Autopsy Sydney vs Fremantle. Things you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else agree Mills tries to many risky kicks straight down the middle?
No it is really important we straighten up out of defence and take the corridor. He is playing to instructions. We used to overuse the ball in the backline which slowed our transition. The quicker we get the ball forward the greater the chance of one om ones with our forwards and then we score. We have a really fast forward line that is not a particularly high pack marking group. The quicker we get it to then the greater the chance they will score.

Why do I have to be kidding? He's gone missing in a few of these games and it isn't because he's a squib like Jetta was or Crappy can be. His frame is light and he gets bullied off the ball. He puts in a shift, gets stuck in.

It's like asking Harvey to be a tackling machine. Lloyd is good transition player and works hard down the wings. When he's lacking time and space he can go missing and he certainly isn't the best defensive player.
From Longmire's comments after the match he clearly thinks Lloyd is the preferred running defender. He kicks on both sides of his body, is quick and disposes of it really well. Against Carlton in difficult conditions he had 80% efficiency. He is in the backline to break the lines. He replaced a player who can only kick on his right side, doesn't run straight, constantly runs back towards the defensive goal, gives panicked handballs when trapped on his left side, is slow and cant take a contested mark. But does point with authority.

Great game, what a great win!! Woohoo!! :D

I thought we played well, better as the game went on but still not our brilliant best. The first quarter was a bit scary at 1/6 but we improved as the game went on and it may just have taken us some time to get used to the gale force winds. I didn't actually think we played out the last quarter... I thought we dropped off about half way through and were only playing at about half speed for the last 10 mins or so, hence the two late goals to Freo. (Did anyone else think this??) However I do think it might have been a turnaround game, one that will give us faith that are the best, and can beat the rest... so I'm expecting a pick up in form and some big wins over the last few games.

Smith (the quiet achiever) was once again a rock! and Rampe just keeps getting better (definitely AA imo)... Grundy, Allir, Mills were again excellent in defence... together they are an impassable wall! (Does anyone have stats on how many teams have scored 100 against us recently?) Mills definitely has the Rising Star in his pocket, and also should make the squad for AA if not the team!

JPK... as always, elite!! BOG imo. The rest of the mids played well in support, with Mitchell having an electric third quarter.

Naismith is a find and will be our #1 Ruck in the future, he played a breakout game imo and we will see a lot more of him all over the field in future. I cannot see why you all prefer Nankervis over Sinclair??? He's not nearly as mobile or fit, he's not a good kick or mark... what is it about him that is so much better than Sinclair??:huh:

Tippet injured his hamstring, not his knee, so he will come back to ruck imo. It's purely a matter of how underdone he is on return as to how much time he spends there.

PS. Against my better judgement, I'm asking: SBD Gonzalez Why do you call Heeney 'Fetish?? Ticky009 Who is Chande and why?

From Longmire's comments after the match he clearly thinks Lloyd is the preferred running defender. He kicks on both sides of his body, is quick and disposes of it really well. Against Carlton in difficult conditions he had 80% efficiency. He is in the backline to break the lines. He replaced a player who can only kick on his right side, doesn't run straight, constantly runs back towards the defensive goal, gives panicked handballs when trapped on his left side, is slow and cant take a contested mark. But does point with authority.
Lloyd was good under pressure against the dogs when he ran around in circles then kicked it to bont
All got his ass handed to him by hill and struggled against the Hawks when the pressure was up

Great game, what a great win!! Woohoo!! :D

I thought we played well, better as the game went on but still not our brilliant best. The first quarter was a bit scary at 1/6 but we improved as the game went on and it may just have taken us some time to get used to the gale force winds. I didn't actually think we played out the last quarter... I thought we dropped off about half way through and were only playing at about half speed for the last 10 mins or so, hence the two late goals to Freo. (Did anyone else think this??) However I do think it might have been a turnaround game, one that will give us faith that are the best, and can beat the rest... so I'm expecting a pick up in form and some big wins over the last few games.

Smith (the quiet achiever) was once again a rock! and Rampe just keeps getting better (definitely AA imo)... Grundy, Allir, Mills were again excellent in defence... together they are an impassable wall! (Does anyone have stats on how many teams have scored 100 against us recently?) Mills definitely has the Rising Star in his pocket, and also should make the squad for AA if not the team!

JPK... as always, elite!! BOG imo. The rest of the mids played well in support, with Mitchell having an electric third quarter.

Naismith is a find and will be our #1 Ruck in the future, he played a breakout game imo and we will see a lot more of him all over the field in future. I cannot see why you all prefer Nankervis over Sinclair??? He's not nearly as mobile or fit, he's not a good kick or mark... what is it about him that is so much better than Sinclair??:huh:

Tippet injured his hamstring, not his knee, so he will come back to ruck imo. It's purely a matter of how underdone he is on return as to how much time he spends there.

