Swans website media watch [split from Lions practice match thread]

Remove this Banner Ad

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Swans too good. Good luck for the season!

BTW, we feel your pain. Our media department was just as bad these past few years. They finally changed things around this year - MUCH better.

I'd love to steal, kidnap, entice whoever does Hawks Media to do ours. They are fantastic. I would love our media to look at Hawks, Cats medias etc as a good example of what is needed and what can be done.

I'd love to steal, kidnap, entice whoever does Hawks Media to do ours. They are fantastic. I would love our media to look at Hawks, Cats medias etc as a good example of what is needed and what can be done.

What do you think the Swans could/should do to improve, given the resources they currently have at their disposal?

What do you think the Swans could/should do to improve, given the resources they currently have at their disposal?
One of the blokes at work was streaming the whole dons v tigers game yesterday on his phone. Good quality too. If they can do that, surely our team can at least update properly all scores injuries etc possible even take photos and upload to fb/twitter throughout the day. On days like today when we are playing in suberban brisbane and no televising they sure put some effort in to help make the fans that couldnt be there feel like they actually are.

I think twitter updates / pics / live chats like the one the Lions had today work well for practice games because at the end of the day the results don't matter, and they offer more opportunities for fan interaction. I thought their coverage of the intra club was quite good, encouraging fans to get to the game (which worked, evidenced by the significantly larger attendance compared to previous years, though obviously Buddy was a factor). You want people to feel like they have a relationship with the club.

I think twitter updates / pics / live chats like the one the Lions had today work well for practice games because at the end of the day the results don't matter, and they offer more opportunities for fan interaction. I thought their coverage of the intra club was quite good, encouraging fans to get to the game (which worked, evidenced by the significantly larger attendance compared to previous years, though obviously Buddy was a factor). You want people to feel like they have a relationship with the club.

Money shot right there - that is what it is all about.

One of the blokes at work was streaming the whole dons v tigers game yesterday on his phone. Good quality too. If they can do that, surely our team can at least update properly all scores injuries etc possible even take photos and upload to fb/twitter throughout the day. On days like today when we are playing in suberban brisbane and no televising they sure put some effort in to help make the fans that couldnt be there feel like they actually are.

As trivial as it seems to the average supporter could it be a legal thing? Broadcasting rights etc?

A phone is a marvelous thing these days. All the videos, pics and commentary coming from the Hawks Media was from a mobile phone. Very good quality, if short video, with lots of written commentary, stats, score updates with every goal not just their goals, best players and goal kickers at the end of every quarter. One person was probably on the phone while he/she got stats, info etc from others in either the media dept or footy dept. Everyone seemed to be working together because their stats came out very quickly. What it may be is that the phone can get stats directly from the Statistician's laptop. There also may be more than one giving updates too.

So far there has been no video footage of the game. There should have been someone shooting the game. As Cadsky said it doesn't take much to film a game, only a good mobile phone with a great camera. Call Macquarie Uni Media dept and they will inform of the best to buy for the process.

The updates often did not have the score on them, just who scored the goal. If I had just come in I would have to scroll back to find out what was happening. Often times the posting of updates was so late it was up to 10 mins after the goal was scored. How do I know this? I was on Herald Sun website and Lions Media were posting. Their posts, while very basic, were at least up to date. Our posts were late and lacked any detail. If I had just been on Twitter I would have been in the dark for very long periods and getting frustrated.

Swans Media also needs flair to promote the game in the NRL environment. We need to be different and to be able to produce something nobody else is doing. Because of the highly competitive environment in Sydney the quality of the recording and the material recorded has to be top notch. There is no use giving game highlights if those highlights are not all be best moments of the game. I have seen highlights that have left out some sparkling moments or acts of bravery that would have turned on an NRL fan. This is opportunity lost especially as the highlights go to YouTube. Speaking of YouTube how come it takes up to a week to get highlights on youtube, which is a far better format than the Swans or AFL Website. Would also like to see the replays of the games on YouTube and not an AFL TV as AFL TV stinks. It is a very crappy format and the only servers it covers are Explorer and Safari.

As trivial as it seems to the average supporter could it be a legal thing? Broadcasting rights etc?

No it is not. Trial matches are not televised and are not a pert of the package. Clubs have the right to film and show the games themselves. FOX is not interested in these games as they are not important to the season as far as points are concerned or as a showcase.

Geelong and North partnered up to have their practice match fully streamed online with professional camera work/working scoreboard and even had Huddo and some other guy commentating!

Isn't that great. They really care about promoting the game and their club. Swans take lesson because if we don't get better at promoting ourselves even winning premierships we will still be irrelevant or under promoted. To thrive in this environment we have to be far better than the other mob. We have to be world class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

seriously though. It was good a few years back with heaps of player hosted shows, etc. But now there's barely a whimper. The twitter account is horrible. Thought they might've told us who missed out for the practice match and said earlier that there would be no stream. It's 2014, not early 2000s. Get it together Swans Media!

If you want to find a scapegoat for the live stream you should blame the Lions. When Adelaide came to Blacktown to play GWS, it was the Giants who hosted the stream and the Crows website just embedded that YouTube link. I think it's a bit much to expect the away team to create such a setup at a foreign ground.

I expect the club wouldn't have a massive budget, technology is not really an issue as you can do a lot with a mobile phone, but as J_Moore said staffing might be an issue. The coverage of reserves games and trials in/around Sydney is generally ok, but not so good when the ressies have played interstate, for instance. They might not always be able to send a dedicated person to Brisbane or Canberra just to cover the match online. Fully agree with grimlock, for trials it would be up to the home team to host the stream.

Having said that SwansTV is not too bad, I agree twitter could be better and more interactive. But that is where forums like this come in, to fill the gap and give people a chance to interact, in a way it's better because we don't have to toe the club line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back