Autopsy Tale of two halves vs. Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Lazz was fine, surprised he was subbed over Stephens/CCJ.
13 touches, 4 clearances and used the ball pretty well.

Lack of pressure in the middle when they got on top was evident, couldn't lay a glove on them, Will Phil would have helped in this area.

Umpiring was diabolical.

Our forward line is missing someone who can take a big pack mark and a genuine crumber.

It's a lethal combo.
I said so many times "Who is down". We need someone to be at the fall of the players feet if they miss a mark. We also need to stop kicking it to Larkey every, single, time. Bring in Sellers to play forward and Chom to replace Corr if he is now playing defence.

I’m willing to buy the whole ran out of juice thing. But to finish the last quarter some what decently for the past two weeks tells me that you can play 3.25 quarters of footy. So what’s the deal? Leadership? Not enough people trying?

I still saw Duursma, McKercher, Powell and Wardlaw giving their all towards the end.

I can’t say the same for the senior cohort. Zuurhar, Larkey, Stephenson, Tucker, Stephens, Scott, McDonald, Simpkin - where was the will to drag your team through that spell?
I was sitting infront of the bench and from what I saw, we undoubtedly ran way more rotations in the third quarter

3. Sheez
2. LDU
1. I dunno, Toby Pink?
Powell
HM Toby, Fisher, Lazz (I know but I did think he didn’t give up the game when others did) & Scott

I’m willing to buy the whole ran out of juice thing. But to finish the last quarter some what decently for the past two weeks tells me that you can play 3.25 quarters of footy. So what’s the deal? Leadership? Not enough people trying?

I still saw Duursma, McKercher, Powell and Wardlaw giving their all towards the end.

I can’t say the same for the senior cohort. Zuurhar, Larkey, Stephenson, Tucker, Stephens, Scott, McDonald, Simpkin - where was the will to drag your team through that spell?
Stephenson we saw a Jekl and Hyde performance
Zurhaar needed to be in the middle
Larkey had his least impactful game in months
Tucker did his role
Simpkin I assume was a bit under
Stephens was ordinary
Scott was pretty good all game
McDonald shouldn’t have been straight back in

Gonna guess but Clarko said, let’s see how the young boys keep it up

The first 45-50 minutes was some of the most exhilarating football I've seen from our club for a decade or more, a couple of dropped marks and missed shots kept the Dockers in the game early on, and a few confusing umpiring decisions (that I don't understand) also played a part, perhaps with a little luck we could have been 8-9 goals in front midway through the second quarter and perhaps the Dockers don't have the will to fightback, but instead, Fremantle were able to turn the momentum their way and our third quarter was as terrible as anything we have produced in the last five seasons. I was happy to see that we fought back in the fourth and didn't get blown away, but it would be nice to start turning some of these "honourable losses" into wins.

Because it's only round two I'm going to make the assumption that youth and a lack of experience played a large part in our falling away and over the course of the season the 40+ point shlacking we received in the third quarter will be an anomaly and not a regular occurrence. Despite the defeat there were a lot of things to like today.

• Powell's performance today was even better than last week, this needs to be his new normal because he has some much talent and great vision.
  • Wardlaw was our best four quarter player, an absolute beast in the middle and runs himself ragged all day.
  • Pink had a better game today, still made a few mistakes but it was a big improvement on last week.
  • LDU was unstoppable in the first half, Freo couldn't contain him, unfortunately he was quieter in the third as the whole team fell away.
  • Xerri was very good, won the battle against Jackson in the first half, but Jackson dominated the second and Freo rode his coattails.
  • The run from the backline in the first half was breathtaking to watch, it was so exciting to see the ball in hands of creative halfbacks like Sheezel, McKercher and Fisher who are so clean with their disposals. We should have converted more of our chances in the first half but there is still a bit of disconnect between our mids and forwards with too many forward 50 entries either intercepted or kicked to a contest.

