Sydney's record in grand finals needs scrutinising

Remove this Banner Ad

So what do you think is the real reason that non vic teams have a disadvantage in the last 5 or so years? Before that you guys won your fair share
I think a small part has to do with grass roots footy.

Put it this way....

How much money is out pumped into the VFL and the TAC/NAB cup? A fair bit.

The AFL pumps 40-50 million a year in NSW and Queensland footy. Compared that to SA and WA? Only a paltry 1 million.

Put it this way.... Go look at the crows 1997-8 Premiership sides. How many south Australians and Victorians were in that squad?

Then look at the crows 2017 AFL Grand final side and look how many Victorians are there.

I may have misquoted my own figures and got wires crossed between runners up and winners

West Coast (92)
West Coast (94)
Adelaide (97)
Adelaide (98)
Brisbane (01)
Brisbane (02)
Brisbane (03)
Port Adelaide (04)
Sydney (05)
West Coast (06)
Sydney (12)
West Coast (18)

All victorious.

West Coast 91
Sydney 96
Port Adelaide 03
Brisbane 04
West Coast 05
Sydney 06
Port Adelaide 07
Fremantle 13
Sydney 14
West Coast 15
Sydney 16
Adelaide 17
GWS 19
Sydney 22

26 out of 64 grand finalists have been from interstate and at no stage have interstate sides had 50 per cent representation across the competition
Port didn't play in a grand final In 2003. It was Brisbane vs magpies. Other than that, everything is accurate.

The most damning thing from 2010 onwards was Freo has been the most competitive vs the Victorian side. And out of all the Victorian sides in the last 10 years, hawks 19-3 side in 2013 is arguably the best one

I've mentioned this in another thread, in that it goes without saying that Sydney's performance in the grand final was unlike anything we'd seen from them all year.

It's almost like having to travel interstate and sleep in hotel rooms for both the grand final parade and grand final itself prove to be significantly disruptive to the preparation schedule of a professional football side.
And yet when forced to travel and sleep in hotel rooms for majority of the season the Vic teams filled the interstate Grand Finals.

Weird.

I think a small part has to do with grass roots footy.

Put it this way....

How much money is out pumped into the VFL and the TAC/NAB cup? A fair bit.

The AFL pumps 40-50 million a year in NSW and Queensland footy. Compared that to SA and WA? Only a paltry 1 million.

Put it this way.... Go look at the crows 1997-8 Premiership sides. How many south Australians and Victorians were in that squad?

Then look at the crows 2017 AFL Grand final side and look how many Victorians are there.
I agree with your assertion that SA/WA quality has dropped in the last 10 years or so. I’m in SA and can 💯 back you up on that.

I’m not sure the ratio of crows/power SA born and bred versus Victorian right. All I know is crows are struggling and power can’t seem to get it right even though they’ve had the team to do it.

It’s a vicious cycle though. The stronger Victorian clubs like pies, tigers and cats get the more lucrative and tempting offers will come the way of decent players interstate. Particularly those looking for a flag.

I agree with your assertion that SA/WA quality has dropped in the last 10 years or so. I’m in SA and can 💯 back you up on that.

I’m not sure the ratio of crows/power SA born and bred versus Victorian right. All I know is crows are struggling and power can’t seem to get it right even though they’ve had the team to do it.

It’s a vicious cycle though. The stronger Victorian clubs like pies, tigers and cats get the more lucrative and tempting offers will come the way of decent players interstate. Particularly those looking for a flag.
I live in South Australia too.

I will say this... Geelong isnt a Big town/city with a massive population... But that Geelong Falcons side produces many young players.

And yet when forced to travel and sleep in hotel rooms for majority of the season the Vic teams filled the interstate Grand Finals.

Weird.
You wernt the only ones in hotels we all did it bar brizzy and gc

And you didnt travel - you got there and stayed for weeks at a time.

As did we

I honestly don't know which way to swing with that. How incredible is Joel Selwood and how ******* pathetic are St Kilda?

If you want a fun fact, St Kilda have the worst record of any professional sporting team on planet Earth.

Actually St Kilda is the most unsuccessful professional top division sports team in any sport, in any country, in the history of earth.

I've said this twice before and challenged anyone to disprove the claim by providing a worse example - nobody has been able to. The benchmarks are least championships won per year (1/118) and most last-placed finishes per year (27/118 or almost 1 in 4). Try for a team that has existed for more than 20 years (IE not a team that started last year and finished last once for 100% wooden spoon rate).