PS. Against my better judgement, I'm asking: SBD Gonzalez Why do you call Heeney 'Fetish?? Ticky009 Who is Chande and why?

There should be a nicknames thread so we can reference who the hell anyone is talking about at any given time. Crappy? Fawlty? I'm lost.

I know the SCG's size is exaggerated in comparison to other grounds, but it is smaller no doubt about that. At Simmonds, we were stringing together some good chain passages through the middle and we used the corridor pretty well because it suited our style. Similarly, Domain is pretty wide, and we often used the wings to run short, sharp chains of possessions inside 50.
Kardinia Park is one of the smallest grounds in the competition in terms of ground area and Subiaco is 14m narrower than the SCG (20m longer). Even the largest regularly used ground in the competition - the MCG - is only 5m wider and 5m longer. The ground size is pretty irrelevant.

I think we've struggled at the SCG because we've played in-form teams like Hawthorn and the Dogs who pressured us hard. Against Fremantle our attack looked good because we had a better forward structure in place, and we looked to lower the eyes and kick to advantage rather than bombing on our forwards' heads. Obviously the weaker opposition helps in this regard.

1. My only concern about our ruck stocks at the moment is their tanks. Against Carlton it was really noticeable at the end of each quarter how absolutely spent both Sinclair and Naismith were. There were a couple of great chases yesterday by both Naismith and Nankervis that pressured Freo players off their kicks, but there were other times when they didn't bother to chase at all or in one case to put up even a token shepherd after handballing to another Swan. That'll come, but it's a little concerned coming into the finals where Tippett won't be at full fitness (if he is back).

2. Back six looks very solid at the moment and I'm struggling to see who Laidler/Jones/Ted would squeeze out. I think I said it earlier in the season as well, but Mills should be our long-term halfback flanker. Heven regularly destroys his opponent, but then also starts so many of our attacking runs. In the Bob Murphy / Heather Shaw mould and is worth more to us there than in midfield rotations.

3. Heeney/Richards/Rohan rotating through the half-forward line has given Buddy a lot more room to move. Yes, his overhead marking isn't good enough, but he got so many more opportunities with a forward line structure that actually works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else agree Mills tries to many risky kicks straight down the middle?
I don't know what his stats are in terms of efficiency, but to me he's a beautiful kick of the ball, he's composed and he shows excellent judgement. He's already better than Shaw ever was in terms of kicks out of defence.

In short, I love watching the kid play, he is something special.

I don't know what his stats are in terms of efficiency, but to me he's a beautiful kick of the ball, he's composed and he shows excellent judgement. He's already better than Shaw ever was in terms of kicks out of defence.

He is also going to take mark of the year one day...love the way he attacks the footy in the air!

Imo it is a very underrated kick... has pretty good distance, but it is so penetrating...he gets the ball where it needs to be with a certain ferocity

I don't think we can take papley into finals. I like the kid, but don't think he's ready for the big time just yet.

Would love to be proved wrong and have him make some crucial plays, but I think the more realistic outcome would be for him to go missing and mess up some critical passages of play.

Problem is, who replaces him? I do think think benny is up to it anymore. He would have been the likely replacement, but hasn't been able to contribute consistently given his age and experience.

Hard to take anything out of the performance when it was against a team that has won 3 matches. Infuriating we conceded two late goals. That percentage was pivotal.... Port - STK - Norf - Richmond. Can't see any percentage boosters there. Glad there were no injuries though.

Hard to take anything out of the performance when it was against a team that has won 3 matches. Infuriating we conceded two late goals. That percentage was pivotal.... Port - STK - Norf - Richmond. Can't see any percentage boosters there. Glad there were no injuries though.

That was Aliir Aliir's fault that Pav kicked those two goals on him.
He should be dropped next week for that p.ss weak effort.

I don't think we can take papley into finals. I like the kid, but don't think he's ready for the big time just yet.

Would love to be proved wrong and have him make some crucial plays, but I think the more realistic outcome would be for him to go missing and mess up some critical passages of play.

Problem is, who replaces him? I do think think benny is up to it anymore. He would have been the likely replacement, but hasn't been able to contribute consistently given his age and experience.
I really like what Papley brings to our side. I'd love for him to also be kicking 3 goals a game, but we need to remember he's a first year player coming off the rookie list. His forward pressure is excellent and means we're not just relying on Rohan to press in the forward 50. Even though he doesn't rack up huge numbers - when he plays, we look a better forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back