant ill informed stoke the fire issue.. the media lap it up. Well should I say most. KB Bartlett has always been a Selwood supporter.. he continually sites that a player has the right to try to avoid being tackled.. he continually tells tackles to tackle lower ..and if they do not then do not whinge and whine when a free kick is given.

Train your players to not give the free kick away instead of swimming in your own bath water Mr Shark Net

Now I understand in the old days one could grab a jumper and sling , and really dropkick the player with the tackle by riding him to the ground .. people like Clarkson should keep their comments to themselves. One can only imagine the reaction if it was us whinging about Pulpo or some other player in his side.

I guess what he has done is just added a tad Tabasco to the next match between us.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back