AFL Autopsy Spanked by Sydney in elimination final

Remove this Banner Ad

FEXlF.jpg

I am new here and not sure of rules and so on as I seem to get shunted off when I post something I think needs its own thread.

By marriage, I am related to one of the Maggots who did our game on Saturday. A good guy (surprisingly :rolleyes:) is very experienced and has done Grannies. He said of the first quarter on Saturday, it was the most ferocious he had umpired in his AFL career. We simply couldn't keep up.

Interesting too to hear Razor Ray yell out to Joey doing one of his annoying aerial Ballet routines "thats not going to work here Joey!"

FWIW. ;)

Thanks for sharing that. There are some good umpires in the system but as a group, the umpires underperformed in our game. How do you feel about that? Do you ever see games where your relative mucks up or cheats/favours a side?

I'm not trying to goad you; I just reckon if it was my relative I'd cut them loose! Haha

Thanks for sharing that. There are some good umpires in the system but as a group, the umpires underperformed in our game. How do you feel about that? Do you ever see games where your relative mucks up or cheats/favours a side?

I'm not trying to goad you; I just reckon if it was my relative I'd cut them loose! Haha

No probs mate! I am a maggot hater from way Back!! :)

The benefit hooker has on the fwd line is massive. He makes defenders accountable and lets daniher 1v1 or get on the loose.

Whilst Hooker back would strengthen our backline in will severally weaken our fwd line.

Agree re Hooksey and my Physio said today it sounded like a 4 weeker but in the end meh. I really doesn't matter how good your forwards are if the aget is down the other end because our mids are crap. Holy shite, TBell won the ruck.

Agree re Hooksey and my Physio said today it sounded like a 4 weeker but in the end meh. I really doesn't matter how good your forwards are if the aget is down the other end because our mids are crap. Holy shite, TBell won the ruck.
He won more hitouts and was probably better quality but he lost, badly on the day

I really don't agree with that. What suggests that we would have won a final let alone push deep into it? Where from our list management since suggests that we realised it? We weren't playing contested footy back then. We weren't a hard pressure team in 2014, or 2015 etc. It is the same players from the Knights/Hird era that folded against Sydney. What is to say that they wouldn't have done it again? We could have pushed Sydney if Myers, TBC, Hurley, Colyer, Watson and Heppell performed at the level required. Port would be playing GWS if Ryder had a good game. Out of the 5 AA players, only Daniher played well. We hide behind way too many excuses and the record speaks for itself. If only this if only that. The truth is, we've been a soft club for a very long time and I'm hoping that the club finally see what we're dealing with.

Really analyse the signs. We're always looking at the forecast to see if we are a chance to win a game against bottom sides let alone premiership contenders. Can't even go a year without losing the supposed unlosable game in front of our home crowd. Woosha, Hird, Bomber and Knights all have differing styles for exactly the same results. Still can't comfortably beat teams we're supposed to beat. Still can't compete under finals pressure. It's the same pre-saga, during saga and post-saga. We're basically Carlton or Melbourne with a million excuses attached. If you chuckle at the teams I brought up, then know that they've won a final and hosted a final more recently than we did.

Truth is, overtime, a culture builds and sticks. Right now, we are soft and that's the reality of it. The saga only provides a mask for what was happening before the saga. Nothing from this year was different to anything else that we've seen. We really can't say that the saga stopped us from a premiership when nothing shows us that we were heading there to begin with. The fact that we quote last year's wooden spoon as some sort of a remarkable progression shows what state we are in. If Melbourne didn't choke, we probably wouldn't have made finals to begin with. I really laugh at those who applaud our season, yet rip into Port for their season. Are they supposed to have a higher standard than us? I mean, we both played our first final since 2014.

Luckily for us, Woosha knows all about hardness and what it takes to build a capable midfield. To move forward, we have to acknowledge our current state and address it.

Year Disposals Tackles
2012 7766 1345
2013 8269 1332
2014 8842 1515

With the exception of tackle numbers in 2013, I recognise an upward trend between 2012 and 2014, the last time we made an Elimination Final.
The numbers suggest, that had the saga not have happened, we could have pushed further in 2015 or beyond.

I said that during this time we got harder at the ball, and the numbers don't dispute that.
It's interesting to note that David Myers finally got his body right in 2013 and 2014, playing 20 and 18 games respectively out of 23. In 2012 he played 9.

Then, as I've said already, the weight of the saga took its toll. We see a downturn in numbers through 2015 leading up to the verdict. The truth is that we played some great footy in spite of the saga until the players could bear it no more. There are myriad suggestions about why we played better during this period. Believe what you want.

I'm not sure about the relevance to my post of any of the other stuff you wrote, except to say you seem very cross.

Also, you people who spend all your time digging up stats and such are nuts. That took so much time.

Do you honestly think Hooker would've made a difference when the ball was coming in under no pressure at all?

Whether the ball was coming in no pressure or not, the ridiculous ease with which Sinclair, Franklin & Reid were taking contested marks inside 50 was a disgrace. Wasn't like they were all delivered lace out. Given Hooker's our best contested mark & reader of ball in flight I think he would've made a difference absolutely.

Result wouldn't have changed, but s**t he would've stemmed the bleeding in the 2nd qtr. As might've playing Hurley on buddy too! His whole mindset changed when he was assigned Sinclair & poor old Ambrose was a lamb to the slaughter!! Putrid coaching from Woosha!

20 marks inside 50 to 5 is an indictment on your back 6 no matter what way you look at it & it wasn't like being smashed on the i50's was foreign to us this year.

Last edited:
Whether the ball was coming in no pressure or not, the ridiculous ease with which Sinclair, Franklin & Reid were taking contested marks inside 50 was a disgrace. Wasn't like they were all delivered lace out. Given Hookers our best contested mark & reader of ball in flight I think he would've made a difference absolutely.

Result wouldn't have changed, but s**t he would've stemmed the bleeding in the 2nd qtr. As might've playing Hurley on buddy too! Putrid coaching from Woosha!

20 marks inside 50 to 5 is an indictment on your back 6 no matter what way you look at it & it wasn't like being smashed on the i50's was foreign to us this year.
Reid took 1 mark inside 50 for the entire game.

Also they had 22 more inside 50's to us, in what world is that not a "smashing"?

I know it's a what if but if Heppell held the ball or had his foot free he doesn't get called for holding the ball and the missed mark at the end of the first qtr we could have been in a different position. It happens all the time, a few moments early can effect momentum and mentality.
The misses said at the time we were too soft for not aggravating buddys thigh and that we did the opposite and took the foot off him as we thought he was cooked. We had no "unsociable" grit. When was the last time a team won a final being a soft, stand offish team?

Reid took 1 mark inside 50 for the entire game.

Also they had 22 more inside 50's to us, in what world is that not a "smashing"?

I'm aware of the inside 50 differential....but it unfortunately doesn't give context to what I'm talking about. We won games this year with big i 50 deficits.

The amount of contested marks that were taken was the concern....misreading of flight, lack of competitiveness (mismatches) were a huge reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm aware of the inside 50 differential....but it unfortunately doesn't give context to what I'm talking about. We won games this year with big i 50 deficits.

The amount of contested marks that were taken was the concern....misreading of flight, lack of competitiveness (mismatches) were a huge reason.
Ah, sorry I misread your post.

Our midfield pressure was non-existant, but I agree. Hurley needs to get a little heavier once again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back