Autopsy Tale of two halves vs. Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you ever seen a league football team with such little aerial presence?. Someone take a ******* pack mark. We are still lacking in so many areas.

Some good individual performances but jeez when it turned we crumbled as a unit. Seriously not good enough.

If CCJ plays again I’ll tear my own eyes out. ENOUGH.

I was waiting for a post that targeted the defenders.

In Q1 there were some really decent efforts but the defence fell apart in Q3.

Early, when there was some pace in the game the defence were holding up and they made some very precise movements to clear the ball and set up attacks.

A few times in the 3rd it almost appeared like they had too much time to think when the opposition were passing the ball back and forth. North's defence lost structure - players were pointing to others to indicate position but then running to the same spot, often leaving multiple forwards open.
Decent post.

They played like a team who knew where and when to run to assist each other.

We played like a side where the defensive structure is not bedded down and key parts are still learning what to do.

Our defensive synergy will grow throughout the year.

Griff getting back will be significant.

TurnoverMerchant 10 goals in a row isn't young team syndrome, it's capitulation. Our floor is still the Mariana trench. Last year I was anticipating that, this year it shouldn't be the ******* case. How many ******* preseasons need to happen before players are able to combat adversity in-game? It's deplorable, and until it changes, we're going to have to rely on opposition stuff ups to win games rather than doing it off our own back

Sounds like you need a bit of a break. Maybe don’t go to Good Friday if this is how you react?

As bad as that second half was, i couldn't help but think what might have been if not for LMac stupid 50m to Jackson for a certain goal when Larkey dropped that sitter in the last. We wouldve only been down 2 goals with over 9min left (mark was dropped with 10 to go).
Id like to put the second half of the 2nd quarter down to running out of puff, but we didnt fire a shot at all in the 3rd. I dont know why, but after the good start we had so many blokes letting the ball get behind them when attacking ground balls. You just have to take it with you even if its only to be tackled. Let it get past just opens play for them with extra numbers and we paid heavily for it.

I was waiting for a post that targeted the defenders.

In Q1 there were some really decent efforts but the defence fell apart in Q3.

Early, when there was some pace in the game the defence were holding up and they made some very precise movements to clear the ball and set up attacks.

A few times in the 3rd it almost appeared like they had too much time to think when the opposition were passing the ball back and forth. North's defence lost structure - players were pointing to others to indicate position but then running to the same spot, often leaving multiple forwards open.
Who was right on this one? McKercher trying to man up on Walter’s but McDonald pointing back telling him to go to the taller forward, was it Fredrick? While he took Walter’s. I’m assuming Luke was naturally right but it seemed like a mismatch either way

Larkey needs another power forward ,

The blizkrieg atm cannot be susstained

Quallity players like sering are never out of the game for long.

Talent and skill can get you a leadbit only hard work fitness and effort can sustain it.

Iam not to bothered by the result as we are 4 or 6 players off a side that will compete but sheesh i got early 90s feelings looking at the talent base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you ever seen a league football team with such little aerial presence?. Someone take a ******* pack mark. We are still lacking in so many areas.

Some good individual performances but jeez when it turned we crumbled as a unit. Seriously not good enough.

If CCJ plays again I’ll tear my own eyes out. ENOUGH.
I’m all for the CCJ hate but I think it has to be equally shared with Larkey. I’ve only seen him jump an inch of the ground hoping for perfect placement above his head. Other than that, I did not see him run and attack a ball.

1st quarter and a half, we were able to generate many repeat inside 50s by making it hard for Freo to clear the ball through effort and pressure. We also intercepted well of half back, then linked up with run.

At the ground, we could clearly see the side run out of legs later in the 2nd. We couldn't run it out of defence any more or apply pressure and so Freo moved it with ease across the ground leaving the defence exposed. We also couldn't link up in waves anymore and so kicked it long but our forwards couldn't take a grab and we have no crumbers. No more repeat entries.

More of the same in the 3rd but we also got smashed at centre clearances. The side looked as young as it is and Freo mature and strong. Disappointing that it was so comprehensive and that our older players didn't lift in that 40 minutes.

No. Needs a partner in crime.
Obviously wouldn't hurt, but also just needs to impose himself on to a pack.

Never looks close to clunking an actual pack mark, and so much of our gameplan seems to involve kicking it to him in a contest.

Nearly as disappointing a loss as I can recall...and there's many to pick from. And oddly, it's because we played so well. For 50 minutes.

Ball movement was slick, forward entries clean, defence held up, strong in the contest, hit the scoreboard and even a bit of razzle dazzle. And Wardlaw. Whoa. The best and most exciting football NMFC has played in 5 years.

So for all that to turn to s**t and a regulation loss is pretty sad. They kicked 9.9 to 0.1 at one stage. We actually didn't do enough through this stage to qualify as bad. The centre clearances were like the pre-match training drill - ball up, ruck jumps into the bag, straight to a midfielder, handballs through the middle, long kick into 50. And if they won the ball in the back half they just chipped unchallenged short passes around for uncontested marks until they got into a scoring position. It's rare that an entire team is more or less inconsequential to a game for such a sustained period.

A large part of me is positive about it. You can see it coming. But it's just a speck of light at the end of a long, long, long tunnel. We had a game for the taking today and we completely blew it up. Looking at the fixture, it's going to be a while before we get a chance like that again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back