Certified Legendary Thread Sneaking in to the Grand Final............

deanc

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
If you showed up with a few slabs on a little hand trolley and an invoice to one of the bars you would 100% get in.
Yep, that was the modus operandi back in the days, also presenting yourselves are maintenance people, wearing overalls with toolboxes (with bottles of top shelf inside) was usually a walk-in success. But in context, you were also mostly dealing with volunteers/club social members working the gate, who were happy to accept any plausible story.

Whereas, the main challenge today is overcoming bored security staff looking to wield some power their uniforms provide - and aside from CCTV monitoring all entry points, it only takes one them to 'offer to assist you' by asking for the name and number of the vendor inside or for your venue maintenance contact - and the game's up..!

Last edited:

mattpolo8

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
I know one of the blokes who's in lock up now for a few months. He's easily the worst human being I've ever met. He's a self entitled ***** who's had everything handed to him on a platter, including his bar. And unless you're a D grade celebrity or higher, he treats you like crap.

Fraud was the big one and ultimately what landed them as convicted criminals and Christmas behind bars. Still yet to face court in NT as well which will be a fine. In terms of their businesses, financial planner awfully hard to get that career back. The bar? Current liquor laws in Victoria don't disallow convicted criminals to hold a liquor licence. But VCGLR will 100% review that licence now. In terms of the bar's success though? I have zero doubt that he has enough mates who are of the same kind, to fill that joint again.

Oh and the most recent article highlights what the lawyer for (bar owner) tried to use to get all 10 months suspended. Apparently the accused was diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar in 2015 and the financial strains of his bar being shut for 240+ days led to him making some decisions that were not like him......

but he had no problem forking out $4.8m for a house in Toorak and inviting the entire Dees club over for a party.

Dirty Bird

Pokémon Master
Aug 1, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#BostonStrong #RiseUp
Jail for crossing borders. Not sure if Australia or North Korea.
That's insulting
If you tried to sneak into North Korea they'd shower you in gifts and use you as propaganda 'we're a destination country, everyone wants to come here'

It's also harsher than China/Russia. If a North Korean crossed the border into either country they'd be sent back home. Here they're locked up.

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I enjoyed the video, as someone said earlier an extra camera would’ve made it so much better, as for breaking COVID restrictions they deserve what’s coming.

GhostofJimJess

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Seeing the Demons win the first grand of his lifetime? Probably
They still would've won it if he hadn't been there. And from someone who's been at the 2017/19 GF's but had to watch 2020 on the telly, yeah it's not as good as being there, but the gap is most certainly not worth a conviction, let alone a jail term and a lost job and/or business.

Louie the Lipinski

Senior List
Oct 12, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
They still would've won it if he hadn't been there. And from someone who's been at the 2017/19 GF's but had to watch 2020 on the telly, yeah it's not as good as being there, but the gap is most certainly not worth a conviction, let alone a jail term and a lost job and/or business.
I agree. You should just be happy to see your team win the flag, regardless of where you watch it from.

Anja_Nees

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know one of the blokes who's in lock up now for a few months. He's easily the worst human being I've ever met. He's a self entitled ***** who's had everything handed to him on a platter, including his bar. And unless you're a D grade celebrity or higher, he treats you like crap.

Fraud was the big one and ultimately what landed them as convicted criminals and Christmas behind bars. Still yet to face court in NT as well which will be a fine. In terms of their businesses, financial planner awfully hard to get that career back. The bar? Current liquor laws in Victoria don't disallow convicted criminals to hold a liquor licence. But VCGLR will 100% review that licence now. In terms of the bar's success though? I have zero doubt that he has enough mates who are of the same kind, to fill that joint again.

Oh and the most recent article highlights what the lawyer for (bar owner) tried to use to get all 10 months suspended. Apparently the accused was diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar in 2015 and the financial strains of his bar being shut for 240+ days led to him making some decisions that were not like him......

but he had no problem forking out $4.8m for a house in Toorak and inviting the entire Dees club over for a party.
Used to have a connection to one as well. Some mutual pals were trying to figure out who ratted them out before it became known but no one thought it was anything but hilarious that they got done.

It’s hysterically funny that they only got their cover blown by getting themselves into the post match celebration photos.

All they had to do is keep their heads down and go out for some celebratory beers in Perth after the game like everyone else and come back whenever they felt like it. No one would have been any the wiser and they would had had a great yarn.

Last edited:

Herne Hill Hammer

Premium Platinum
Jun 22, 2008
Cowes
AFL Club
Geelong
Wonder if anyone actually did this

There is an uncontrolled border crossing at the south-west of the NT, west of Uluru, near the Kata Tjuṯa.
Barring the occasional road wash out, it's a very well maintained wide gravel highway, suitable for 2WDs and trucks.

Would save days on the trip above... for next time....
I'm pretty sure it's been shut down due to COVID, it's the Great Central Road from Yulara to Laverton, the only real road access in has been via either of Eucla or Kununurra. The Gunbarrel Hwy goes that way too, from around Yulara to Wiluna.

Taylor Moss

All Australian
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
If you showed up with a few slabs on a little hand trolley and an invoice to one of the bars you would 100% get in.
Were talking about this the other day. My mate moved up to Byron when he was 19 (25 years ago, or so)

He was working at a bar up there & on day shift these 2 blokes rocked up with Polo shirts & a clipboard. Introduced themselves as being from Phillip Morris & they were there to take out the smoke machine & replace it with a new one.

Tbey were only partly truthful. They were there to take the cigarette machine, but they weren’t from Phillip Morris.

It was the clipboard that made their story believable.

Shane Heard

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
And didn’t even make it into the ground

“The 22-year-old arrived at the airport on September 24, telling authorities he had come from South Australia and producing a temporary driver's licence from that state, along with a false rental agreement.

The court heard that further investigations revealed he had travelled to South Australia from Victoria and had not spent 14 days in SA.

Jovanovski was arrested at a Perth hotel the day after he arrived, and he didn't get to see the grand final.”
'Incredibly stupid': AFL grand final border breacher gets $7,000 fine “

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10...reacher-daniel-jovanovski-cops-fine/100548538

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad