List Mgmt. The 2017 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals Thread (cont. in Part II)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Games played is no reflection whatsoever.

It's not a perfect measure, but I'd have thought it's a reasonable proxy.

The other factor to consider is competition for players. Comparing Beatson's performance to the average recruiter based on games played doesn't take into account players that we may have been interested in drafting but fluffed their interviews because they didn't want to come here or were being courted by clubs in their home states. That would be almost impossible to measure though.

It's not a perfect measure, but I'd have thought it's a reasonable proxy.

The other factor to consider is competition for players. Comparing Beatson's performance to the average recruiter based on games played doesn't take into account players that we may have been interested in drafting but fluffed their interviews because they didn't want to come here or were being courted by clubs in their home states. That would be almost impossible to measure though.

if you go by grand finals for the swans it's

19/75 of Beatson picks have played in a grand final
or
25%

but If you take out Heeney and Mills it's

17/75 of Beatson picks have played in a grand final.
or 22%

Then again we've traded for most of our grand final side(s) soo drafting isn't really important.

Trading is.

For Beatson to be judged against others, he needs to be measured by the players he picks when we finish bottom for a few years running, enabling us to take a few top ten picks in consecutive years, say 3, as the Bulldogs did, as the Demons did, as the Saints did & have crap load of top ten picks gifted to him as GWS did & GC did!
So any judgement of him based on his top 10 choices in his time at the club are just posts filled with trash! Beatson has never had the benefit of multiple top 10 picks to play with & perhaps get one right & one wrong. He has mostly had to deal with guys with a pick as low as 14 at best.

So even when Beatson gets a top ten pick, he needs to make sure that the kid isn't going to be a prime candidate for homesickness. He already has restrictions on him as a recruiter more so than say Wright of Hawthorn would have. If any of these kids show signs in the interview process that they may want to go home after a few 'hard' years, they get crossed off. Less of a problem for the Hawks because any Vic kid would be stoked to go there & stay there.
So Beatson has a different set of parameters to deal with.

But he is getting measured alongside blokes that recruit for teams that actually don't achieve too much, but have some real guns running around on game day!

Now we have a kid (now man) called Rohan that we picked up with pick 6 in 2009 who broke his leg horrifically & I don't know about you, but I thought that was his career gone & if he came back it wouldn't become what it could have without that injury. Refer to Nathan Brown of the Dogs!

We also had picked McVeigh with pick 5 in 2002! (not Beatson I know)
So that is only 2 picks since 2000 in the top 10. Roos & other coaches & recruiters have gone on record to say that other than the top 10 picks in the draft, the rest are pretty much a lottery. Most of our first round pics have been pick 18 or 20!
Beatson's done a remarkable job with our later picks & especially rookies who come to the club cheap, enabling us to squeeze the odd gun into our cap!
A job description I'm sure he was given the run down of before he took the reigns as Sydney Swans recruiter.

Yep! They the facts man!

But here is a vibe!

If we were to be the beneficiary of top 5 draft picks in 3 consecutive years, there would be some interesting after the fact posts to read on here!

Ahh! May we never see that day.

Thanks. I looked up "draft" in the search function, just looking on this board and only looking in the titles and I did not come up with anything other than the 2016 thread. I now know that was because this thread does not have the word "draft" in the title.

Fixed

I said in the other thread we basically need Dangerfield with Lewis Jetta's in field kicking ability.

No, we don't. We just have to look at what types of players we need and then see who is the best available player to fill that need based on what we can afford.

When Tadhg Kennelly retired, we identified run from defence as a gap we needed to fill and signed Rhyce Shaw. Now some criticised this recruitment at the time, but he didn't cost us much, he played a role that we needed, and he became a premiership player as a result. Now I am not a draft or trade expert, but I'm sure that there are plenty of players around who can help us rebuild, we just need to recruit them.

In defence of our recruiting team, we have been a bit limited in terms of what we can afford as a result of the COLA being phased out, but even with salary cap constraints it can be done. In a way, signing Buddy and to a lesser extent Tippett was a departure from our previous recruiting strategy, in Buddy's case you can make an exception as he is a once in a generation player who brings other benefits to the club, but aside from that, there are no excuses for not drafting and trading competently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is he like?

On a side note I am glad we got Florent instead of Simpkin as I have watched Simpkin kick for goal a number of times and he is one of the worst set shots I have ever seen.

Quick, left-foot winger/half back. I think he is about 184cm. I saw a few of his games at U18 champs last year and school footy and he is extremely damaging.

Only realistic chance we have of getting him though is if we really are awful and finish in the top 6 or so in the draft, if we trade for one those picks, or if he gets hurt and slides a bit.

The Giants zone (riverina) has been reduced - Brander in the open draft now.

Ah ok, that is excellent news. Last thing they need is another elite key forward.

Best available for me. This draft is stacked with KPP, especially the top 10 prospects. We could easily find a 10-12 year key defender.
IIRC, most of them are key forwards or rucks.

O'Brien can play but he's a handballer, average left foot kick, if we are trying to add something different he doesn't give us that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back