Some examples of unsuccessful challengers are:

Sacramento Kings (the most wooden spoons of any NBA franchise, but far less often than St Kilda, and 1 championship in far less seasons)
Arizona Cardinals (most wooden spoons in the NFL, but far less often than St Kilda and they've won 2 championships)
Chicago Cubs (yeah they went over a hundred years without winning, but still have more championships than St Kilda and far less wooden spoons)
Western Suburbs Magpies (managed to rack up an impressive 17 spoons, but that's still way behind St Kilda, and they won 4 premierships)
Cardiff City (absolute debacle of a soccer club but they have finished last a lot less often and actually managed to win an FA cup)

Good analysis. Tigers on paper were a pretty good side from 1994 to 2001. Bowden, Broderick, Gaspar, Daffy, Kellaway were all fine contributors too.

Richmond used to have the wood over Collingwood most of the time during that period. Our lowest score during AFL era (ex 2020) was 4.12 against Richmond in 1994.

They definitely underachieved and should have made the finals comfortably in nearly each of those years.

Again... as you mentioned.... Bowden, Broderick, Gaspar, Daffy and Kellaway were solid players. Would of been nice if Richmond made finals in 1994-6 and 2000-1. A solid 5 year period from 1990-2001 would of been nice to look back on.

Had richmond made finals in 2000, Richmond would of likely beaten the 5th placed cats. Had the tigers got 8th in 2006, they would of faced the 5th placed magpies who they beat by 47 points at the mcg that year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always wondered why the media haven't been on Richmond's case for only winning 3 premierships in the last 42 years, where is the outrage? The analysis? David King, are you there?
3 flags in the AFL era 1990 - 2022, how the Blooz travelling there ? in the AFL era ? &...AND
10 flags in the VFL era 1897 - 1989 ( not gonna mention the 1 0r 2 lost becos of that challenge palava early part last century:cool:) afterall we couldnt
appear to be one of the most successful clubs of the past 115 years now could we ;) cant be havin that

3 flags in the AFL era 1990 - 2022, how the Blooz travelling there ? in the AFL era ? &...AND
10 flags in the VFL era 1897 - 1989 ( not gonna mention the 1 0r 2 lost becos of that challenge palava early part last century:cool:) afterall we couldnt
appear to be one of the most successful clubs of the past 115 years now could we ;) cant be havin that
giphy.gif

Good analysis. Tigers on paper were a pretty good side from 1994 to 2001. Bowden, Broderick, Gaspar, Daffy, Kellaway were all fine contributors too.

Richmond used to have the wood over Collingwood most of the time during that period. Our lowest score during AFL era (ex 2020) was 4.12 against Richmond in 1994.

They definitely underachieved and should have made the finals comfortably in nearly each of those years.
Multiple coaching changes in that era really hurt Richmond

Typical Richmond classless-ness....b1tchy and miserable because their own team is too busy r00ting each others wives and full of ‘criminal identities.....

Try examining a genuine failure of a team - Collingwood, has won 2 out of 12 over 50 years....or 1 out of 4 in the last 20.

Looking fwd to you coming 9th next year .....AGAIN.
WELL SAID. Stab their mothers for their gold teeth.

******* complete campaigners, most of them.

Nobody respects the team, or the supporters. Never saw that bitch Cotchin get applauded like the Cats fans applauded Rampe. A class waaay above.
The whole BF.com is full of attention-seeking trolls atm - this thread should be taken down.....until a Swans supporter posts it as an footy issue.

A Richmond troll posting it is the height of disingenuousness - nothing like winning 3 out of the last 6 after a break of 40 years to build up the bravado.......and they called Carlton supporters arrogant....
R U OK?

Take that up with the legend who runs AFL Tables. Guy has contributed more to football statistics than you or I ever will.
I always thought Brisbane Lions were Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy merged eg. one club.

It's confusing like Port Power and Port Magpies being two separate clubs.

I always thought Brisbane Lions were Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy merged eg. one club.

It's confusing like Port Power and Port Magpies being two separate clubs.

Fitzroy still exist in VAFA, lions and bears did not merge.

The roys were cornered, co erced, forced whatever term you want to use to surrender their AFL licence and Brisbane were able to adopt the lion moniker - hence the Brisbane lions.

Roylion will correct me if I'm wrong here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back