Powell
HM Toby, Fisher, Lazz (I know but I did think he didn’t give up the game when others did) & Scott

Tucker did his role
Stephens was ordinary

Agree
Yes
Happens to often Needs support …..
Jury still out for me
Why did we bring him back straight in ..l get the feel good idea…but go via twos.
Yep
He was….in a shellacked part of the feild
Made a rookie move giving up 50 / goal…although commentary team thought maybe stiff…and see same point for jye

I’ll have a stab ..Run outta gas…but boy look at what we can do….need 4=quarters
Time for a 🍺

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first 45-50 minutes was some of the most exhilarating football I've seen from our club for a decade or more, a couple of dropped marks and missed shots kept the Dockers in the game early on, and a few confusing umpiring decisions (that I don't understand) also played a part, perhaps with a little luck we could have been 8-9 goals in front midway through the second quarter and perhaps the Dockers don't have the will to fightback, but instead, Fremantle were able to turn the momentum their way and our third quarter was as terrible as anything we have produced in the last five seasons. I was happy to see that we fought back in the fourth and didn't get blown away, but it would be nice to start turning some of these "honourable losses" into wins.

Because it's only round two I'm going to make the assumption that youth and a lack of experience played a large part in our falling away and over the course of the season the 40+ point shlacking we received in the third quarter will be an anomaly and not a regular occurrence. Despite the defeat there were a lot of things to like today.

• Powell's performance today was even better than last week, this needs to be his new normal because he has some much talent and great vision.
  • Wardlaw was our best four quarter player, an absolute beast in the middle and runs himself ragged all day.
  • Pink had a better game today, still made a few mistakes but it was a big improvement on last week.
  • LDU was unstoppable in the first half, Freo couldn't contain him, unfortunately he was quieter in the third as the whole team fell away.
  • Xerri was very good, won the battle against Jackson in the first half, but Jackson dominated the second and Freo rode his coattails.
  • The run from the backline in the first half was breathtaking to watch, it was so exciting to see the ball in hands of creative halfbacks like Sheezel, McKercher and Fisher who are so clean with their disposals. We should have converted more of our chances in the first half but there is still a bit of disconnect between our mids and forwards with too many forward 50 entries either intercepted or kicked to a contest.

This…but lm frustrated at the drop off……..time for a break drink and onto next week 🍺👏

They had 44 inside 50s and scored 27 times. That is a laughable (at us) conversion rate.

It’s on the individual defenders, it’s on the (not enough) numbers back and it’s on the coaching. Just horrible. And anyone arguing against Corr being the first one out of there is absolutely kidding themselves. Has been there the longest and has been consistently poor with one of the lowest football IQ’s i’ve ever seen at the club.
I was waiting for a post that targeted the defenders.

In Q1 there were some really decent efforts but the defence fell apart in Q3.

Early, when there was some pace in the game the defence were holding up and they made some very precise movements to clear the ball and set up attacks.

A few times in the 3rd it almost appeared like they had too much time to think when the opposition were passing the ball back and forth. North's defence lost structure - players were pointing to others to indicate position but then running to the same spot, often leaving multiple forwards open.

Frustrating af as we could have had the game iced at half time with smarter play and better kicking.

Lack of onfield leadership when they got a run on really bad, though Jy, Scott and Wardlaw did their best. Tucker also did his best to keep us in it in the third.

Larkey had a shocker. Curtis great. Zane’s marking is huge.

Some exhilarating play but also some real concerns about how badly we dropped off when they turned it up a notch. Is it a standard young group showing what they can be and then not adjusting when challenged buy a more experienced side? Dunno.

Fine with Clarko not changing much, need the players to take responsibility.

Lazz and CCJ have to go.

Jackson killed xerri early in way of HO/HO to advantage, but I was impressed that he read that early and at least tried to half the contest and act as another mid once it went to ground

Powell

Tucker did his role
Stephens was ordinary

But again it sounds like the age bracket of leaders just weren’t up to it, and all had an excuse? The amount of loose men running around and no one taking ownership was crazy.

boy i couldn’t wait to get out of there in the last quarter! what an absolute stinker of a second half compared to how we played in the first half. that’s what makes it even more disappointing. we had them on the ropes in that first half and we come out the second half doing our best impression of how we’ve played for the last 3-4 years.

wardlaw looked really good today, curtis started well too. larkey was soo off today unfortunately which didn’t help. 80 point thrashing incoming next week with dawson and pink on mckay and curnow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back