Sydney's record in grand finals needs scrutinising

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if mentioned earlier in thread but Sydney are often a team that performs above its station. This is a compliment. Their culture and mentality lifts average talent to perform above themselves. I loved LRT as a player for example but he was a v limited footballer. So to win the 2 they’ve won is v commendable. But sometimes the committed ensemble comes up against a vastly more talented team and falls short. 2016 was perhaps the one where their talent was equal to or superior to their opposition. But on the flip side their wins against WC and Haw were nice little steals imo.

Rather lose as many grand finals as Collingwood than win as many spoons as St Kilda

Nah. Spoons you already know you're s**t. Losing a granny you think you're not s**t for a brief moment then have to head to Harvey Norman for a new TV
I saw us in 2020 and knew we were s**t. We were winning at half time and even then I knew we would lose.

I would rather get 119d than not be 119d at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This argument is as dumb as dogshit.
The Swans have won two grand finals against teams they probably should have lost to (West Coast and Hawthorn), have lost two against teams they should have beaten (Hawthorn and Bulldogs) and lost two against teams they had every right to lose to (West Coast and Geelong).

If a side finished first four years running and kept losing to sides that finished well below them, yeah I would think that they are suspect in pressure games.

When a side who has rotated through several generations of players, sporadically but just regularly enough makes grand finals, and wins/loses them in differing circumstances, it means nothing.

Geelong’s record in the 1989-1995 era is four GF’s for 4 defeats. Three of them happened to be against sides that finished 3, 3 and 4 wins ahead of us in the regular season. In 1992 we finished first - half a game ahead of WCE.
So yeah we didn’t win a title. We also had every reason not to in three of those seasons and the other was virtually 50-50.

Just making grand finals doesn’t dictate that you should be perpetually winning them

Fremantle 0 and 1, 0% success rate
GWS 0 and 1, 0% success rate
St Kilda 1 and 6, 14.28% success rate
Sydney 5 and 13, 27.77% success rate
Collingwood 16 and 27, 37.20% success rate
North 4 and 5, 44.44% success rate
Dogs 2 and 2, 50% success rate
Port 1 and 1, 50% success rate
Geelong 10 and 10, 50% success rate
Richmond 13 and 12, 52% success rate
Essendon 16 and 14, 53.33% success rate
Carlton 16 and 13, 55.17% success rate
West Coast 4 and 3, 57.14% success rate
Brisbane 3 and 2, 60% success rate
Fitzroy 8 and 5, 61.53% success rate
Adelaide 2 and 1, 66.66% success rate
Hawthorn 13 and 6, 68.42% success rate
Melbourne 13 and 5, 72.22% success rate

The Swans have won two grand finals against teams they probably should have lost to (West Coast and Hawthorn), have lost two against teams they should have beaten (Hawthorn and Bulldogs) and lost two against teams they had every right to lose to (West Coast and Geelong).

If a side finished first four years running and kept losing to sides that finished well below them, yeah I would think that they are suspect in pressure games.

When a side who has rotated through several generations of players, sporadically but just regularly enough makes grand finals, and wins/loses them in differing circumstances, it means nothing.

Geelong’s record in the 1989-1995 era is four GF’s for 4 defeats. Three of them happened to be against sides that finished 3, 3 and 4 wins ahead of us in the regular season. In 1992 we finished first - half a game ahead of WCE.
So yeah we didn’t win a title. We also had every reason not to in three of those seasons and the other was virtually 50-50.

Just making grand finals doesn’t dictate that you should be perpetually winning them
Agree. Winning GFs is all about luck on the day. This year it went our way. A one off event doesn't determine who is better.

We have lost GFs because we peaked in years when there were super sides. 02 and 03 Brisbane, who I still think is the greatest team to ever play. In 2011 to Geelong, who are not far behind the Brisbane of 01-04.

Sydney have also lost to super sides such as West Coast in 2006 and Hawthorn of 2013. Sides like Richmond were lucky to peak in weak years of 2017 and 2019.

Losing a GF though is a hell of a lot better than a miserable season finishing with the wooden spoon, indicating a future of a long wait to get to play finals.

Agree. Winning GFs is all about luck on the day. This year it went our way. A one off event doesn't determine who is better.

We have lost GFs because we peaked in years when there were super sides. 02 and 03 Brisbane, who I still think is the greatest team to ever play. In 2011 to Geelong, who are not far behind the Brisbane of 01-04.

Sydney have also lost to super sides such as West Coast in 2006 and Hawthorn of 2013. Sides like Richmond were lucky to peak in weak years of 2017 and 2019.

Losing a GF though is a hell of a lot better than a miserable season finishing with the wooden spoon, indicating a future of a long wait to get to play finals.

100 per cent.

Sounds similar to arguments used by LeBron James fan boys.. trying to argue that LeBron James is better than Michael Jordan!

Getting to a Prelim let alone a Grand Final is very tough. It's highly competitive. Most clubs strive for a flag but getting to a Prelim alone has significant financial benefits. A losing GF record imo isn't worth of scrutiny. Getting there is in itself a "success". IMO the scrutiny should be on teams that never or rarely get to Prelims and Grand Finals. At least Sydney gets there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back