Preview Sydney Swans vs Essendon Bombers, Saturday, 7:40pm @ Gabba - Round 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melican played in the 2s on the weekend. Give a week or two to get up to speed and he’d be the next one in as cover.

Gould has looked no where near it to me.

Melican always takes weeks to find anything like form after an injury. Its why i would look to move on from him when his contract is up if he cant show an ability to stay fit and perform at the level expected.

Melican played in the 2s on the weekend. Give a week or two to get up to speed and he’d be the next one in as cover.

Yeah gould is a bust IMO.
Doesn't seem to have that AFL level hunger and intent.
Maybe its a swans thing... he may play better in SA.

Yeah gould is a bust IMO.
Doesn't seem to have that AFL level hunger and intent.
Maybe its a swans thing... he may play better in SA.
Yeah not sure what the team's plans are for Gould tbh. I think Pyke said in June that he will get at a game at the top level this year but nothing seems to stand out.

I agree on Gould. It's kinda surprising as he just looked like such a "sure thing" pre-draft, like even if he didn't go on to fulfil his Shannon Hurn/Dane Rampe-like potential, he'd at the very least be a solid player. That even that looks like a very borderline prospect right now is perplexing.

My one hope with him is that he came from the SANFL, and I don't subscribe to the theory that SANFL gives you any more readiness for the AFL than any other league or junior competition. In fact I think it's more the opposite. If Hewett and Dawson (who are both guns now but spent some time in the 2s before they were deemed "ready" for AFL) before Gould taught us anything, it's that it takes some time to un-learn some of the bad habits you can pick up from starring in the SANFL as a junior. But I guess the difference between Hewett and Dawson (and even Stephens) is that they at least showed plenty once on an AFL list playing in the reserves. Gould hasn't even shown that yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melican always takes weeks to find anything like form after an injury. Its why i would look to move on from him when his contract is up if he cant show an ability to stay fit and perform at the level expected.
Whilst true I still reckon he’d show more than Gould at this point. Hopefully it’s not an issue and Melican gets a few weeks minimum before it would need to be considered (and hopefully it won’t be needed at all).

Melican is also contracted until the end of 2023 so we have him for a while yet!

Theres going to be some serious channel changes Saturday night.

Don't mind the week off for Bud. All but guarantees goal 1000 won't come till next year now. Round 1 SCG v Hawthorn. Pencil it in. Crowd invasion incoming.

Whilst true I still reckon he’d show more than Gould at this point. Hopefully it’s not an issue and Melican gets a few weeks minimum before it would need to be considered (and hopefully it won’t be needed at all).

Melican is also contracted until the end of 2023 so we have him for a while yet!

Yeah I havent been impressed by Gould in the reserves. He looks like he is lacking any real confidence in his play and if he were a rookie player i think the expectation would be a delistment at the end of the year.
I just find Melican a frustrating player as he takes weeks (sometimes many weeks) to find form and then after playing a few good matches gets injured again (obviously not his fault) and the cycle repeats - thought his contract was up next year but at the very least he should be able to provide decent backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back