Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure where the 'done deal' came from but the ACC have lodged an objection to the SMA's hotel proposal. There is a Parliamentary Inquiry into the Oval Hilton and the Adelaide City Council has objected on the grounds of the number of beds currently under construction in the CBD and the fact that the SMA does not pay Council rates which gives it an unfair advantage of other businesses. The ACC has also taken a dead set swipe at the SMA accusing them of being secretive and not open to discussion. A war of words has erupted between the Council and the SMA- how sweet it is.

I had heard on the grapevine that the hotel wasn't going to go ahead. Such a shame they closed Hill of Grace in anticipation and some really talented people lost their jobs.

I had heard on the grapevine that the hotel wasn't going to go ahead. Such a shame they closed Hill of Grace in anticipation and some really talented people lost their jobs.
What? * me, what a joke.

I blame Peter Hurley. It's got his grimy little fingerprints all over it.

lol the SMA is literally just the SANFL under another name. Same people, same mistakes, same cronyism, same people that get ****ed over because of the same vendettas.

rofl how SA is that

This hotel is gonna be an absolute lemon.
Yep. There's no way I'd want to stay to a hotel attached to the MCG or Marvel during the week. The thought of staying in one for a game, with a bunch of noisy intoxicated footy fans giving no quiet before or after you go to the game makes for a game day / night even less appealing. So really their target market is those who are so lazy or the thought of walking / catching the tram / uber / taxi for a short trip is so scary/unappealing, it compensates for all the downsides.

Yep. There's no way I'd want to stay to a hotel attached to the MCG or Marvel during the week. The thought of staying in one for a game, with a bunch of noisy intoxicated footy fans giving no quiet before or after you go to the game makes for a game day / night even less appealing. So really their target market is those who are so lazy or the thought of walking / catching the tram / uber / taxi for a short trip is so scary/unappealing, it compensates for all the downsides.

That 5-10 minute stroll from the city is brutal, man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should add in a KFC to really hone in on that market.

What's the bet it's an attempt to cash in on the visiting sides.

Hmmm...I've got this bad feeling...

They've closed the Hill of Grace Restaurant because they were going to build a hotel that they knew was not going to happen.

There's now a massive amount of open space in a building at Adelaide Oval.

Peter Hurley: "Hey AFC, we've got space for your Shed! It looks over the oval and everything!"

Hmmm...I've got this bad feeling...

They've closed the Hill of Grace Restaurant because they were going to build a hotel that they knew was not going to happen.

There's now a massive amount of open space in a building at Adelaide Oval.

Peter Hurley: "Hey AFC, we've got space for your Shed! It looks over the oval and everything!"

The AFC wants a post-game venue out of the clutches of the SMA, hence exploring all the options next to the ground like the non-starter on University Oval, and the three way partnership with the 36ers and Tennis SA for Memorial Drive, so I don't see it happening. I mean it'd be no different to running post-game in the Magarey room like they do already.

Shock horror, the SANFL back the SMA plans for the Hotel claiming local footy needs it to survive.

I hope the ACC fight this all the way, not that I like there chances.

Shock horror, the SANFL back the SMA plans for the Hotel claiming local footy needs it to survive.

SANFL directors (who are also the SMA directors) back SMA plan. Who would have thought.

I love their chances. From the boss of the SMA, Andrew Daniels:

We’re a subtenant, we sublease from the government who themselves lease from the Adelaide City Council and the land itself is actually Crown land.
If the State Government leases from the ACC, if the ACC says '* off' - guess what's going to happen?

That's why the SANFL is trying the s**t 'local footy' sobstory to generate public goodwill. These morons actually think that the South Australian tax payer is going to swallow this s**t when they've already got all the proceeds that they generated from selling off the Footy Park precinct.

“That revenue SMA has from the hotel means we won’t have to put money into the maintenance of the Oval and we can focus on funding football,” said some SANFL stooge.

So what they are saying is "We want to take all the money from Adelaide and Port games and not spend one cent on the maintenance of the Oval for the clubs who actually put on the show. Instead, what we propose is that we take out a $42m loan - that the SMA will pay for out of the money the AFL clubs generate - and build a hotel that will eventually pay for the costs of maintenance. And no, we aren't going to renegotiate a better deal for the tenant clubs - that would mean we wouldn't have any money for football. Because we are incompetent."

If they said 'We want to build this hotel so the tenant clubs get a better deal out of not having to pay for maintenance during games', then bring it on. But they aren't saying that, so they can * off. All they will do is keep the MAC Footy Express surcharge and sequester it to the hotel loan.

Also, it looks ******* s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back