T20 World Cup Day 19 3/11. Pakistan v South Africa 1830hrs @ the SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

A good win for Pakistan but they probably still won't make the semis as they need the Netherlands or Zimbabwe to cause an upset against SA or India.

Only have themselves to blame for losing to Zimbabwe

A good win for Pakistan but they probably still won't make the semis as they need the Netherlands or Zimbabwe to cause an upset against SA or India.

They also need to beat Bangladesh which won't be easy as India found out last night, knowing them it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped that game.

It'll be a feisty match. Bangas won't give in easily.

Only have themselves to blame for losing to Zimbabwe

Yeah you can't afford to drop a game to Zimbabwe and expect to make the semis, once they lost that game it was always going to be tough for them.

The other semi final teams will be relieved to see them miss out as they are a dangerous team that's capable of beating anyone as they showed tonight.

Is anyone a fan of this format of top 2 teams from a group of 6 nations?

Id prefer them to use a system where you reward the top 3 teams in each group to progress to the next stage.

Winners of the group straight to the semi final, and 2nd , 3rd placed teams to face each other in a 1 off knock out to make the semi each. Just take into account bad weather etc. You also don't want format like 1999 ODI World Cup where points carry through from previous stage.

Id prefer them to use a system where you reward the top 3 teams in each group to progress to the next stage.

Winners of the group straight to the semi final, and 2nd , 3rd placed teams to face each other in a 1 off knock out to make the semi each. Just take into account bad weather etc. You also don't want format like 1999 ODI World Cup where points carry through from previous stage.
Yeah it does seem lopsided having so many group games and then only 3 knock out finals. I'd add the 2 extra.
Fifa world cups really only start after the group matches.

Yeah it does seem lopsided having so many group games and then only 3 knock out finals. I'd add the 2 extra.
Fifa world cups really only start after the group matches.
Personally think having a cut off of 50% of teams from group stages to progress to Finals is fair. At the same time you also want to reward a team finishing 1st as well.

And what has shown in this World Cup is weather has had a big role to play. Obviously another 2 games in the Finals is more money for organisers and gives another potential game to another city? eg a Brisbane, Perth, Hobart, possibly even a Canberra . Those cities would more than welcome that additional game.

Personally think having a cut off of 50% of teams from group stages to progress to Finals is fair. At the same time you also want to reward a team finishing 1st as well.

And what has shown in this World Cup is weather has had a big role to play. Obviously another 2 games in the Finals is more money for organisers and gives another potential game to another city? eg a Brisbane, Perth, Hobart, possibly even a Canberra . Those cities would more than welcome that additional game.
I'd scrap the whole micky mouse first round group matches and just have 2 groups of 8. Yes there would be s**t games including Oman, Scotland ect but won't drag on as much.
7 games then top 4 of ea group play QF, SF then F. Similar to the 50 over format.

I'd scrap the whole micky mouse first round group matches and just have 2 groups of 8. Yes there would ne s**t games including Oman, Scotland ect but won't drag on as much.
7 games then top 4 of ea group play QF, SF then F. Similar to the 50 over format.
Alot of threads, social media posts alone, tend to agree with you.

Ill be interested in the format in the US/Carribbean in 2024 with 20 teams.

You would imagine it would 4 groups x 5 teams. Then straight to the quarter finals. This current tournament in 2022 has 45 games.

Under my proposed method in 2024, it would be 47 games.

You would imagine it would 4 groups x 5 teams. Then straight to the quarter finals. This current tournament in 2022 has 45 games.

Way too much. Out of 45 games only 3 knock-out games is poor.

Way too much. Out of 45 games only 3 knock-out games is poor.
Under the 2024 method

4 Groups of 5 teams

Each group would have 10 games. 10 games x 4= 40 round robin games

4 quarter finals, 2 semi finals, 1 Final

I think its a pretty fair number, slight increase in games compared to the 2022 tournament.

Also under that format you pretty much are likely to play every team at least and most probably once, so in a way its like a cut throat. Under the 2022 format, having 2 strong teams in the same pool eg South Africa and India, each team would have got a feel in the round robin, and you know deep down, they could potentially meet again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* it’s going to suck Timezone wise in the US. This home World Cup is great

Acutally this is quote from Wikipedia for 2024 T20 World Cup

"

Format[edit]​

The 20 qualified teams will be divided into four groups of five, from which the top two teams in each group will advance to the Super-8 round. In this stage, the remaining teams will be divided in two groups of four; the top-two teams from each group will qualify for the knock-out stage, which will consist of two semi-finals and a final.[citation needed]

Teams and qualifications"​

So that means , it would be 40+ 12+ 2+1=55 games.

No thanks. Just makes the tournament go needlessly longer. Top 2 is fine it’s what works in every t20 league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back